Best practice heating

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Ah - I have just understood what you mean - in which case I stand corrected as it does only appear to pre-condition when plugged in!

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

OllyExeterID3 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 am Ah - I have just understood what you mean - in which case I stand corrected as it does only appear to pre-condition when plugged in!
I thought the standing AC would function without being plugged in providing the battery had a reasonable charge level. What that level is Im not sure. This morning I tried the standing AC on 57% bat capacity unplugged 22C and left the car to de-ice.
10 mins later returned and found the car was still iced up. The fan was running but no heating at all?
Cleared the screen with a scaper and set off. Heating was immediate once the car was on/drive available.
The reason I did it this way is because I cannot get the AC to start via the app. Setting it to start once unlocked makes no difference plugged in or unplugged. The app hangs and eventually reports a connection error. On my car this has been the same situation both pre and post 2.1.
We have another early frosty start tomorrow so will try again but plugged in.
Any advice on setting the AC to start from the app would be much appreciated.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Daveion wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 am
OllyExeterID3 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 am Ah - I have just understood what you mean - in which case I stand corrected as it does only appear to pre-condition when plugged in!
I thought the standing AC would function without being plugged in providing the battery had a reasonable charge level. What that level is Im not sure. This morning I tried the standing AC on 57% bat capacity unplugged 22C and left the car to de-ice.
10 mins later returned and found the car was still iced up. The fan was running but no heating at all?
Cleared the screen with a scaper and set off. Heating was immediate once the car was on/drive available.
The reason I did it this way is because I cannot get the AC to start via the app. Setting it to start once unlocked makes no difference plugged in or unplugged. The app hangs and eventually reports a connection error. On my car this has been the same situation both pre and post 2.1.
We have another early frosty start tomorrow so will try again but plugged in.
Any advice on setting the AC to start from the app would be much appreciated.
It definitely does function when standing, it's a separate thing we're discussing about whether or not it's more efficient (definitely is when plugged in, I would say it isn't if it's not plugged in)

However in your case it definitely works via the app as I did it this morning, I just pressed start on the homepage as mine is set to 20.5 degrees. Are you getting no heat at all? Or is it the windows not defrosting?

In the app, go to the vehicle tab, settings, in there is automatic window heating, which will kick on the window and mirror heaters if you turn on the air conditioning.

I did have the app hang once when synchronising the car, but only once so far.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

"In the app, go to the vehicle tab, settings, in there is automatic window heating, which will kick on the window and mirror heaters if you turn on the air conditioning.

I did have the app hang once when synchronising the car, but only once so far."

So I checked the app and the window heating option was off. I thought this option only applied to models with Heat Pumps?
That said if my normal setting includes the screen I would have thought air would be directed there.

This morning all I had was the fan, nothing else.
My app has hung a lot more since 2.1. I deleted it and reinstalled and there was an improvement. I need try the app now I have set the windiw heating to ON.

Thanks for your help.
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Daveion wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:18 pm "In the app, go to the vehicle tab, settings, in there is automatic window heating, which will kick on the window and mirror heaters if you turn on the air conditioning.

I did have the app hang once when synchronising the car, but only once so far."

So I checked the app and the window heating option was off. I thought this option only applied to models with Heat Pumps?
That said if my normal setting includes the screen I would have thought air would be directed there.

This morning all I had was the fan, nothing else.
My app has hung a lot more since 2.1. I deleted it and reinstalled and there was an improvement. I need try the app now I have set the windiw heating to ON.

Thanks for your help.
Dave
No problem, if you were getting heat in the car generally but the windows were frosted, I can only presume this was the issue.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

There was no heat at all. The temperature in the car was 4C. The fan was running but just distributing ice cold air.
I have tried a number of different things with set ups on and off all day and I had 2 consistent outcomes.
1, the app hangs followed by the message Error, not possible to connect to the car try later.
2, in the car the fan starts then stops after around 30 seconds.
To be clear this is the AC setting in stationary non drive mode. When drive is enabled and I drive off the AC is perfect. All heater controls work 100%.
Its a bit frustrating but will live with it like this until it next needs to go into the dealership.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22