Close the door before starting to charge!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Here’s an odd one. I was trying to charge at an Osprey charger the other day. It wouldn’t accept my We Charge card on the RFID reader but that’s another story. Instead I was using a bank card which was recognised and £5 was pre-charged to my account. I plugged in and pressed the start button to start charging. It started the initialisation process but then after about 20 seconds it reported an error. I did this a few times (each time being pre-charged the £5) so decided to phone the Osprey helpline. The very helpful woman went through a few standard questions and then asked “Is the car door open?” It was a warm sunny day so I had left it open. On closing it and going through the payment process again the car started charging. “Some cars check that the door is closed” she said. Once I got it to charge it worked very well (apart from the RFID issue) and later that day all the pre-charges were reversed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just an Osprey thing? Maybe some previous experiences of failing-to-charge were simply because a door was left open.
Last edited by hwhbev on Mon May 03, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

I rolled up to an Osprey during the week (in Derby) and pretty sure left the door open while plugging in and authenticating with the We Charge card . All worked fine, and I routinely open and close the door when CCS charging with no issue. Can't say I think too much about whether the door is open or closed when starting a charge, that generally depends on the weather and space around the car, however I think I would have noticed if I always had to close the door.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

roadhawk wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:14 am I rolled up to an Osprey during the week (in Derby) and pretty sure left the door open while plugging in and authenticating with the We Charge card . All worked fine, and I routinely open and close the door when CCS charging with no issue. Can't say I think too much about whether the door is open or closed when starting a charge, that generally depends on the weather and space around the car, however I think I would have noticed if I always had to close the door.
This has been my experience too until the other day. I wouldn’t have believed it, however it errored every time I tried to start a charge when the door was open and worked when it was shut. Maybe it’s charger dependent.
Last edited by hwhbev on Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’ve used a couple of local Osprey points many times to use the We Charge credit I got with my 1st Edition, I don’t think I’ve ever closed the door and it’s always just worked.
JohnDavid

Post by JohnDavid »

First time I charged at home on a domestic plug (still waiting for the fast charger to be installed) I discovered the door should be closed after multiple failed attempts at charging.
It's a bugger not having a paper manual. 😢
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Don't open the boot whilst charging or you come back from 90 minutes of shopping highly disappointed.
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Anduain wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:04 pm Don't open the boot whilst charging or you come back from 90 minutes of shopping highly disappointed.
That's odd, I have never had that happen when I open my boot, charge always remain active.
Deleted User 314

Curious indeed.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Kaygee wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am
Anduain wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:04 pm Don't open the boot whilst charging or you come back from 90 minutes of shopping highly disappointed.
That's odd, I have never had that happen when I open my boot, charge always remain active.
I haven't experienced this either, just wondering it might be down to difference in trim levels / method you use to open the boot / difference in chargers.
With keyless entry I don't need to unlock the car to open the boot, I just have to use the handle on the boot to open it, the car remains locked and the boot relocks on shutting.
I guess if you have to unlock the car to access the boot, then this may unlock the charge cable too and so the charger will stop.
Certainly worth looking out for, in future I will look at the charge light to check the car is charging when I walk away, thanks.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 314

You could have hit the nail on the head. For us the charger is on the opposite side of the drivers door, so when charging we are on the wrong side to open by touch so I would have instinctively used the remote to open the boot.
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

simonrg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:03 pm
Kaygee wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am
I haven't experienced this either, just wondering it might be down to difference in trim levels / method you use to open the boot / difference in chargers.
With keyless entry I don't need to unlock the car to open the boot, I just have to use the handle on the boot to open it, the car remains locked and the boot relocks on shutting.
I guess if you have to unlock the car to access the boot, then this may unlock the charge cable too and so the charger will stop.
Certainly worth looking out for, in future I will look at the charge light to check the car is charging when I walk away, thanks.
Hi, I have the Life model, so no keyless entry. Just have to press the boot logo on the key, and never had an issue with charge stopping. Charging does stop when unlocking the doors.
Deleted User 314

Thanks for that, that’s got to be it for me!