when to charge - solar or Octopus

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
peterg

Post by peterg »

SO 1 week into ownership...Pod point on the garage wall and feeling suitably green and smug. At present charging during the sunny days when the solar panels are doing their thing....but there is nothing to say if this is the cheapest way to charge or use the Octopus Go 4 hours @ 5p option at night time.
Has anyone a view on whether the solar daytime option is the way to go with charging ? Difficult to find an answer but we are going down the Octopus route anyway.
Any thoughts welcome. Peter

Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

I went octopus go and we have solar panels and ohme charger. I figured during the day we can get almost half the 7kwhr for a charge on a good sunny day , which would work out at 7p.kwhr (octopus go day rate 13.3p/kwhr ) and can top up from 40 to 80% in the 4hr period @ 5p kwhr. During the cloudy and winter days we’d be lucky to see 1kwhr on the array we have but that also heats the water. Because of this most charging so far has been overnight when we also run the washing machine and dish washer.So it really depends on your solar array output and whether this works out more than 4kwhr I suppose.
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Depends on your solar output.

Mine is only 1kWh so I don’t bother thinking about it given that my Pod Point is 7kW I would still be drawing most of the power from the grid anyway.
Stevep55

Post by Stevep55 »

I tend to put mine on reduced charge on sunny mornings and that gives me a nice free top up charge that helps
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Solar may be marginally cheaper, but environmentally it would be better to use 5p Octopus as you would be helping to balance the grid :-).
Contributing your solar to the grid when it needs it and using up surplus overnight.
In my case I think financially getting a 7kW wall charger would not save me money vs current granny charger, but environmentally charging overnight would be better.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire