Battery Temperature

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

We all will have read / been told how range is compromised by a cold battery.

In all my ICE cars it will have had a temperature gauge that displayed the relative temperature of the engine. The cars will have had a conventional heater that started to push hot air out as the engine got warmer. Even on a couple of my motorcycles a similar gauge existed though my calf’s knew the engine temperature ahead of the gauge.

But in the ID.3 ( and many other EV’s I guess ) there doesn’t appear to be a way of determining just how warm the battery is and therefore making the distance remaining (etc) being something of a random number generator.

Wouldn’t you have though an indicator would have been incorporated in to the dash to show us how warm or otherwise that car battery is?

Or am I just being a bit daft ...

Ava
ID.3 1st Edition

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Like this you mean?

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Avalon wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:21 pm
Wouldn’t you have though an indicator would have been incorporated in to the dash to show us how warm or otherwise that car battery is?

Or am I just being a bit daft ...

Not daft at all. My Nissan Leaf has a battery temperature gauge. But then it doesn't have any battery temperature control so this information is very useful, particularly after a couple of rapid charges on a long journey,
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:03 pm Like this you mean?

Yup, though why there can’t be something on the infotainment screen and integral to the car?

A
ID.3 1st Edition
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Maybe there will be at some point, or in the We Connect ID app.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I can understand the question, and it is something I will probably look at as I have Torque Pro and other ODB tools, but need a new dongle.
But In the case of the ID.3 I don't understand how having this information will help you (us)?
If the car has not been used recently then you can assume the temperature is whatever it says on the external temp gauge, from there the car will manage the battery temp either up or down I assume.
Lithium battery technology is well documented to work efficiently at 14C or thereabouts and the cars systems will keep the car at that temperature, the net effect being a reduction in range. I can see the external temperature and the car will do the maths with regards to the range based on heating curve, power etc.
It would just be something else to look at that I can do nothing about?