Weird episode after first charge

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Hill Climber

Post by Hill Climber »

Hello All,

My Performance Pro Family (with 2.1 software at collection) has been faultless over the first 100 miles. Loving the EV life, however this afternoon I used my granny charger for the first time. All seemed fine. The light at the car’s charging socket gave all the right signals as did the the charger unit (Third Rock).

I set the app to a max 80% charge and returned to the car when it showed that number on the app. The car charge socket light was solid green and not pulsing so I assumed the charge session was completed. I disconnect the power at the mains socket and removed the cable from the car.

Getting in the car, the display showed 81% charge?, however a host of warnings came up when trying to engage drive - these included passenger safety system, and auto hand brake failures. The car wouldn’t engage drive or reverse, so beached. Also noticed that the central locking had gone ape shit. The rear doors and boot wouldn’t unlock even after repeated lock / unlock efforts. Even using the interior door handles would open the rear doors.

No clues in the Help section of the online manual so I called the 00800 IDDIRECT - shown as a 24 hour help desk in Germany - Epic fail - Closed on Saturday 😡

I also checked this forum for ideas but didn’t find any similar problem. After drawing a blank with VW customer service, I went back out to the car and unlocked it for the 10th time and hey presto all was good. No warnings and drive could be selected.

This seemed very random and I can’t explain what caused the problem or the sudden recovery. Was it a wobble after charging? System updating ?

Should I have done something different when disconnecting the granny charger? Maybe this is just the first example of the teething issues I’ve heard about on this forum?

Hope not.
Split a £100 account credit when you sign up for an Octopus energy account. Please use this link:
https://share.octopus.energy/topaz-pup-629

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

If you leave the ID.3 on charge for long periods of time (over 8 hours) then there is a known issue that drive system failure will be reported, for me all I need to do is shut the car down, i.e. park and get out, then when I get back in the error is gone. I believe this is still the case even with 2.1. If you charged for longer than 8 hours this was probably the cause, as you say an example of a VW BEV teething issue.

A lot of faults certainly on 2.0 appear to be intermittent and will be cleared by getting in and out of the vehicle.

With previous versions of software long charges could else discharge the 12v battery, and a low 12v battery gives numerous warning lights. This should not be an issue for you on 2.1.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Hill Climber

Post by Hill Climber »

Thank you for the feedback - very interesting.

FYI, I was charging from 51%~ 80% and that took just over 5.5 hours at 13amps - maybe that was long enough to trigger the error?

The rear doors / tailgate refusing to unlock was a bit weird though.
Split a £100 account credit when you sign up for an Octopus energy account. Please use this link:
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Not sure if this caused this issue and I haven't seen that particular problem, but if the light next to the charging point is solid green, its charging. If you turned off the power without disconnecting first, may have caused an issue.

Next time, just for safety, press stop now on the screen or hit the unlock button on your key so that the charging status light is white and then disconnect the cable. Don't shut off the power without telling thr car you're disconnecting.
Hill Climber

Post by Hill Climber »

Thank you - that makes sense.

Due to Covid, the handover was minimal so I checked the manual which is a bit flakey on this detail.

I suspected that it was the disconnection that caused the issue. I’ll follow the suggested process going forward

The car ran as expected later last night - first time out in the dark - the LED lights are awesome - so much better than my other car with a similar system.