Android Auto

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

You don't need to connect to the cars Wifi or to connect the car to your phones wifi as a hotspot.

You are suggesting the bluetooth connection works for phone calls so the connection should be there.
When you go into the menu on the car does it say 'App Connect' or does it show Android Auto?
There is also another menu in settings where you can turn on and off 'Use infotainment as hotspot' or words to that effect. Turning that off immediately disconnected my phone from AA.

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm You don't need to connect to the cars Wifi or to connect the car to your phones wifi as a hotspot.

You are suggesting the bluetooth connection works for phone calls so the connection should be there.
When you go into the menu on the car does it say 'App Connect' or does it show Android Auto?
There is also another menu in settings where you can turn on and off 'Use infotainment as hotspot' or words to that effect. Turning that off immediately disconnected my phone from AA.

Yes I'm connected only phone via bluetooth fine to use it as a regular phone. App connect is just showing as app connect. I can only get it to show as Android Auto if I plug it in via USB and then disable bluetooth.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Under settings - WiFi - Is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)
Also under Settings - Mobile Devices can you identify your phone and is the AA symbol greyed out or lit? Clicking this reinitiates the connection and verification if I disconnect by switching off hotspot? (This being done with only BT connection, no USB)
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Took a ride, and looked over.
Wifi is My VW xxxx (last vin digits). Same had BT connection.
I have no hotspot in phone or car.
In AA settings in phone I found 'Wireless projection' switched, maybe that for? :roll:
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 pm Under settings - WiFi - Is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)
Also under Settings - Mobile Devices can you identify your phone and is the AA symbol greyed out or lit? Clicking this reinitiates the connection and verification if I disconnect by switching off hotspot? (This being done with only BT connection, no USB)
Okay, I've fixed it after sitting in the car for 20 minutes.

Hotspot was enabled anyway, so there was no issue there.

I looked through the android auto settings on my phone and Wireless Android Auto was not enabled, so I enabled that. Still nothing.

I plugged it in via cable, got the android auto to come up. Unplugged it. Nothing. Plugged it back in, signed into the wireless network of the car, unplugged and it worked! Tested it out a bit and seems that you needed to have it plugged in first after enabling wireless on the phone, then it works. But you do have to be signed into the network of the car.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

CarterHounslow wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm
G43FAN wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 pm Under settings - WiFi - Is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)
Okay, I've fixed it after sitting in the car for 20 minutes.

Hotspot was enabled anyway, so there was no issue there.

I looked through the android auto settings on my phone and Wireless Android Auto was not enabled, so I enabled that. Still nothing.

I plugged it in via cable, got the android auto to come up. Unplugged it. Nothing. Plugged it back in, signed into the wireless network of the car, unplugged and it worked! Tested it out a bit and seems that you needed to have it plugged in first after enabling wireless on the phone, then it works. But you do have to be signed into the network of the car.
Shouldn't AA work over bluetooth not wifi?

If you connect to the car's wifi and the car does not have a data package then won't things like email not be able to get messages, Spotify won't get music etc? If my phone is connected to a wifi then I thought it wouldn't use mobile phone data.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

As I understand, it won't use car wifi, only data moves through wifi.
Unchecked 'Wireless projection' in phone and connection was lost.
But no hotspot neither in car, nor in phone is needed. :P
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I thought from you're update you were connecting to My VW XXXX? That's the BT ID.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm I thought from you're update you were connecting to My VW XXXX? That's the BT ID.
Ok obviously rather confusing as both bluetooth (BT) and wi-fi are wireless, plus even voice is really data so both carry data, but I think BT is like plugging in a USB cable to a computer, whereas wi-fi is like plugging in an ethernet cable.

I had assumed that one connects to BT not wi-fi hotspot, but your previous post had stated "Under settings - WiFi - is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)" - hence it appeared you were recommending connecting to the ID.3's wi-fi hotspot.

I think both the wi-fi hotspot and BT are called My VW XXXX.

Sorry, I can't try it on my own ID.3 as it is spending its second week with the dealer for 97ET recall (2.1 installation) and the loan 1st Edition only has 0564. I was struggling with my ID.3 on 0783 to get reliable AA connection, thanks.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I have tested this a lot now since fixing it, I definitely have to be on the wireless network VW XXXX on my phone, if I am not, android will not work wireless.

Thankfully it's pretty automatic, soon as I'm out of home WiFi range the phone picks up the car WiFi and kicks andoird auto on. If I want to get it working before I leave I have to change networks.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Yes, my humble apologies I hadn't realised the WiFi was the same name as the BT. (Actually mine isn't but that's because I renamed my WiFi in the car messing around when I first got it). So actually I was checking my bluetooth settings and not bothering to check my WiFi assuming it was using only BT.
This was also in my mind confirmed by looking at the Android Auto connection instructions.

"Important: The first time that you connect your phone to the car, you’re required to pair your phone and car via Bluetooth. For best results, keep Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Location Services turned on during setup. Make sure that your car is in park (P) and allow time to set up Android Auto before you start your drive." To me this made BT the more important of the connections.

This also now explains why whenever I sit in the car I can't get the car to connect to my home WiFi.

So I disabled WIfi altogether and lost connection unless plugged in.. Now I think about it I don't think Android Auto worked in the Tiguan unless I plugged in despite BT working for phone.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm Yes, my humble apologies I hadn't realised the WiFi was the same name as the BT. (Actually mine isn't but that's because I renamed my WiFi in the car messing around when I first got it). So actually I was checking my bluetooth settings and not bothering to check my WiFi assuming it was using only BT.
This was also in my mind confirmed by looking at the Android Auto connection instructions.

"Important: The first time that you connect your phone to the car, you’re required to pair your phone and car via Bluetooth. For best results, keep Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Location Services turned on during setup. Make sure that your car is in park (P) and allow time to set up Android Auto before you start your drive." To me this made BT the more important of the connections.

This also now explains why whenever I sit in the car I can't get the car to connect to my home WiFi.

So I disabled WIfi altogether and lost connection unless plugged in.. Now I think about it I don't think Android Auto worked in the Tiguan unless I plugged in despite BT working for phone.
Thanks that makes sense now, my phone says repair so I will try that when I get the car back.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

kaiz wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am But no hotspot neither in car, nor in phone is needed.
Thought, that I'm wise. Checked today, and wifi hotspot in car goes on automatically.
If I switched off, AA was disconnected, and then hotspot was on again and AA connected. :P
steve

Post by steve »

I always use Android Auto via the USB cable. My phone has Android 10 and I don't think wireless Android Auto (which I take to mean by wifi not Bluetooth, but I don't know) is available until Android 11