Keyless entry unlocks cable when charging.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
AhabTheBad

Post by AhabTheBad »

Just picked up my ID3 tour a few days ago and am very happy with it. There are a few odd things (like no charge speed in kW).

One is when I am charging, lock the car then want to get back in using the keyless method of putting my hand between the door and the handle it does a full unlock, including unlocking the charging cable (the charging indicator goes from pulsing green to white) but the car still reports it is charging (although the charging mph drops to zero) and after a few seconds the cable re-locks and charging continues normally.

As I wrote above it appears when you put your hand under the handle the car reacts like the unlock button was pressed on the key fob which explains why the charging cable unlocks.

Is there any way to just unlock the doors and not the charging cable. I have played around with the central locking settings but even with the one door setting on, it still unlocks the charging cable (although when the car is not charging, it doesn’t unlock the charging flap). I just want it to act like the keyless boot unlock, that only opens the boot and doesn’t affect any other locks on the car.

This unlocking the cable does not appear to end the charging session, just pause it briefly, so it’s not a huge issue but I wanted to see if there was a setting I hadn’t tried. Unfortunately my reg and VIN are not recognised by VW yet so I can’t download the car manual.

My VW dealer wasn’t able to help but they said they’d raise it at the next get together with VW officials along with the showing kW numbers when charging.

Just wanted to throw this out to the community to see if anyone had a solution.

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

I don’t have an answer to your question but this behaviour seems to have changed for the better in the v2.1 software (maybe v2.0 too). In earlier software it was often difficult to unlock the charging cable, requiring multiple presses on the key fob and/or stopping charging on the infotainment screen. I once watched two VW salesmen struggle for a few minutes to unlock the charging cable. At least now it simply unlocks along with the car and then resumes charging after a few seconds.
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

I was using the free PodPoint charger at my local Tesco. I went back to the car to get something then locked it again. For the next hour I was mentally smiling at the free charge I was getting. However on return to the car, the indicator was white and no charge has been delivered. Doesn't seem to be a problem just opening the boot, only happens if you open the driver's door.
Maybe that is addressed by 2.1, who knows?
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
AhabTheBad

Post by AhabTheBad »

Thanks for the replies.

I would definitely prefer it be easier to unlock the cable, rather than it getting stuck in.

Funnily enough I discovered this at a Pod Point at my local Tesco.

The one thing I do now is when I unlock the car charging at a Pod Point is to wait for the green light to come back on and then go to the app and try to reconfirm the charge. Just in case unlocking the cable reset the session and you have to confirm within 15 minutes again.

Hopefully the person I spoke to will pass this on to VW. All I want is an option in central locking to just open the door.

It’s odd they didn’t put an unlock button next to the charging port. Would have been handy.
Go far with mjr

Post by Go far with mjr »

I have used pod point at Tesco and Sainsbury’s without using the app for over 2 hours.
Just plug in and go.
AhabTheBad

Post by AhabTheBad »

Interesting.

I’ve used Pod Points where they will shut off after 15 minutes without app confirmation but none were at supermarkets.

I’ll give that a test in my local Tesco.

Thanks for the info.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Go far with mjr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 am I have used pod point at Tesco and Sainsbury’s without using the app for over 2 hours.
Just plug in and go.
Definitely not at all of them. I forgot to confirm the charge the other day, returned to the car and it wasn't charging.

It would make sense if you had to reconfirm if unlocking the car causes the point to think you had finished and it's starting a new session when locking it.