Pod Point now support scheduled charging!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
DadGrifty

Post by DadGrifty »

Have successfully managed a podpoint scheduled charge but not before some teething troubles. Apparently you need to schedule a charge every day of the week (whether you need one or not) so I selected the Octopus cheap rate times 00.30 - 04.30 for all days. The light on the podpoint charger then goes yellow. I made sure that there were no schedules set on my ID.3 panel (apart from the 80% max). When I needed a charge I plugged in the charger and got a flashing white light at the ID.3 charge socket. That went off after a while. Checking the charge during the scheduled time on my ID.3 app indicated charging at 27mph, much better than the 7mph I was getting just using the ID.3 scheduler.

GenerallyConfused

Post by GenerallyConfused »

Will try that - mine didn't charge last night. Good job I woke at 2am so could put it on
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Have been using the timed charge on the podpoint for quite a while with no issues

Last Thursday failed to charge (red light in car)
Carted at weekend but this week stubbornly refuses to time charge

When connecting cable with the lid on timed the car light goes red

Only way to charge is turn to the timed off on the pod point

Has anyone else had same problems?
Thanks
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

On a slightly different topic, why does it say charging at 27mph, or 7mph! Surely it's meant to be in amps, or am I missing something?
2021 Life Pro Performance, White
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 am On a slightly different topic, why does it say charging at 27mph, or 7mph! Surely it's meant to be in amps, or am I missing something?

Because VW have dumbed down the information given to the driver - they could show the kW figure, they could represent it as % per hour, but they show it as mph which is relative to the estimated range.

It might say 25mph in winter but maybe 30mph in summer, even though the actual kW is exactly the same.
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:37 am
Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 am On a slightly different topic, why does it say charging at 27mph, or 7mph! Surely it's meant to be in amps, or am I missing something?
Because VW have dumbed down the information given to the driver - they could show the kW figure, they could represent it as % per hour, but they show it as mph which is relative to the estimated range.

It might say 25mph in winter but maybe 30mph in summer, even though the actual kW is exactly the same.
It looks to me that they are reporting the current. When I plug in my granny charger it shows 10mph, which would equate to the 10A that it is pulling. You can then dial this back using the "Reduce AC charging current" switch on WeConnectID, and it usually stays at 9A, although I have seen a range of 7 to 9.

The temperature could easily affect the charging rate as well. As the temperature rises, the resistance in the cable will increase, thus reducing the flow of current (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z ... revision/8)
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:48 am It looks to me that they are reporting the current. When I plug in my granny charger it shows 10mph, which would equate to the 10A that it is pulling.

10mph when your range is estimated at 200 miles is different to 10mph when your range is estimated at 250 miles, even when the current is exactly the same and the temperatures are exactly the same.

The mpg charge rate is as much of an estimate as the range.
Conquest ID

Post by Conquest ID »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 am
Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:48 am It looks to me that they are reporting the current. When I plug in my granny charger it shows 10mph, which would equate to the 10A that it is pulling.

10mph when your range is estimated at 200 miles is different to 10mph when your range is estimated at 250 miles, even when the current is exactly the same and the temperatures are exactly the same.

Well I've only had the car a few days and haven't plugged it into anything else yet, so I'll see what happens when I plug into a 7kWh charger, I would expect around 30mph (or 30A).

Anyway, as long as it charges, it doesn't matter too much :D
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Confirmed my pod point has a problem
Engineer visit required as suspected circuit board issue

I had red light on car to start and today red light on pod point

Pod point able to do diagnostics over the air
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Conquest ID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:05 am
scott28tt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 am

Well I've only had the car a few days and haven't plugged it into anything else yet, so I'll see what happens when I plug into a 7kWh charger, I would expect around 30mph (or 30A).

Anyway, as long as it charges, it doesn't matter too much :D
On a 7 kw charger it can cary a lot. In 25 degrees the other day, I was getting 29mph (because it's based on potential range, so you're getting the same percentage of the battery, roughly 1% every 4.5 minutes). I've seen it only say 21 mph when it was about -1 outside.

I like it when it goes from mph to miles per minute, that's when you know you're on a fast DC charger. 5 miles per minute if the fastest I've ever had (that was around 80 kWh I think).