Android Auto

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Yes, my humble apologies I hadn't realised the WiFi was the same name as the BT. (Actually mine isn't but that's because I renamed my WiFi in the car messing around when I first got it). So actually I was checking my bluetooth settings and not bothering to check my WiFi assuming it was using only BT.
This was also in my mind confirmed by looking at the Android Auto connection instructions.

"Important: The first time that you connect your phone to the car, you’re required to pair your phone and car via Bluetooth. For best results, keep Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Location Services turned on during setup. Make sure that your car is in park (P) and allow time to set up Android Auto before you start your drive." To me this made BT the more important of the connections.

This also now explains why whenever I sit in the car I can't get the car to connect to my home WiFi.

So I disabled WIfi altogether and lost connection unless plugged in.. Now I think about it I don't think Android Auto worked in the Tiguan unless I plugged in despite BT working for phone.

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm Yes, my humble apologies I hadn't realised the WiFi was the same name as the BT. (Actually mine isn't but that's because I renamed my WiFi in the car messing around when I first got it). So actually I was checking my bluetooth settings and not bothering to check my WiFi assuming it was using only BT.
This was also in my mind confirmed by looking at the Android Auto connection instructions.

"Important: The first time that you connect your phone to the car, you’re required to pair your phone and car via Bluetooth. For best results, keep Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Location Services turned on during setup. Make sure that your car is in park (P) and allow time to set up Android Auto before you start your drive." To me this made BT the more important of the connections.

This also now explains why whenever I sit in the car I can't get the car to connect to my home WiFi.

So I disabled WIfi altogether and lost connection unless plugged in.. Now I think about it I don't think Android Auto worked in the Tiguan unless I plugged in despite BT working for phone.
Thanks that makes sense now, my phone says repair so I will try that when I get the car back.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

kaiz wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am But no hotspot neither in car, nor in phone is needed.
Thought, that I'm wise. Checked today, and wifi hotspot in car goes on automatically.
If I switched off, AA was disconnected, and then hotspot was on again and AA connected. :P
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
steve

Post by steve »

I always use Android Auto via the USB cable. My phone has Android 10 and I don't think wireless Android Auto (which I take to mean by wifi not Bluetooth, but I don't know) is available until Android 11