ACC speeding/breaking

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

How is your experience with ACC?
I usually set it a little higher, than limit.
When the limit changes, car tends to break.
Even somehow, if it finds some ramp with low speed (I don't want to turn).
Then for example, there is 110 km/h limit and I put on 100 (to save battery :) ), then eg. 90 and after that 110 again, and the it accelerates to 110, forgetting my 100 wish.
Quite annoying to struggle all the time with +/-.
Thought to find the camera and tape it, but understood, that it looks for own Navi (usually aged) limits too, because sometimes it breaks even, without any speed limit sign.
Also I'm afraid same camera is used for other needs.
I use Waze through AA to see potholes, police etc. and it is updated fast but car drives for own Navi. :twisted:
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I'm in 2 minds, I really like it, particularly where I drive there are a lot of blind curves and I find it helps my consumption as I tend to note race the curves, so I stick to the speed limit.

However, same thing, I set to 100 for a 120 limit then it jumps back up to 120 after a 90 or something. Typing this I realise that I've not set the upper limit, maybe that would work, must try later. I'd not stick tape over the top because the rain detection is also there, plus other sign warnings that Waze won't see.

I use Waze on Carplay but also use the car Sat Nav (muted) so I get to see the directions in the HUD and the cute ID light.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

"I use Waze on Carplay but also use the car Sat Nav (muted) so I get to see the directions in the HUD and the cute ID light"
I do the same but with Android Auto. Glad Im not the only one.
As for ACC. I have taken out some of the assist options and its stopped the car automatically ramping up and down to the speed limits.
As said in an earlier post I now choose to drive rather than be assisted too much by ACC.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 314

"I do the same but with Android Auto. Glad Im not the only one." - all the cool kids are doing it :)
gwr

Post by gwr »

So how well do the two navigation systems match up? I'm not at all impressed with the VW one - first time out it planned for me to take a U turn on a dual carriageway suspension bridge over the sea.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The Android Auto Google maps nav is a satetlite view. I use it in 3D. I guess these things are personal preferences but for me its far superior to the VW nav. What I like about the combination of the 2 systems is to get directions in the instrument cluster view (muted) and follow the excellent 3D graphics on the infotainment screen from Google.
My perceived downsides are VW nav is unable to recognise post codes or my destinations 50% of the time. If I go 100% Google nav spoken directions are poor and I struggle to hear but my hearing is not very good either. Of course you lose the direction view in the cluster...I think. Will have to re-check that one.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 314

With Apple Maps the directions appear on the cluster but not the HUD and not with id Light. Using Waze or Google Maps works well and I augment Waze/Google with the ID Satnav for those visuals and in the HUD.

Obviously I can’t use Apple Maps for directions or I’ll end up in the sea, so my dual approach works extremely well.

I really like the iD light..
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Anduain wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:26 pm I use Waze on Carplay but also use the car Sat Nav (muted) so I get to see the directions in the HUD and the cute ID light.
Do you use both on the same time and both navigating? Haven't tried it. :)
Deleted User 314

Yes. CarPlay with Waze, verbal directions, Spotify.

Car SatNav running, muted, providing turning directions on the console and HUD plus iD light.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Ok, tried, it works. ;)
But yesterday driving on new highway renovated abt half year ago.
Speed limit 110 km/h
Set ACC on 103, to save battery, and then gps speed was 100.
Then car founds out, that 110 detected and accelerates. Put it back to 103 (which is not fun, because +-10 goes simply)
Then passed truck and suddenly car 70 detected and braked in front of truck.
Guy had to thought me suicidal, did emergency breaking, sat on his horn and almost smashed me. :evil:
It never got road signs, but relied on the old map data.
Have to write VW to make it possible to switch off automatic speed change.
gwr

Post by gwr »

A side question, how do you control the volume of the android maps directions? It's louder than the VW navigation and I haven't found a way of turning it down.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Haven't tried, but I guess by phone volume.
It sometimes warns me, that high volume may be bad for your hearing.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Thought, i am smart. :oops:
Just tried out, when driving.
If waze says sth. add you increase the volume, 'Voice ctrl' volume is shown and volume changes.
Don't know, is it only, when waze/google voice is active.
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

kaiz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 am Then car founds out, that 110 detected and accelerates. Put it back to 103 (which is not fun, because +-10 goes simply)
Then passed truck and suddenly car 70 detected and braked in front of truck.
Guy had to thought me suicidal, did emergency breaking, sat on his horn and almost smashed me. :evil:
It never got road signs, but relied on the old map data.
Have to write VW to make it possible to switch off automatic speed change.
You can set Speed Limit Preview to off in the Assist settings. On the graphic, touch of the car in front to bring up the options.

You can also submit speed limit corrections for the maps data at https://mapcreator.here.com (account required) although I've no evidence yet that they will show up in the navigation database. I have submitted a few that I see with the 21.2 database, so hoping they will be fixed in a later update.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

roadhawk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 am You can set Speed Limit Preview to off in the Assist settings. On the graphic, touch of the car in front to bring up the options.
Interesting, have tried everything, but can't recall unticking this option.
Do you know, should it switch off map speed limits looking, only real life through camera?
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

I was doing 70 on the southbound M1 in Leicestershire with ACC set at 70 , it then near East Midlands airport said 40 mph detected and braked down to 40. The sat Nav said 40. There were no road works or anything . I quickly cancelled ACC , it didn't change from 40 until I took the slip road at markfield and then showed 70. ( 10 miles later )

Quite alarming being in the middle lane and braking ! Luckily it was quite and no one was following closely.

Is it a fault with the sat Nav speed limits !!!! In which case they should update it !!
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

roadhawk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 am You can set Speed Limit Preview to off in the Assist settings. On the graphic, touch of the car in front to bring up the options.
Today did first highway trip and must say, that it is the best tip, I've got since got ID.3 :D Thanks a lot!
Now it works, as old school cruise control and won't brake or ignore my set lower speed limit.
Whizzington

Post by Whizzington »

Thanks for the tip regarding speed limit preview. I had that happen to me (70 to 40mph in ACC) and it wasn't fun!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Will have to try that also.. Every time I get near a school round here (Despite they're being no marked zones) the car slows to 20mph. One of the sites is actually closed and the site up for sale.