Observations on consumption

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Being new to EVs I've made sure to pay attention to how the car consumes (or harnesses) energy during my first 1,000 or so miles. Some of this may be known by some already but some may not have noticed. I had to relearn to drive I remember when I got my previous cars as they had ACT which shuts off fuel flow to cylinders, so the most efficient way of driving was to get to say 30 mph, get into 4th gear, left off then rest your foot on the throttle. The reason for this was to get into 2 cylinder mode as fast as possible.

The ID3 I have noticed uses the same amount of energy at half throttle when accelerating and the same at full throttle, the consumption drops to 0.6 miles per kw/h even though the car is accelerating at different rates. Therefore the most efficient way to drive the car, weirdly is to floor it from standstill and get to cruising speed as fast as possible. Since I've started driving it like this I've noticed a decrease in my consumption.

Also, deceleration in B mode is counter-intuitive to how you would imagine it works. You would think that if you simply lifted off the throttle fully you would harness more energy.... incorrect. It will harness a max of -1.0 miles per kw/h. The way to harness more energy is to lift of very slightly so that the bar is just into the green. I've seen figures of harnessing -20 miles per kw/h as it brings in more energy the faster you are travelling. So if you are coming towards a roundabout, scrub speed of gradually and slowly to harness the most amount of battery. Brakes certainly aren't your friend either. They harness even less energy than full re-gen.

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Hi CarterHounslow,

I'm surprised to hear the ID.3 uses the same amount of energy at half throttle as it does at full throttle. It's difficult to see how it can push the car along twice as hard, while using the same amount of energy to do so.

If you're relying on the readout on the 'vehicle/data' screen, where under acceleration the miles per kwh drops, often to 0.6, I don't think that's a reliable gauge. It drops to that figure under any kind of hard or hard-ish acceleration, and I think that's a generic figure it displays when all it really means is 'wheee!'. It's a useful readout when you're at or about a steady speed, and shows how a headwind, or a gradient, affects consumption, but under hard acceleration it just gives up. I have no evidence to support my assumptions here, though. What do others think?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

If the consumption is less when you give it full throttle, why would it lie? I mean to me it makes no sense, so I'm purely going off the readout from the data screen.