Delighted

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Doug

Post by Doug »

Picked her up on 1st April.
What a car! Quiet, responsive, roomy.
I trawled through the posts over the weekend to pick up on any tips etc and found a couple of posts regarding the in built phone charger. Delighted to see that mine has the charger enabled and it works well with both our Apple iPhones.
Big day tomorrow- south coast to Rochdale and back in a day. Will let you know how it pans out..

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Blimey, that’s a good journey to take on!

Your first EV?
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Congratulations on being an ID.3 owner! As scott28tt indicates, I hope you've had EV experience before. That journey is eminently feasible but EV rapid charging does have its nuances if you've not done it before....
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Doug wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 pm Picked her up on 1st April.
What a car! Quiet, responsive, roomy.
I trawled through the posts over the weekend to pick up on any tips etc and found a couple of posts regarding the in built phone charger. Delighted to see that mine has the charger enabled and it works well with both our Apple iPhones.
Big day tomorrow- south coast to Rochdale and back in a day. Will let you know how it pans out..

Yes, please do! If https://gridserve.com/ had forecourts across the nation, it would certainly be easy, if not pleasurable even!!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Raxacorico wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:48 pm
Doug wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 pm If https://gridserve.com/ had forecourts across the nation, it would certainly be easy, if not pleasurable even!!
Unfortunately the only Gridserve site up and running as yet is at the other side of the country from me but I will certainly visit it when I visit my sister after lockdown eases. I hear they're partnering with Ecotricity to upgrade the chargepoints at motorway services, and later to increase the numbers of points per site.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Doug

Post by Doug »

Update half way through journey.

Left Chichester West Sussex this morning with battery 100% temperature 4 degrees. Did not exceed 70 MPH but kept close to it. Recharged with EON fast charger (150kw capable) for 22 minutes on North side of Birmingham. Arrived Rochdale with 98 miles remaining. Now recharging on 7kw BE charger in public car park.
Plan has changed and my return to chichester is now via Northampton so will be using the M1 to go home. Update tomorrow.
1st ever journey in an EV. Still delighted.
PS- Heavy snow causes the autopilot function to switch off and display a whole raft of warnings....
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Doug wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:04 pm Update half way through journey.

Left Chichester West Sussex this morning with battery 100% temperature 4 degrees. Did not exceed 70 MPH but kept close to it. Recharged with EON fast charger (150kw capable) for 22 minutes on North side of Birmingham. Arrived Rochdale with 98 miles remaining. Now recharging on 7kw BE charger in public car park.
Plan has changed and my return to chichester is now via Northampton so will be using the M1 to go home. Update tomorrow.
1st ever journey in an EV. Still delighted.
PS- Heavy snow causes the autopilot function to switch off and display a whole raft of warnings....
Make sure you go into we charge and sign up for we charge go (which is free for the first year inside the we connect app) as the price of using ionity chargers drops a lot. As they have one at Milton keynes/Newport Pagnell.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Return journey...
My customer in Rochdale had a problem which delayed my departure to 2300 so a local Premier inn was used to grab a few hours sleep having recharged on a public car park free 7kw outlet.
Awoke this morning to minus 3.5 and 50 miles ‘missing’ from my range. Strangely this range returned over the first hour or so on the road. It was comforting to see the range increasing as I drove..
I had another detour to collect my son from Northampton Uni so it was back south on the M1. Morrison’s have a 50kw charger in Northampton but I had to queue for 20 minutes to get on it. £9.00 later I had enough range to make it back to chichester so:

Full charge to start yesterday
£6 at Birmingham on way up
£ free 4.5 hours at 7kw in Rochdale
£9 at Notthampton on way back
Arrived chichester on ‘recharge battery’ warning

Still delighted!
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Doug wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 pm Return journey...
My customer in Rochdale had a problem which delayed my departure to 2300 so a local Premier inn was used to grab a few hours sleep having recharged on a public car park free 7kw outlet.
Awoke this morning to minus 3.5 and 50 miles ‘missing’ from my range. Strangely this range returned over the first hour or so on the road. It was comforting to see the range increasing as I drove..
I had another detour to collect my son from Northampton Uni so it was back south on the M1. Morrison’s have a 50kw charger in Northampton but I had to queue for 20 minutes to get on it. £9.00 later I had enough range to make it back to chichester so:

Still delighted!
So, after recharging at home, how much for the total trip please?
And how many miles? According to Google approx. 270 miles, but you may have chosen a 'longer' route because of business/picking up your son!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Doug wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 pm Return journey...

Still delighted!
You've highlighted something that I wondered if it would happen. On a cold day, after 30 minutes of motorway driving the battery would be warm and be more efficient.

I mentioned in another post today too, that a couple of degrees of temperature inside the car too killed my range by a mile per kw/h (so around 58 miles on the whole battery). I will be wearing my North face inside the car in winter.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Doug wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 pm Awoke this morning to minus 3.5 and 50 miles ‘missing’ from my range. Strangely this range returned over the first hour or so on the road. It was comforting to see the range increasing as I drove..

Sounds normal for the difference in temperatures (ambient and battery) between the various times when you viewed the estimated range.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I guess if you add in the recharge at home on my return then the total cost was around £20-£22 for the 600 mile trip. In my Any one of the other available diesel cars I guess it would have been more like 90 litres at £1.20 so a substantial saving in fuel. The Northampton stop could have been cheaper as the cost was £0.45 per kWh . It was the only ‘fast’ charger around so I had to use it.
Understand the cold battery scenario as well. My heater (or renamed now to A/C) hardly makes an difference to the range strangely?
I achieved an average of 4.1 miles per kWh over the journey.
ACC is the way to go on Motorways. Just set it to 65 mph and let it do the work. Indicate to pull out around trucks and it accelerates nicely until another vehicle is in front then it matches the speed again. The ACC is exposing my awful driving habits! It will resist me changing lanes unless I indicate first...
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply - total journey miles and cost!
4.1 miles per kWh sounds good, so total range approx. 238 miles.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Doug wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 am I guess if you add in the recharge at home on my return then the total cost was around £20-£22 for the 600 mile trip. In my Any one of the other available diesel cars I guess it would have been more like 90 litres at £1.20 so a substantial saving in fuel. The Northampton stop could have been cheaper as the cost was £0.45 per kWh . It was the only ‘fast’ charger around so I had to use it.
Understand the cold battery scenario as well. My heater (or renamed now to A/C) hardly makes an difference to the range strangely?
I achieved an average of 4.1 miles per kWh over the journey.
ACC is the way to go on Motorways. Just set it to 65 mph and let it do the work. Indicate to pull out around trucks and it accelerates nicely until another vehicle is in front then it matches the speed again. The ACC is exposing my awful driving habits! It will resist me changing lanes unless I indicate first...
4.1 sounds promising, better than anything I have achieved. (3.7 being best)
Yes ACC does expose your habits, I found that out in my Tiguan as I had both ACC and lane control.. it also exposed my wife's tailgating habits that we've 'debated' for years. I thought I'd find the Automatic change of speed when passing through different speed zones annoying but I actually find the whole thing quite relaxing now.. My only issue is with a section near me where there used to be a National speed limit section of a few hundred yards in between two 30 zones. The whole section is 30 now but the car doesn't know that and still surges to 60 if allowed.