New way of driving

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I must agree with several other people that the iD3 requires a new way of driving. I have been driving for 55 years and I've spent more time in the last six months looking at the guessometer miles left than i ever looked at my fuel gauge in all my previous cars. I also have to avoid the word IDEA when taking to my passenger as the voice control interrupts me and asks me what it can do for me . As for gesture control I've found a gesture which is useful but only for relieving my frustration. Ah Well hopefully VW will get it right in the end.
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw

OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm I must agree with several other people that the iD3 requires a new way of driving. I have been driving for 55 years and I've spent more time in the last six months looking at the guessometer miles left than i ever looked at my fuel gauge in all my previous cars. I also have to avoid the word IDEA when taking to my passenger as the voice control interrupts me and asks me what it can do for me . As for gesture control I've found a gesture which is useful but only for relieving my frustration. Ah Well hopefully VW will get it right in the end.
Agree it is a new way of driving. After 3 years in the EV world, I feel like I have adapted pretty well. I think there is something psychological in a range indicator vs fuel gauge - seeing the miles dropping down can be alarming at first. Though, after having a previous EV with 100 miles range (80-90 in winter, 110 - 130 in summer), driving across the UK in the ID3 feels like a breeze! So relaxing to think of only a couple of stops.

Granted I haven't been driving as long (passed my test in 2014) but it feels nice to drive slower and more deliberate - I have great fun watching the miles go up the more efficiently I drive. Once international travel is easier (perhaps in 2022 now...), looking to drive up to Norway to see friends. It will be great fun!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I've turned off the activation word for the voice control, too many times it thought we were talking to it when we weren't.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

When I did a test drive with petrol Peugeot 208 (EV was no out jet) to feel the interior and size, I wondered, that petrol car had also (switchable) range meter instead of L in tank.
Also started to drive more calmly.
If you know, you can accelerate, you understand, you don't have to do it. You don't have to prove it.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

kaiz wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am When I did a test drive with petrol Peugeot 208 (EV was no out jet) to feel the interior and size, I wondered, that petrol car had also (switchable) range meter instead of L in tank.
Also started to drive more calmly.
If you know, you can accelerate, you understand, you don't have to do it. You don't have to prove it.
Agreed. The instant torque, I think, has made driving safer for me. Roundabouts, filter lanes and motorways are a breeze when you can cruise but then accelerate if the situation demands.