Pod Point now support scheduled charging!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

PodPoint finally support timed charging in the latest version of their app:

• Update your iOS/Android app
  • Go to the At Home area
  • Press the ? in the top-right and read the notes
  • Set a schedule and save it
Then just make sure your car is plugged in ;-)

I shall give it a test later...

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Will try this too later. Just wondering, if the car isn't charging will it lock the cable in? Or will it anyway because I've locked the car?
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

For anyone interested and didn't know, if you want to test this out and you're on a 7.4kw connection, it should in theory charge at 283 seconds per percent of battery, for those who want to reach a particular percentage at a certain time and not have the car sat around charging for no reason.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There's no such thing as a constant charging rate for lithium technology batteries.. (in fact any battery) the rate of charge is based on the amount of charge at any one point and is somewhat akin to blowing up a balloon in that as the pressure (charge) increases the amount of effort needed increases. This is why it's suggested that when in a hurry to charge you stop at 80% on a Fast charger as at that point the rate slows down.

There will be a point at which you gain a % every 4-5 minutes but that rate will vary over the entire charge period.
DadGrifty

Post by DadGrifty »

Thank you Scott28tt. That is very useful news, I have just updated my PodPoint app and it is all sitting there as you say. I'll give it a go when I next need a charge. The problem I had was that when scheduling a charge using the ID.3 on-board controls the overnight charge was painfully slow (8mph vs 25 mph if I just charged without scheduling). I'll let you know how I get on, probably not till Monday as we're still pretty much confined to barracks in Scotland.
Go far with mjr

Post by Go far with mjr »

Have set time for tonight but green light is charging now 5pm!
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm There's no such thing as a constant charging rate for lithium technology batteries.. (in fact any battery) the rate of charge is based on the amount of charge at any one point and is somewhat akin to blowing up a balloon in that as the pressure (charge) increases the amount of effort needed increases. This is why it's suggested that when in a hurry to charge you stop at 80% on a Fast charger as at that point the rate slows down.

There will be a point at which you gain a % every 4-5 minutes but that rate will vary over the entire charge period.

I've been keeping a very close eye on my 7.4kw charger at home and it's incredibly consistent. I understand that for the DC public chargers there is a huge variance, but I'm getting constant rates at home.
Go far with mjr

Now have red light so presume we are go for midnight
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Go far with mjr wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:36 pm Now have red light so presume we are go for midnight
I don't know about Pod Point - but if you mean the red light on the car by the charging point, that normally means an error with the connection, but if that is normal for Pod Point then ok.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 192

Go far with mjr wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm Have set time for tonight but green light is charging now 5pm!

Mine worked as expected, confirmed by checking the IHD for my smart meter during the timed charge. The VW app and Tronity app both showed the charge taking place, and the Pod Point app showed it when I checked after it had finished.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

If i set it to turn on at 00.30 Saturday morning and turn off at 7.30 but put the lead in Friday night will it wait til Saturday to start?
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Have checked my pod point app snd have set up to charge tonight and hopefully works

Had our 1st edition updated to 2.1 on Wednesday and tried timed charging last night with 0430 ready time , but only reached 71% by 0600 and was charging still at a very slow rate

Have turned off as useless again (frustrated!) was hoping 2.1 would have sorted issue

But if pod point works all will be good!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Go far with mjr

All systems go on Go and pod point app.
Charged overnight to 81%.

Will probably still use Sainsbury’s once a week free 22Kw
Deleted User 192

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:15 am If i set it to turn on at 00.30 Saturday morning and turn off at 7.30 but put the lead in Friday night will it wait til Saturday to start?

Yes, that's the whole point ;-)
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Go far with mjr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 am All systems go on Go and pod point app.
Charged overnight to 81%.

Will probably still use Sainsbury’s once a week free 22Kw
Free 11kw (won't charge over 11kw as this is the max AC rate)
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Hoppy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am Have checked my pod point app snd have set up to charge tonight and hopefully works

Had our 1st edition updated to 2.1 on Wednesday and tried timed charging last night with 0430 ready time , but only reached 71% by 0600 and was charging still at a very slow rate

Have turned off as useless again (frustrated!) was hoping 2.1 would have sorted issue

But if pod point works all will be good!
See other thread on this. We're all running 2.1. I've tried four times and I worked once, other times its running around 33% speed.

I've just successfully tested this. I only needed 10%, just wanted to try it out. Plugged it in at 9am this morning and said to charge from 11 to 12. Reached 80% as expected around 11.45.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Worked perfectly last night !

Can make max use of octopus go now !
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Derry

Post by Derry »

Tried using the new podpoint app. As instructed I turned off the on board charging schedule but car started to charge as soon as I plugged in the podpoint.
Have I missed something?
Deleted User 192

Derry wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:26 pm Tried using the new podpoint app. As instructed I turned off the on board charging schedule but car started to charge as soon as I plugged in the podpoint.
Have I missed something?

Presumably you had already set a schedule in the PodPoint app before plugging in?

And how do you know it charged? (I checked the display for my smart meter)
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Derry wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:26 pm Tried using the new podpoint app. As instructed I turned off the on board charging schedule but car started to charge as soon as I plugged in the podpoint.
Have I missed something?
I think (and I haven't fully tested this) that you need to make sure you do it a reasonable amount of time in advance. I.e. don't set it five minutes before and then plug in. I tried this and did the same thing. When I set it for two hours in the future it worked fine.

It would be interesting to know how long in advance you need to do it.