Tyre pressures at delivery?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RobM

Tyre pressures at delivery?

Post by RobM » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:56 am

Hi,

I had cause to check my tyre pressures for the first time since taking delivery of my ID.3 First Edition in late November 2020. That's now 6 months ago - my bad. But still..

All four tyres were slightly over 50psi.

Not only is that way above the recommended 36psi on the car's data plate inside the driver's door (for a moderately loaded vehicle), but also considerably over the tyre's stated maximum pressure of 44psi.

This made me wonder why on earth they would be inflated so much. Clearly, it would improve the first impressions which a customer would get about the car's range. So I wonder if anybody else has seen such high pressures on their tyres at delivery?

DSB18

Re: Tyre pressures at delivery?

Post by DSB18 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:04 am

I have just had a nail in my rear tyre and was looking for the tyre pressures in the manual, I saw 36psi but I checked the pressure on other side of the car and it read 45psi, I presumed the manual was incorrect but now I need to find out the correct pressures.
I hadn't checked my tyre pressure since receiving it either (slap hand)
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro

ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 am

This made me wonder why on earth they would be inflated so much. Clearly, it would improve the first impressions which a customer would get about the car's range. So I wonder if anybody else has seen such high pressures on their tyres at delivery?
Vehicle manufacturers generally 'overinflate' tyres during the production process to what is known as 'Transport pressure' . This is so that if the vehicle is standing for long periods of time the tyres don't flat-spot. These days this is often linked to a 'transport speed limit' (30kph?) set in the car's system.
This pressure can be above the maximum rated pressure of the tyre because the vehicle isn't operated in this condition.
The pressures should be reset at PDI. Finding that this hasn't been done begs the question what other PDI steps may have been missed
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1

gailjon

Post by gailjon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:57 am

I had my new car delivered at 40 and 41 Psi front and rear. The normal setting is 36 for the car, so yes, the garages often over-inflate them!
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:20 am

Yes mine was at 40 instead of the recommended 36. It will actually give you slightly better mileage (minimal) but worse handling.