Does anyone use a mobile device as a vehicle key?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I accidentally came across the following while looking at the online manual. I haven't heard of this feature before. It definitely wasn't mentioned by the dealer, and I can't see any mention of it in the app.

Is this feature actually "live"? Does anyone use it and does it work well?
The “mobile device as vehicle key” function in connection with the Volkswagen We Connect ID. app is called “mobile key”. It allows the use of a suitable mobile device instead of a vehicle key. It is possible to lock and unlock the vehicle and activate the vehicle’s drive system with the activated mobile key. Neither the mobile device nor the vehicle need be online to perform these actions.

The mobile key is an optional vehicle function that can be selected during vehicle configuration. If the vehicle configuration includes the “mobile key” preparation, the vehicle will be delivered from the factory with the “mobile key” function. In order to use the “mobile key” function, a We Connect Start contract must be concluded with Volkswagen AG and proof of identity and ownership provided at vehicle delivery. A suitable mobile device on which the Volkswagen We Connect ID. app is installed and a Volkswagen ID user account with username and password are also required. The mobile device can then be activated as a mobile key. The mobile device must have an Internet connection for activation.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Not active, but if mentioned in the manual it could well be an additional feature we gain at some point.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Since as far as I know mobile phones are not generally fitted with the UWB transceiver used by the ID.3 and its key to communicate, I would assume that this 'mobile key' function must bypass this technology. The UWB radio signals enable the ID.3 to defeat high-tech thieves who use 'key repeaters' to echo the signal from a key in an owner's home to fool the car into thinking they have the key right beside the car.

It's probably only a matter of time before the scumbags discover a way to circumvent VW's new technology, but for the time being I'm feeling secure knowing that my car is too difficult to steal. I wouldn't want to use this mobile key function if it sacrificed that security.

The We Connect ID app still feels very unfinished to me, I'm waiting for an update to provide much more functionality...
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Gr4ndp4

Post by Gr4ndp4 »

Hi, It's an interesting thought but on reflection, I do not think this is something I will use at present. My car key is on a ring with my house key and my house lock is the traditional multi tumbler safety lock, not something I will replace with an electronic locking device. In addition, I swim daily and will not take my phone to the pool. Of course, it is possible to lock the phone to prevent use opening a car or house but the phone is worth much more than the key and I do not live in a high crime area.
Cheers
ID.3 Tech Pro in Scale Silver with East Derry 18" wheels
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Today I read iOS15 will support UWB, so maybe in a few decades when VW catch on.
id73

Post by id73 »

It sounds like it requires factory fitted hardware rather than a software update to enable. Maybe VW might offer as a retrofit option in the dealership?

My Tesla Model 3 has the mobile phone as a key (and a backup rfid(?) card) which I must say is brilliant, I can even open it and preheat, honk, vent windows etc just be telling Siri on my Apple Watch. So having a physical key feels a bit out dated and ‘analogue’ - I hope VW makes this an easy/ inexpensive upgrade for existing owners..
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

At last night Apple developers conference it was announced "As outlined at WWDC 2020, your Apple Watch Series 6 with watchOS 8 will use Ultra Wideband technology to act as keys for compatible cars, smart locks and even hotel room entry"
iPhone 12's already have UWB technology built in so it is only a matter of time, but like others I will still be wary.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I already have keyless entry making use of UWB between key and car, so I'm not sure why there's concern over a phone potentially doing the same.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Same here, looking forward to it!
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Doesn’t the Golf 8 have this feature?

Avalon
ID.3 1st Edition
PatrickAlessi

Post by PatrickAlessi »

I just ordered Golf 8 in Denmark.
Mobile Key is listed as an extra add-on costing DKK 4.295 or EUR 577.

The dealer had no idea what it was and was not able to answer weather this was required to enable Apple Car Key in the future out of it can be activated later.

Very frustrating.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

id73 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:36 pm It sounds like it requires factory fitted hardware rather than a software update to enable. Maybe VW might offer as a retrofit option in the dealership?

My Tesla Model 3 has the mobile phone as a key (and a backup rfid(?) card) which I must say is brilliant, I can even open it and preheat, honk, vent windows etc just be telling Siri on my Apple Watch. So having a physical key feels a bit out dated and ‘analogue’ - I hope VW makes this an easy/ inexpensive upgrade for existing owners..
Can you also activate the botty burps?
robal_k

Post by robal_k »

I think "Mobile Key" is part of "We Connect" app for non-ID vehicles.
Looks like VW hasn't implemented Mobile Key for IDs.

"We Connect ID" is still missing things (like multiple user accounts for example !)
It's still very much unfinished. Looks like VW bitten more than they could chew when they decided to do all software in-house. Hopefully they will get their act toghether eventually.