Can you use IPOD Classic in ID.3?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
JonS

Can you use IPOD Classic in ID.3?

Post by JonS » Wed May 19, 2021 11:48 am

As per the title, has anybody had success connecting an IPOD Classic to the ID.3?

Obviously can't do anything Bluetooth or wireless but is it simply a case of getting a cable to connect it to the USB C and, if so, can you then drive it from the infotainment screen or do you have to choose tracks from the device itself?

I've got an IPOD at home which is now barely used but has a lot of stuff on it; this could be a good option until it finally breaks.....

Cheers,

Jon

scott28tt

Re: Can you use IPOD Classic in ID.3?

Post by scott28tt » Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Two options as I see it:

1. Use an adapter for your existing iPod lead to plug into a USB-C port - you should be able to control the music
2. Buy a device that plugs into the iPhone headphone socket and can transmit a radio signal or bluetooth - this will give you audio playback but no control
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

JonS

Post by JonS » Wed May 19, 2021 2:23 pm

Thanks Scott - happy if option 1 works, so would be great if anyone can chip in if they managed to do this. Option 2 isn't really worth the bother but plugging into USB C is not much of an inconvenience.

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow » Mon May 24, 2021 2:09 pm

I theory it will be a media player, like any USB device being plugged in. You'll need a USB to USB c adapter no doubt.

JonS

Post by JonS » Wed May 26, 2021 8:57 am

Well USB adapter on its way and will see what happens....when the car arrives!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger » Wed May 26, 2021 10:27 am

I'd get all your ipod files ripped and converted to MP3, stick them on a USB-C stick and plug that into your ID3. Then sell your ipod on ebay.

I have the first ipod with colour screen, I should get that ebayed.

Roland

Post by Roland » Wed May 26, 2021 1:47 pm

I took delivery of an ID3 a few weeks ago & am also frustrated that it comes with USB c ports that don't suit an iPod classic. The USB to USB c adaptor that I brought on Amazon fits beautifully, but the ID3 says it is not recognized, and won't play anything. I think the USB-C stick is an interesting option, but I'll be eager to hear if anyone finds an adaptor that works.

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser » Wed May 26, 2021 3:11 pm

I have 2 adapters i bought off E bay and both work fine with flash drives
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.1

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock » Wed May 26, 2021 4:48 pm

I too have an iPod Classic that it would be good to be able to use in my ID.3.

I already purchased a Samsung USB-C convertor to be able to charge my Samsung phone which works fine. If I connect my iPod Classic to it though, using the original iPod cable, the ID.3 says gives me a message saying 'USB device not supported' or words to that effect.

Maybe if I had an Apple USB-C convertor it might work? If anyone finds a way to get it to work please do let me know. I have had my iPod for a long time and am quite attached to it - it worked fine with my previous BMW vehicles (non-electric).

In the meantime I have purchased a 64 GB memory stick (< £20) with both USB-C and traditional USB connectors and have put some music files on it. This seems to work quite well with the ID.3 media player and I may just have to accept that I need to put my music on this

fireball40k

Post by fireball40k » Sun May 30, 2021 4:53 pm

I have also tried to connect a Gen 6 and Gen 7 iPod via a USB to USB-C converter in my ID.3, but with no luck. I contacted VW and although they dodged answering the question of iPod compatibility directly, their response was "Please be informed that Apple Carplay is available for all iPhones from the iPhone 5 in combination with the iOS version 8 and higher."

So they have moved over completely to CarPlay via either Bluetooth or USB connections and have given up on retaining iPod support - which is a pain.