I’ve given up and cancelled my order

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jono

Post by Jono »

Just a quick update on my continuing saga of the ID3 that I nearly had. I’ve pasted my email to VW Executive office below.
—-
Case number - VW2356522X

Hi

I just wanted to ensure that someone who may possibly care, gets a chance to respond, as your UK customer support have been useless.

I was due to collect a brand new ID3 Max (with extras) on March 12th, the car retail price was over £44K. Unfortunately 12 hours before collection, it was cancelled due to the car failing the V2.1 update, it seems to be a very common problem.

The dealer has been professional and helpful but has received appalling support from VW UK.

I logged a call with VW myself, but despite being promised it would be escaped and a call handler assigned, it took nearly a week and 3 further calls from me before I eventually spoke to someone. It turned out to be a waste of time as I was told that VW were not aware of any software issues with the ID3 or problems with updates - I was astounded.

Meanwhile my dealer had been given a date of March 31st for new parts, I agreed to live with this. Sadly VW then decided to issue a software fix and in my opinion, arrogantly, postponed shipping parts until it had been attempted. It wasn’t a surprise when the fix didn’t work and as the part had been held, the date slipped again. The latest was that the part may arrive on April 7th, but that’s anyone’s guess.

The car had originally been registered to me, but I’ve now given up and cancelled the order - it’s just not acceptable to wait a full month to get a brand new car fixed and drivable. I think that VW’s approach to handling the problem has been woeful, poor communication (in fact zero) and an arrogant, couldn’t care less attitude really sums things up.

I’m not on my own feeling like this, I’m aware of numerous cars rendered un-drivable after software updates, some sat at dealers for weeks, in fact I’m now aware of at least 3 owners who have started the formal rejection process.

The common theme from everyone I’ve spoken to is - good dealer, but lack of ownership and dreadful communication from VW.

I can’t remember the reg number (never actually got the car), but the Case number is VW2356522X

Kind Regards
Jonathan
(A very disillusioned, almost VW customer)

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Sad to hear Jono, but I understand your frustration.
I am hoping to get an ID3 Life later in the year; with 2.1 or 2.2 already onboard and ready for OTA updates.
I live at least 100 miles from my nearest dealer here in Scotland - I don't want to have to make multiple visits!
I wish you well with whatever you decide to buy - one of the new Kia EV6 or IONIQ 5 perhaps?
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

Really sorry to hear about your experience. To be honest, I'm sure I would have done the same thing and pulled out.

Just as a side note. My First Edition we got end Nov didn't really have any SW problems and had it's 2.1 update a week ago no problems. All been great for me. I'm not sure why some cars have more problems than others.
Jono

Post by Jono »

I think you’ve hit it spot on - why do some cars have problems and others not - even VW don’t seem to know, or if they do they aren’t telling the dealers. If there was a pattern of certain Ver numbers giving problems, parts could be ore ordered so they were immediately available if things failed.

I’m now looking at other options

EV6 or possibly the Ford

In my opinion, VW are trading on a past reputation, that’s no longer justified
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Sorry to hear that Jono. You certainly seem to have had the worst of experiences. Before buying the ID3 I had a Kuga PHEV on order for Sept 2020 delivery but was advised the date would go back to March - May 2021 because of battery fires so cancelled.
Like you I never got to drive one as an owner. Extra disappointment as I served 23 years with Ford as a Design Engineer and stayed loyal to the brand for years.
Bottom line is I have some idea of how you feel. You research, soak up topics in the forum and look forward to your new car and it doesn't materialise. My take on Customer Service not being aware of any SW problems is a typical Corporate helpdesk ploy. Honesty would surely serve best. It would be interesting to know what percentage of cars have had problems. This forum is I would think not a huge slice of cars on the road but reflects the general trends.
I have covered a 1,000 miles now and have had little niggles but nothing to take away the pleasure the car is to drive. It was a shame you never got closer to that experience.
Best wishes for your next vehicle.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Raxacorico wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:15 am Sad to hear Jono, but I understand your frustration.
I am hoping to get an ID3 Life later in the year; with 2.1 or 2.2 already onboard and ready for OTA updates.
I live at least 100 miles from my nearest dealer here in Scotland - I don't want to have to make multiple visits!
I wish you well with whatever you decide to buy - one of the new Kia EV6 or IONIQ 5 perhaps?

I picked up mine last Friday, but it was touch and go as to whether I could go and pick it up on the day. But the dealership kept me updated. Basically they have to install 2.1 before it goes out now, it's become VW policy apparently, and because it relies on 4G it can fail downloading apparently. Mine failed once, the techs started it again in the morning and it was fine by the afternoon.

It does seem a little silly, why it can't be done by SD card or plugging in some other way I don't know.

Enough to cancel the order though?

I would say make sure they have got the car updated before agreeing a handover day if you need to drive 100 miles.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

So, when will cars arrive at dealerships with 2.1 already installed?
I'm sure someone on this forum said they were building them (version 2.1 installed) from calendar week eight, which is quite a while ago!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Raxacorico wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 am So, when will cars arrive at dealerships with 2.1 already installed?
I'm sure someone on this forum said they were building them (version 2.1 installed) from calendar week eight, which is quite a while ago!
Don't forget that process from start to finish is around 3-4 months. Therefore if they said week eight I would imagine you would be looking at end of May earliest.
GaSelle

Post by GaSelle »

Raxacorico wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 am So, when will cars arrive at dealerships with 2.1 already installed?
We took delivery of a 58KWh/145BHP Life last Sunday. It was built/delivered with 2.1. Only a week in, but no faults of odd behaviour so far.
´21 Life Pro - 145Hp - Mangan Grey
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Many thanks GaSelle!
I've contacted a dealership, and hope to do a test drive of a 'Life' towards the end of the month, Covid rules permitting of course.
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

Wow £44k!!!! You get a Model 3 for less monies with more range, better charging infrastructure and tech
SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441