Mirror dip when reversing

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
id73

Post by id73 »

Hi All

I have set my passenger mirror to dip when engaging reverse.

However this only happens when the mirror selector is set to “L”
Annoyingly the car always seems to forget the selector in the “L” position when I exit, so next time I get in the car and select reverse the mirror doesn’t dip in reverse unless I manually select “L” on the mirror selector which is irritating.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there a way to get the car to default the mirror selector to “L” upon start up? Or maybe my car is faulty?

Any ideas welcome

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

id73 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:20 pm Hi All

I have set my passenger mirror to dip when engaging reverse.

However this only happens when the mirror selector is set to “L”
Annoyingly the car always seems to forget the selector in the “L” position when I exit, so next time I get in the car and select reverse the mirror doesn’t dip in reverse unless I manually select “L” on the mirror selector which is irritating.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there a way to get the car to default the mirror selector to “L” upon start up? Or maybe my car is faulty?

Any ideas welcome
Nothing is wrong that is the designed behaviour, you have to move the selector to light up L every time when reversing to get the mirror to dip.

From the manual
Storing and activating front passenger exterior mirror settings for reversing
Unlock the vehicle with the vehicle key to which the settings should be assigned.
Select reverse gear.
Adjust the front passenger exterior mirror so that you can see the kerb area, for example.
Put the gearbox in neutral position.
Switch off the ignition.
The settings for the mirror position will be saved and assigned to the vehicle key.

Activating the front passenger exterior mirror setting for reversing:
Turn the rotary knob for the exterior mirrors to position L.
Select reverse gear while the ignition is switched on. The right exterior mirror will now adjust itself to the stored position.
The front passenger exterior mirror will move out of the position saved for reversing when the vehicle is driven forwards faster than approximately 15 km/h (9 mph) or when the rotary knob is moved out of position to another position.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

That is how it works.
id73

Post by id73 »

That seems to be step backwards from my old MK5 golf where the mirror selector was always in L position so that when you select reverse it automatically dips.
There’s nothing automatic about having to turn the mirror selector knob to L every time you want to reverse with the mirror dipped!

Bit of a bug in my opinion that car doesn’t remember that you last left the mirror selector in L position, if you use the mirror dip function every day
Deleted User 192

Report it to VW if you feel it's worth it, but it is the expected behaviour of the car so not a bug but a feature request.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I have noticed this and it is quite annoying, and as you say seems to be a step back from previous models. I assume it is the type of switch they are now using, on the up side I think it will prevent the habit of leaving the heated mirrors permanently on.
id73

Post by id73 »

I think it’s just another example of poorly designed software.

Driver should be able to select in vehicle settings ‘always dip on reverse’ or the existing (rather confounding) ‘only dip on reverse when L is manually selected’

It’s a bit like the lane departure system defaulting to ON at the start of every journey and having to manually turn it off every time which is drearily irritating. Other cars don’t force that on you.

Also, still plagued with the app frequently failing to connect to the server and onto the car, even after 2.1 update, which I thought was supposed to solve reliability issues

Even though the ride is decent, it’s hard to love a car with such glitchy software that feels about 7 years behind the Tesla architecture...
Deleted User 192

Whatever you think it is, I understand it is intentional.

As for Lane Assist defaulting to on, that is definitely intentional as it is part of achieving the 5* NCAP rating.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm Whatever you think it is, I understand it is intentional.

As for Lane Assist defaulting to on, that is definitely intentional as it is part of achieving the 5* NCAP rating.
Lane Assist obviously intentional, the mirrors though? This worked perfectly on my EOS and fairly well on my Tiguan. as the cars have progressed in their levels of technology the function has gotten more buggy. I had to reset it on the Tiguan periodically, I recall it being fine on the EOS.
It's almost as if they have dropped this routine into the software from other vehicles, but failed to take into account the switching mechanism is different . You can't leave the switch in L as it isn't a definite position on the switch.
Alternatively it might be the conversion to RHD, as my manual ( I still have it) states to turn the dial to R whichever it is, any comment that this is intentional is a corporate statement to cover the the fact it doesn't work (as perceived by customers from previous experience).
Deleted User 192

G43FAN wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 am Lane Assist obviously intentional, the mirrors though?

Intentional as in by-design.

Even if they did mix up the R and L positions in the manual.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 08.55.34.png

Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:58 am Intentional as in by-design.

Even if they did mix up the R and L positions in the manual.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 08.55.34.png
It's a generic manual, in most countries only the R side will dip as you will be parallel parking on that side. The the UK/Ireland etc you can only set it to left. I think they just forgot about us.

As per the comments on lane assist, other people have already answered this. Don't know what the problem is having it on. I live in a rural area where white lines are sketchy, it's only kicked in if I was being an idiot and not driving in the middle of the lane.

If you drive in your lane and use your indicators where you're supposed to, not an issue.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

If you drive in your lane and use your indicators where you're supposed to, not an issue.
Well if you're that sure, I invite you to rural West Wales, where on bendy B roads with white lines that often are barely far enough apart for a large car, it certainly is an annoyance.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

hungerdunger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:07 pm
Well if you're that sure, I invite you to rural West Wales, where on bendy B roads with white lines that often are barely far enough apart for a large car, it certainly is an annoyance.

Lol finally an advantage to being in poverty stricken North Wales, they can't afford to put lines on our roads.. The majority of the B roads round here are sans lines so I can't say that I have found the lane control much of an issue and when it has kicked in it seemed less aggressive than the version on my Tiguan.
id73

Post by id73 »

I live in central london and like to think I have reasonable lane discipline, however on quite a few occasions I have found it tugging away at the steering wheel pulling me towards danger rather than away from it which is always alarming and usually results in loud cursing!
Massively annoying not to be able to turn if off permanently

Another setting which the car forgets, needlessly is the selection for DAB or FM on the radio.

I want it set to FM only, that way when you issue a voice command to tune to a certain station you don’t get the dim witted response of “Did you mean....” and then it lists the DAB and FM option of the station you asked for.
This dim witted behaviour goes away when you select FM only in radio settings but defaults back to using both DAB and FM stations upon restart.

Just another example of very poorly designed software design. Really feels like the car never had any sort of useful beta testing for user software and was deployed on the market riddled with irritating bugs like this and many others