Can you use IPOD Classic in ID.3?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I can't believe you're all moaning you can't use something that was discontinued 7 years ago.

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Personally I am not 'moaning' but interested to know if anyone has found a way to get it work.

Just because a product line is discontinued, doesn't mean it stops working or that it should be replaced. My iPod Classic works fine still and was able to connect to my previous non-electric car.

I would have thought that if you are an electric car driver you would see the benefit in reusing some existing tech, rather than depleting the planets resources by unnecessarily have to buy some new products, but hey that's just me.
JonS

Post by JonS »

What Sherlock said - not moaning but investigating whether it’s possible to use a device that continues to work flawlessly, has 164GB of storage space and is still perfectly serviceable.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I've already given my opinion. It seems to recognise phones etc as media, in theory I can't see why it doesn't work. I don't have one so can't really give an opinion. The only thing I can think of trying myself to replicate is plugging in an sd card using a card reader and seeing whether or not thay recognises it. That I can possibly try and do.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Unfortunately this is not a ID.3 issue or even a VW issue it's more to do with Apple

1. It appears to be well documented on Apple forums that Ipods do not output Audio over USB connection, so simply plugging it in as an Ipod won't work. UIpod touch may work over Bluetooth but you would lose other connectivity functions for your phone.
2. It is also documented that Apple Car Play only works with Iphones https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/ (Actually Iphone 5 upwards)

The next alternative is whether the car system will see it as a media device, most operating systems require the storage or media to be mounted in order to access it however it is unlikley the storage will allow itself to be mounted to multiple devices. So on a lot of Non-apple devices there are options for changing the nature of the device and making it able to act as a memory stick, does the Ipod have this? This will unmount the storage and effectively turn it into a media device.

Incidentally Android Auto also lists Ipods as not supported.
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

My iPod Classic works fine in our Merc, and worked fine on our VW Eos, so there must be an audio signal coming down the cable.
It's a pity that the ID.3 fails to recognise it as I must have getting on for 100Gb of music on it.
I might have to try a USB flash drive and put a few files on it before long journeys.

Charles
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I think we can discount any question of the car being able to actually access any music on an iPod, in the sense of a mass storage device (memory stick style) at least. Apple used to go to great lengths to obfuscate the files on iPods such that even if you unhid hidden folders etc to see the contents, they were not in any sort of intelligible form.

So you'd basically be relying on the ID3 having the correct Apple protocols to 'talk' to the iPod properly over USB, which it appears is highly unlikely.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

You could probably use the Kokkia Bluetooth adapter in the ipod
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004I408OW/ ... DYFPN2RM3P
And connect to the ID3 using Bluetooth.

Not tried it, but it might work.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

If you have an iPhone - won’t the music app already have all your tunes there (in the cloud etc) assuming you’ve used iTunes to buy/rip them and put them on the iPod in the first place?

Then either play on CarPlay (think music works) or via Bluetooth.
SqueezyLemon

Post by SqueezyLemon »

I have an ipod touch and an ipod classic. Haven't tried the classic, but the touch for music works OK over Bluetooth, if not the occasional time it thinks it's at the end of the song list. However even over Bluetooth it won't let me play audible, the audio starts for a second then it stops and the songs start again. Anyone know if it's possible to get audible app to work?

Just looking I find it a little surprising that there isn't an actual usbc to ipod classic cable.
Repfigit

Post by Repfigit »

SqueezyLemon wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:33 am I have an ipod touch and an ipod classic. Haven't tried the classic, but the touch for music works OK over Bluetooth, if not the occasional time it thinks it's at the end of the song list. However even over Bluetooth it won't let me play audible, the audio starts for a second then it stops and the songs start again. Anyone know if it's possible to get audible app to work?

Just looking I find it a little surprising that there isn't an actual usbc to ipod classic cable.
You can get USB-C to USB-A adapters that allow you to plug in anything that uses a normal USB-A connector.

The bigger question is whether VW has kept old iPod interoperability going in their software. I strongly doubt it. An iPod touch will work the same way as an older iPhone or iPad but an old iPod classic is a totally different thing technologically.
ID.3 Family Pro - 145PS, 58kWh
Kings Red - Assistance Pack Plus - Heat pump
Ordered 8th December 2021
Build week 49/2022
Delivered to dealer 11/01/2023
Collection date 17/01/2023
Front safety camera stopped working 1 hour, 30 miles into ownership.