Android Auto

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am

Re: Android Auto

Post by G43FAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm

You don't need to connect to the cars Wifi or to connect the car to your phones wifi as a hotspot.

You are suggesting the bluetooth connection works for phone calls so the connection should be there.
When you go into the menu on the car does it say 'App Connect' or does it show Android Auto?
There is also another menu in settings where you can turn on and off 'Use infotainment as hotspot' or words to that effect. Turning that off immediately disconnected my phone from AA.
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

CarterHounslow
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: Android Auto

Post by CarterHounslow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 pm

G43FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm
You don't need to connect to the cars Wifi or to connect the car to your phones wifi as a hotspot.

You are suggesting the bluetooth connection works for phone calls so the connection should be there.
When you go into the menu on the car does it say 'App Connect' or does it show Android Auto?
There is also another menu in settings where you can turn on and off 'Use infotainment as hotspot' or words to that effect. Turning that off immediately disconnected my phone from AA.

Yes I'm connected only phone via bluetooth fine to use it as a regular phone. App connect is just showing as app connect. I can only get it to show as Android Auto if I plug it in via USB and then disable bluetooth.

G43FAN
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am

Re: Android Auto

Post by G43FAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 pm

Under settings - WiFi - Is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)
Also under Settings - Mobile Devices can you identify your phone and is the AA symbol greyed out or lit? Clicking this reinitiates the connection and verification if I disconnect by switching off hotspot? (This being done with only BT connection, no USB)
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

User avatar
kaiz
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:34 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Android Auto

Post by kaiz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Took a ride, and looked over.
Wifi is My VW xxxx (last vin digits). Same had BT connection.
I have no hotspot in phone or car.
In AA settings in phone I found 'Wireless projection' switched, maybe that for? :roll:
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.

CarterHounslow
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: Android Auto

Post by CarterHounslow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm

G43FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 pm
Under settings - WiFi - Is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)
Also under Settings - Mobile Devices can you identify your phone and is the AA symbol greyed out or lit? Clicking this reinitiates the connection and verification if I disconnect by switching off hotspot? (This being done with only BT connection, no USB)
Okay, I've fixed it after sitting in the car for 20 minutes.

Hotspot was enabled anyway, so there was no issue there.

I looked through the android auto settings on my phone and Wireless Android Auto was not enabled, so I enabled that. Still nothing.

I plugged it in via cable, got the android auto to come up. Unplugged it. Nothing. Plugged it back in, signed into the wireless network of the car, unplugged and it worked! Tested it out a bit and seems that you needed to have it plugged in first after enabling wireless on the phone, then it works. But you do have to be signed into the network of the car.

simonrg
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Android Auto

Post by simonrg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:59 pm

CarterHounslow wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm
G43FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 pm
Under settings - WiFi - Is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)
Also under Settings - Mobile Devices can you identify your phone and is the AA symbol greyed out or lit? Clicking this reinitiates the connection and verification if I disconnect by switching off hotspot? (This being done with only BT connection, no USB)
Okay, I've fixed it after sitting in the car for 20 minutes.

Hotspot was enabled anyway, so there was no issue there.

I looked through the android auto settings on my phone and Wireless Android Auto was not enabled, so I enabled that. Still nothing.

I plugged it in via cable, got the android auto to come up. Unplugged it. Nothing. Plugged it back in, signed into the wireless network of the car, unplugged and it worked! Tested it out a bit and seems that you needed to have it plugged in first after enabling wireless on the phone, then it works. But you do have to be signed into the network of the car.
Shouldn't AA work over bluetooth not wifi?

If you connect to the car's wifi and the car does not have a data package then won't things like email not be able to get messages, Spotify won't get music etc? If my phone is connected to a wifi then I thought it wouldn't use mobile phone data.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance 204PS 1-speed automatic 5 Door + Heat Pump - Software 0783 (28/1/21) Hardware H20
Collected 23rd December 2020 - North Yorkshire

User avatar
kaiz
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:34 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Android Auto

Post by kaiz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am

As I understand, it won't use car wifi, only data moves through wifi.
Unchecked 'Wireless projection' in phone and connection was lost.
But no hotspot neither in car, nor in phone is needed. :P
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.

G43FAN
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am

Re: Android Auto

Post by G43FAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

I thought from you're update you were connecting to My VW XXXX? That's the BT ID.
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

simonrg
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Android Auto

Post by simonrg » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm

G43FAN wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm
I thought from you're update you were connecting to My VW XXXX? That's the BT ID.
Ok obviously rather confusing as both bluetooth (BT) and wi-fi are wireless, plus even voice is really data so both carry data, but I think BT is like plugging in a USB cable to a computer, whereas wi-fi is like plugging in an ethernet cable.

I had assumed that one connects to BT not wi-fi hotspot, but your previous post had stated "Under settings - WiFi - is use as Hotspot enabled? (For me if this is disabled then I can only use AA with USB Cable)" - hence it appeared you were recommending connecting to the ID.3's wi-fi hotspot.

I think both the wi-fi hotspot and BT are called My VW XXXX.

Sorry, I can't try it on my own ID.3 as it is spending its second week with the dealer for 97ET recall (2.1 installation) and the loan 1st Edition only has 0564. I was struggling with my ID.3 on 0783 to get reliable AA connection, thanks.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance 204PS 1-speed automatic 5 Door + Heat Pump - Software 0783 (28/1/21) Hardware H20
Collected 23rd December 2020 - North Yorkshire

CarterHounslow
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: Android Auto

Post by CarterHounslow » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:21 pm

I have tested this a lot now since fixing it, I definitely have to be on the wireless network VW XXXX on my phone, if I am not, android will not work wireless.

Thankfully it's pretty automatic, soon as I'm out of home WiFi range the phone picks up the car WiFi and kicks andoird auto on. If I want to get it working before I leave I have to change networks.

Post Reply