Pod Point now support scheduled charging!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
scott28tt

Pod Point now support scheduled charging!

Post by scott28tt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:33 am

PodPoint finally support timed charging in the latest version of their app:

• Update your iOS/Android app
  • Go to the At Home area
  • Press the ? in the top-right and read the notes
  • Set a schedule and save it
Then just make sure your car is plugged in ;-)

I shall give it a test later...
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

CarterHounslow

Re: Pod Point now support scheduled charging!

Post by CarterHounslow » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 am

Will try this too later. Just wondering, if the car isn't charging will it lock the cable in? Or will it anyway because I've locked the car?

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am

For anyone interested and didn't know, if you want to test this out and you're on a 7.4kw connection, it should in theory charge at 283 seconds per percent of battery, for those who want to reach a particular percentage at a certain time and not have the car sat around charging for no reason.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm

There's no such thing as a constant charging rate for lithium technology batteries.. (in fact any battery) the rate of charge is based on the amount of charge at any one point and is somewhat akin to blowing up a balloon in that as the pressure (charge) increases the amount of effort needed increases. This is why it's suggested that when in a hurry to charge you stop at 80% on a Fast charger as at that point the rate slows down.

There will be a point at which you gain a % every 4-5 minutes but that rate will vary over the entire charge period.
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

DadGrifty

Post by DadGrifty » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:25 pm

Thank you Scott28tt. That is very useful news, I have just updated my PodPoint app and it is all sitting there as you say. I'll give it a go when I next need a charge. The problem I had was that when scheduling a charge using the ID.3 on-board controls the overnight charge was painfully slow (8mph vs 25 mph if I just charged without scheduling). I'll let you know how I get on, probably not till Monday as we're still pretty much confined to barracks in Scotland.

Go far with mjr

Post by Go far with mjr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm

Have set time for tonight but green light is charging now 5pm!

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm

G43FAN wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm
There's no such thing as a constant charging rate for lithium technology batteries.. (in fact any battery) the rate of charge is based on the amount of charge at any one point and is somewhat akin to blowing up a balloon in that as the pressure (charge) increases the amount of effort needed increases. This is why it's suggested that when in a hurry to charge you stop at 80% on a Fast charger as at that point the rate slows down.

There will be a point at which you gain a % every 4-5 minutes but that rate will vary over the entire charge period.

I've been keeping a very close eye on my 7.4kw charger at home and it's incredibly consistent. I understand that for the DC public chargers there is a huge variance, but I'm getting constant rates at home.

Go far with mjr

Post by Go far with mjr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Now have red light so presume we are go for midnight

simonrg

Post by simonrg » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:45 pm

Go far with mjr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:36 pm
Now have red light so presume we are go for midnight
I don't know about Pod Point - but if you mean the red light on the car by the charging point, that normally means an error with the connection, but if that is normal for Pod Point then ok.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

scott28tt

Post by scott28tt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:01 pm

Go far with mjr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm
Have set time for tonight but green light is charging now 5pm!

Mine worked as expected, confirmed by checking the IHD for my smart meter during the timed charge. The VW app and Tronity app both showed the charge taking place, and the Pod Point app showed it when I checked after it had finished.
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey