Car Security + Insurance

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sj3176

Post by sj3176 »

Hi all,

Been lurking these forums for a while and finally getting my ID3 Max (Moonstone Grey) this upcoming weekend.

Few questions (lots of anxiety as it's my first new car):
- Any tips on how to protect the car against theft or to increase security? (Are faraday pouches really necessary?)
- Any thoughts on which insurance company to go for?
- Any other tips for getting a new car or a new ID3?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Hi and welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your new car.

Regarding faraday pouches, (or just a tin box to keep your key in), some people are using them, but VW has adopted a new technology for their key and the ID.3 car, called UWB (ultra wideband) which does a lot of clever stuff to make it impossible to steal the car using the tech that thieves have been using and which the faraday pouches help to prevent. I know that the car manufacturers are always only one step ahead of the thieves, and it'll likely be only a matter of time before they come up with a gadget that can foil the UWB technology, but I've looked into it and it does look like this will be difficult to crack. So I'm not bothering with a tin box for my key.

The car has multiple transducers, on each door and on the boot, and all of them talk to the transducer in the key, using Time of Flight data to work out where the key is in relation to the car. So the car knows not only how close the key is to the car, but which door you're approaching and can work out which door to unlock for you if you have that function enabled. If thieves use a 'repeater' to copy the key's signal when the key is indoors and try to persuade the car that the key is right next to the car, the Time of Flight data will not match and the car won't unlock.

The key has a movement detector; if it hasn't moved for a while it 'goes to sleep', and when you move it around it wakes up again. When awake it's constantly in touch with the car if it's in range. You can see the red LED on the key flickering away. So if thieves try to use the key's signal when it hasn't moved, the car will know not to unlock.

Regarding insurance, I don't have a recommendation. I had been warned that insurance companies were hiking prices for EVs, but when I switched from a very old Passat Estate to my ID.3 the insurance was about the same. I'm with Direct Line. I've heard that LV are claiming to be good for EV insurance, also.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

HeidiFlower!
That's something I'd never considered - security - living where I do; but a simple and clear explanation of a system that sounds quite remarkable!
Of course, off island, parked in the 'real' world it will certainly come in useful. Many thanks.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I've seen enough of how specific a location you have to be in with the key for keyless entry to work for me to have it enabled.

I do keep the key in a pouch, but only as I already had the pouch and I sometimes move it when I don't want the car to wake up (as I also have the welcome lights set)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:56 pm I've seen enough of how specific a location you have to be in with the key for keyless entry to work for me to have it enabled.

I do keep the key in a pouch, but only as I already had the pouch and I sometimes move it when I don't want the car to wake up (as I also have the welcome lights set)
I do the same. We have a pouch for peace of mind and random welcome lights.
Jono

Post by Jono »

I was quite surprised how cheap the ID3 was to insure. I’m aware some companies won’t insure EV’s at all, but my broker had no issue getting me a good price,
sj3176

Post by sj3176 »

Thanks all for the comments - super helpful information regarding the technology used in the key!