Fresh air setting

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
steveinleith

Post by steveinleith »

I'm struggling to find a way to get 'fresh air' through the vents (without turning the fans on). The manual mentions a 'smart climate tab', but I can't find this on/from the climate control screen. I have a Life model with no bells and whistles. Any help much appreciated please. Thanks

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Life doesn’t have smart climate.
steveinleith

Post by steveinleith »

Thanks. So no way of just getting fresh air?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I can’t say I’ve tried, sorry.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

I have found the closest I can get to 'Fresh air' is recirc off with temperature set on "lo", fan on minimum, A/C symbol off; I then set just illuminate the screen symbol if preventing slight misting of windscreen or face to get fresh air bleed to occupants. This combination has a very low impact to kW/hr consumption when stationary, (0.1 at most) and no perceptible fan noise.
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Jono

Post by Jono »

I think the main problem with what you want, is that the climate system in modern cars just don’t seem to be designed that.

I remember years ago, cars had separate - direct air vents (just forced air from vehicle motion) as well as vents that went through the fans / heaters.

Today, as far as I know, all cars push air in via fans, so without using them, fresh air tends to be minimal
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Hate to point out the obvious, why not just open a window if you want fresh air? Not ideal I know at 70mph on a motorway. But I'm always driving with the windows open.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

Opening the windows does have a significant negative effect on Aerodynamic drag, especially in a cross wind. The more efficient the basic shape of the car (eg ID3!), the greater the detrimental effect of open windows. Below 50 mph this won't have a marked effect, but on the open road it becomes another range reducing factor.
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
steveinleith

Post by steveinleith »

Thanks for all your help.

I expected more 'open the window' comments :)