Wifi connection

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Hi
Thank you for the response.

Yes it connects elsewhere. Right now the car is at my wife's place of work and I can connect to it via WeConnect ID. I successfully started air con remotely yesterday.

I have tried connecting it to my home wi-fi, it appears to connect OK in that it appears on my wi-fi network and shows up as connected in the car. This makes no difference to connectivity, no connection can be made using WeConnect ID.

My car shows 4-bars with an E where 3G or 4G should be when parked at home. I have a 4-bar 4G EE signal on my mobile phone at home (I can see the mast from my back window).

Does this mean I have a fault?
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

luckypants wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am Hi
Thank you for the response.

Yes it connects elsewhere. Right now the car is at my wife's place of work and I can connect to it via WeConnect ID. I successfully started air con remotely yesterday.

I have tried connecting it to my home wi-fi, it appears to connect OK in that it appears on my wi-fi network and shows up as connected in the car. This makes no difference to connectivity, no connection can be made using WeConnect ID.

My car shows 4-bars with an E where 3G or 4G should be when parked at home. I have a 4-bar 4G EE signal on my mobile phone at home (I can see the mast from my back window).

Bear in mine the WeConnectID app is flaky, so most obvious explanation is that it is just coincidence that the app works at your wife's place of work but not at home. Unless there are other differences like at work the ID.3 is charging, at home it is not, as this will change response of the ID.3.
I assume at your wife's place of work the app is only able to communicate via 4G EE, and you have 4G EE at home so the app should work at home just the same.
However, at home your ID.3 will connect to your home wi-fi, so if car tries to use wi-fi to communicate to VW servers and your router blocks the communication then the app wouldn't work when ID.3 at home. It would make sense for car to use wi-fi when possible, as there is no charge to VW for this, whereas there is for 4G. But, we don't have any evidence that ID.3 uses wi-fi for communication back to VW servers.
If I was you I would disconnect your ID.3 from your home wi-fi where you have strong 4G signal and try to connect via the app, if it works straight away then suggests car was trying to use wi-fi, if not then just keep trying until it does connect.
ID.3 will be awake when driving or charging, however my ID.3 sat at dealer's only appears to communicate with the VW servers about every 14 hours. So it appears only communication is only possible under those conditions.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

luckypants wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am

That is E for EDGE which is one of the 2G specs, so you don't even have a 3G signal - doesn't sound like a fault, just a poor signal.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:46 pm
luckypants wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am

That is E for EDGE which is one of the 2G specs, so you don't even have a 3G signal - doesn't sound like a fault, just a poor signal.
Sorry missed that E, agreed just a poor signal.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Smokeyhill

Post by Smokeyhill »

I think I have finally worked out the purpose of having a Wi-Fi connection from your ID3 to your home router, it stops the ‘internet radio is unavailable’ error from appearing on start up. :idea:
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:46 pmThat is E for EDGE which is one of the 2G specs, so you don't even have a 3G signal - doesn't sound like a fault, just a poor signal.
simonrg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:43 pmSorry missed that E, agreed just a poor signal.
OK the car thinks it has an Edge connection (which is too slow to be useful) but where the car is parked at home, my phone has 4-bars of EE 4G. Why does my car not have the same? At my wife's place of work, the car shows a 4G signal in the infotainment screen and her EE phone has a 4G signal.

I think this is a fault on the car as there is a strong EE 4G signal at my house, but the car only shows an Edge connection?
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Smokeyhill wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 pm I think I have finally worked out the purpose of having a Wi-Fi connection from your ID3 to your home router, it stops the ‘internet radio is unavailable’ error from appearing on start up. :idea:
Forever, or until out of WiFi?
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

luckypants wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:13 am I think this is a fault on the car as there is a strong EE 4G signal at my house, but the car only shows an Edge connection?

Does the ID.3 use the EE network where you live?

I heard VW use 2 networks in the UK, but not sure which ones and where it uses each...
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Sorry I didn't answer immediately. I don't know definitely which network VW ID family cars use, but everything I've seen talks about EE. My dealer has thrown their hands up and said they have no idea, pointed me at the WeConnect helpline. So currently seeing what they have to say about not being able to connect when the car is on the drive. (sent over a bunch of photos yesterday)
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:50 am I was also getting a message about incompatible security settings (using WPA2).
At last I figured out.
ID doesn't connect to TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) protocol, but needs AES (Advanced Encryption Standard).
I have TP-Link repeater, and it has only TKIP.
To another router it connects without problems.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

That's one off of the list for me as well. My extenders are also TP-Link. Thanks Kaiz
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
dbradley55

Post by dbradley55 »

Am I correct in assum8ng that after the introductory free period, I will no longer be able to use We Connect ID unless I purchase a data plan for the car from Cubic Telecom? Anyone know what the cost of this would be.
id.3 pro
family
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

dbradley55 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 pm Am I correct in assum8ng that after the introductory free period, I will no longer be able to use We Connect ID unless I purchase a data plan for the car from Cubic Telecom? Anyone know what the cost of this would be.
You do not need to purchase any data for the wifi of the car. This is used if you want you or your passengers to connect to a wifi hotspot.

The running of the We Connect ID app is dealt with via the cars eSIM communication the same eSIM you receive the software updates.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
dbradley55

Post by dbradley55 »

Thanks - that sounds encouraging but surely the software updates and car status info still requires an active cellular subscription to someone?
id.3 pro
family
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

dbradley55 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm Thanks - that sounds encouraging but surely the software updates and car status info still requires an active cellular subscription to someone?
There is an active subscription for the car. Think of it like a premium wifi connection in an airport, if you don't pay for it, the connection is still there but you personally can't use it. You give the airport £10 and they share it with you.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

dbradley55 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm Thanks - that sounds encouraging but surely the software updates and car status info still requires an active cellular subscription to someone?

Your “WeConnect Start” subscription covers the data for software updates and car status info. I believe you get 3 years free from new, and then there’s a further subscription charge after that.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
dbradley55

Post by dbradley55 »

Thanks - that's what I thought
id.3 pro
family
zedmano

Post by zedmano »

2022 id3 Pro with software 3.0 installed but the signal connection in the car here in Ireland (Dublin) says 4G my own phone has 5G can the car pick up 5G ?
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Davion; a thought re your wifi connection issues: your extender name might be the root connection problem; often extenders, by default, are either pre-allocated or allocate themselves a different i/d/name to the original router in your house - only a few types 'adopt' and broadcast the original router id. So your id.3 might be seeing this extender (signal) as something undesirable and thus rejecting it. Perhaps you can 'rename' the extender with the original id/name of your router (there should be a pathway via the extender's app for this), then the car will only 'see' the router you've told it about (assuming you have).
Am about to go down this route (sorry) myself, as driving a vw into my living-room just so's it can talk to the talktalk router via a couple of half-metre thick walls isn't gonna go down overly well with my wife. The grandkids would love it, obs. Maybe try this; if you're still having problems, i'll let you know how my evening of 'entertainment' goes...
atb - ttp
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

turntoport wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:56 pm Davion; a thought re your wifi connection issues: your extender name might be the root connection problem; often extenders, by default, are either pre-allocated or allocate themselves a different i/d/name to the original router in your house - only a few types 'adopt' and broadcast the original router id. So your id.3 might be seeing this extender (signal) as something undesirable and thus rejecting it. Perhaps you can 'rename' the extender with the original id/name of your router (there should be a pathway via the extender's app for this), then the car will only 'see' the router you've told it about (assuming you have).
Am about to go down this route (sorry) myself, as driving a vw into my living-room just so's it can talk to the talktalk router via a couple of half-metre thick walls isn't gonna go down overly well with my wife. The grandkids would love it, obs. Maybe try this; if you're still having problems, i'll let you know how my evening of 'entertainment' goes...
atb - ttp
Your replying to an issue origianlly from 15 months ago. I think we then all worked out that there's no point in connecting the car to the house Wifi anyway as it's pointless unless you want to sit in your car and listen to Internet Radio. Updates are not available via Wifi annoyingly.