Pre-Purchase Help Requested

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Setanta

Pre-Purchase Help Requested

Post by Setanta » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:41 am

Hi Everyone,
My maiden post! Just joined the forum and soon to join ID.3 Owers Club, but I have a few questions regarding the Tech model that I'm hoping to purchase. I know I could refer these questions to my VW dealer but I'm not sure I have the greatest confidence in the 20-something young lad that described the 204HP motor as having a bigger battery that gives it more zip!

1. The Tech model has a single-zone Climatronic climate system, and I'm aware from this forum that voice commands don't work with this system. My first question is will there be any problems using this system (as opposed to a dual-zone system found on some other models) with WeConnect for remotely pre-heating car/car seats/steering wheel?

2. The model in-stock comes with 19" Andoya alloys, rather than the standrd 18" East Derry alloys. I test drove a car with the 18" wheels and found the ride on the firm side. My question is whether I would find the 19" wheels even firmer on the road? The dealer isn't in a position to let me test drive the model with 19" wheels. As the dealer is looking for €611 extra for the 19" wheels I would be happy to request that they be substituted with 18" East Derry alloys, but I'm not sure the dealer will accommodate this request. On a related matter can anyone confirm if the 18" tyres are of the Airstop variety described for the 19" tyres?

Any help appreciated...

scott28tt

Re: Pre-Purchase Help Requested

Post by scott28tt » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:36 am

I would expect the 19” ride to be firmer than 18”, but then I’ve only driven 19” (the demo car and my own).

Only the 19” and 20” tyres include the puncture resistance technology, the 18” tyres aren’t anything special but have sealant inside them.
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi
I have 18” steel wheels on mine and the ride is good and after a month I think they look ok, and had positive comments about how nice they are.
I was thinking of going for the alloys but I’m happy with what I’ve got.
If you go for the bigger rims it will affect the range , if it’s a concern for you.
As to climate control I try not to use it much, again due to reduction in range
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:02 pm

Warminster id wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm
Hi
I have 18” steel wheels on mine and the ride is good and after a month I think they look ok, and had positive comments about how nice they are.
If you go for the bigger rims it will affect the range , if it’s a concern for you.
Whilst the lack of sidewall on the bigger rims will make the ride more noticeably harsh, I doubt there would be any quantifiable difference in range, especially when weight comes into the equation? Even the 20" rims only have a 7.8mm difference in circumference.

Got to love how we do Rims in Inches and Tyres in mm....
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:08 pm

G43FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:02 pm
Warminster id wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm
Hi
Whilst the lack of sidewall on the bigger rims will make the ride more noticeably harsh, I doubt there would be any quantifiable difference in range, especially when weight comes into the equation? Even the 20" rims only have a 7.8mm difference in circumference.

Got to love how we do Rims in Inches and Tyres in mm....
I don’t have any personal experience of the range difference my comment was based on what I saw on you tube reviews.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:59 pm

Reviewers have generally suggested that the larger wheels give a firmer ride (perhaps because their lower profile tyres result in a smaller air cushion between the wheel and the road?). I find my 19" wheels give a fairly firm ride but on decent road surfaces it's very smooth and comfortable, while on poor roads the firmness is reassuring - you feel the car is not going to lose its grip on the road.

There seem to be be many people who dislike the 18" steel wheels, but I think they look good and cost less. I wouldn't have minded steels but my 1st Edition didn't have that option.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

Setanta

Post by Setanta » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:52 am

Thanks to all for the feedback on the wheels. The dealer has confirmed he can secure the Tech model for me with the 18" East Derry alloy wheels that I had on the test drive model, so I'm happy with that.

Any owners of the Life, Business or Tech models out there who could comment on the first question in relation to WeConnect and the climate/heating system?

simonrg

Post by simonrg » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:02 pm

Setanta wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:41 am
1. The Tech model has a single-zone Climatronic climate system, and I'm aware from this forum that voice commands don't work with this system. My first question is will there be any problems using this system (as opposed to a dual-zone system found on some other models) with WeConnect for remotely pre-heating car/car seats/steering wheel?
On my ID.3 pre-heating / stationary air conditioning only work when the car is plugged in

To me this is a fault with my ID.3 as myVolkswagen specification states the car has:
"Air conditioning system Climatronic with enhanced air filter with activated carbon and stationary air conditioning"
I am awaiting a clear response from VW on this fault.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:43 pm

That description above isn't contrary to what you're experiencing. I don't know whether it should be able to aircon statically while unplugged (I'd expect minimum battery reserve to allow it to take place if spec allows it).

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 pm

My 1st Edition can pre-heat without being plugged in.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot