Charging observations - comments/opinions appreciated

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

We've been happy owners of our iD3 Pro max for about 6000km and despite a few niggling things, loving it.

I'd like to share my charging challenges to see if this is just bad luck or others experience the same.

1. DC charging, awesomely fast, every time. charge rate is "as advertised" with slow downs at the appropriate places - they ALL require a level of activation, viai App or RFID identification

2. AC charging is hit and miss
  • Can never use a Telsa branded charger, yet I see Zoe, eGolf, Other Renault, BMW all using in total smugness
    Chargers that don't need a handshake (only way I can describe it) which are apparently plug and go, never charge
    Chargers that need some sort of card verification, either credit card or other RFID, always work
    Chargers that require app activation e.g. "Easycharger brand" always work
Is this peculiar to me in Spain (Barcelona area) for those "plug and go" chargers, is there a way to force a handshake? For all of these I don't get the "clack" from the car, ever.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I've only ever used one tesla destination charger in the UK, worked fine. In theory you shouldn't have an issue, so not sure.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I've understood, that Tesla has modified Type2 socket, because it has DC charging in the same Type2 socket.
Is there an adapter needed?
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

For the Tesla destination chargers I have seen at hotels, they often have two colours, red (tesla only) and silver (other evs). You can only charge at a silver one.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

roadhawk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:35 am For the Tesla destination chargers I have seen at hotels, they often have two colours, red (tesla only) and silver (other evs). You can only charge at a silver one.
Ah, interesting, I'll look more closely, thank you.
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

CarterHounslow wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:54 am I've only ever used one tesla destination charger in the UK, worked fine. In theory you shouldn't have an issue, so not sure.
As far as I know the Tesla wall connector is not specific to Tesla unless it's wired as 3-phase with no neutral. In this config, it makes use of the peculiar way that Tesla's onboard charger works. If you plug a non-Tesla car into such a wall connector, it won't charge.