Totally my fault - but a warning to others - park button

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jono

Post by Jono »

I appreciate this is my own fault, but I’m sharing, to warn other.

This morning, I reached to move the drive selector from “D” to “B” - unfortunately at the very moment, I suddenly sneezed and managed to catch / press the “P button on the end.

The car braked very hard, so much that I was thrown forward. I accept that its my fault, but I’m surprised the car allowed it to happen. I’ve driven cars with auto parking breaks previously and I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t have activated - I know in my last car that if I pressed the park break too soon, it got cross and came up with a message.

Thankfully I was only travelling at about 20, with no one behind, so no real harm done. It could have been very different if I’d been travelling faster.

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Thanks for the warning. Related to this I've often wondered what would happen if you select R by mistake instead of D/B when driving.....?
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

The car certainly allows this to happen. The P button acts as an emergency brake if the main brakes fail. All cars must have a secondary braking system, you activated this and it performed as it should have.
RobGDee

Post by RobGDee »

I second Sparky's comment. It's been standard practice in all cars I've had with an auto box and electronic handbrake. I had an A8 a few years ago and the break line split on country lanes, pedal just dropped to the floor over about 5 seconds. I was very very grateful for the emergency brake as with any auto there's just no other way to stop. I would add that potentially it's a bit too easy to activate in the ID.3, the Audi hand / emergency brake would be very difficult to pull by accident.
ID3 1st UK.
Jono

Post by Jono »

According to others posting on here, it’s only supposed to operate as an emergency break if held in. In my case, that’s was definitely not the case.
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

Jono wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:57 pm According to others posting on here, it’s only supposed to operate as an emergency break if held in. In my case, that’s was definitely not the case.
indeed! you will have to keep pressing it. same with the LEAF you have to keep pulling the parking brake liver to activate emergency brake (pressing the P while driving doesn't do anything but sounding a bieb. when briefly pressing P with the Model 3 while driving nothing happens but a bieb as it should
SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441