Tyre pressures at delivery?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RobM

Post by RobM »

Hi,

I had cause to check my tyre pressures for the first time since taking delivery of my ID.3 First Edition in late November 2020. That's now 6 months ago - my bad. But still..

All four tyres were slightly over 50psi.

Not only is that way above the recommended 36psi on the car's data plate inside the driver's door (for a moderately loaded vehicle), but also considerably over the tyre's stated maximum pressure of 44psi.

This made me wonder why on earth they would be inflated so much. Clearly, it would improve the first impressions which a customer would get about the car's range. So I wonder if anybody else has seen such high pressures on their tyres at delivery?

DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

I have just had a nail in my rear tyre and was looking for the tyre pressures in the manual, I saw 36psi but I checked the pressure on other side of the car and it read 45psi, I presumed the manual was incorrect but now I need to find out the correct pressures.
I hadn't checked my tyre pressure since receiving it either (slap hand)
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

This made me wonder why on earth they would be inflated so much. Clearly, it would improve the first impressions which a customer would get about the car's range. So I wonder if anybody else has seen such high pressures on their tyres at delivery?
Vehicle manufacturers generally 'overinflate' tyres during the production process to what is known as 'Transport pressure' . This is so that if the vehicle is standing for long periods of time the tyres don't flat-spot. These days this is often linked to a 'transport speed limit' (30kph?) set in the car's system.
This pressure can be above the maximum rated pressure of the tyre because the vehicle isn't operated in this condition.
The pressures should be reset at PDI. Finding that this hasn't been done begs the question what other PDI steps may have been missed
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I had my new car delivered at 40 and 41 Psi front and rear. The normal setting is 36 for the car, so yes, the garages often over-inflate them!
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Yes mine was at 40 instead of the recommended 36. It will actually give you slightly better mileage (minimal) but worse handling.
bumpyconstant

Post by bumpyconstant »

45 all round here a month after dealer handover - thanks for posting! Now adjusted to 36f/41r.
ysobo

Post by ysobo »

My car was delivered with 40psi and they only lasted for 6000 miles and I had to get replacement, lucky for me the garage who supplied the car agreed to cover the cost
It is all about pdi and whether they keep the details of what the pressure was when they delivered the car
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m always wary of tyre pressures so tend to check myself every month. I’ll certainly check my ID3 pressures when I get the car home after delivery. Thanks everyone.
smuj

Post by smuj »

I remembered reading this thread when I picked my car up last week. Checked them when I got home and found three OK at 36psi and one they’d forgotten at 45psi. Glad I remembered.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

What on earth has happened to pre-delivery inspections? That is not down to VW but the dealership is it not?
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

EVOWNER101 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:49 pm What on earth has happened to pre-delivery inspections? That is not down to VW but the dealership is it not?
Indeed. It’s not as though they are having to process a lot of cars at the moment.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

My ID3 had 45 psi all-round at collection time, and clearly had not been PDI'd, because the wash bottle needed > 1 litre to re-fill it. Because the (pre-reg) car had been transported from a non-local dealer to mine, my dealership blamed the other one.....
id3 Max 2021
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I checked my tyre pressures as soon as I got home from taking delivery. Previous cars I have had have all been way wrong but the ID3 was absolutely spot on! Never dealt with this dealer before. Perhaps they are actually quite good. Time will tell.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

ysobo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:57 pm My car was delivered with 40psi and they only lasted for 6000 miles and I had to get replacement, lucky for me the garage who supplied the car agreed to cover the cost
It is all about pdi and whether they keep the details of what the pressure was when they delivered the car
Wow.. that's more than lucky, given that 41psi is within the range of recommended tyre pressures and it's generally considered that drivers should check their tyre pressures at least fortnightly.
smuj

Post by smuj »

I used to check my previous ICE cars weekly using the acronym POWER we used in the mid 60’s when serving in the army in Germany.

P - Petrol
O - Oil
W- Water
E - Electrics
R - Rubber

Of course now I use the acronym WER :P
Smuj

EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

smuj wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:03 am I used to check my previous ICE cars weekly using the acronym POWER we used in the mid 60’s when serving in the army in Germany.P - Petrol O - Oil W- Water E - Electrics R - Rubber. Of course now I use the acronym WER :P
Ahhhhhh yes, that pinged something in long term memory of this old brain. For my advance driving capability training for the fire service we had exactly that acronym. Of course that was every morning along with a wash. That was on the early to mid nineties, so it was obviously still useful thirty years later.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
smuj

Post by smuj »

EVOWNER101 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:10 pm
smuj wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:03 am I used to check my previous ICE cars weekly using the acronym POWER we used in the mid 60’s when serving in the army in Germany.P - Petrol O - Oil W- Water E - Electrics R - Rubber. Of course now I use the acronym WER :P
Ahhhhhh yes, that pinged something in long term memory of this old brain. For my advance driving capability training for the fire service we had exactly that acronym. Of course that was every morning along with a wash. That was on the early to mid nineties, so it was obviously still useful thirty years later.
Yep, we did it every morning. Known as “first works parade”. To make sure we were always ready for when the Ruskies came over the horizon so we could scarper sharpish in the opposite direction. Oh, those were the days.
Smuj

HummingBird99

Post by HummingBird99 »

Hi
Please could someone tell me if my id3 will automatically tell me when my tyre pressures need pumping up?
I haven't checked them yet and have now driven 1500 miles.
Cheers!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

HummingBird99 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:55 am Hi
Please could someone tell me if my id3 will automatically tell me when my tyre pressures need pumping up?
I haven't checked them yet and have now driven 1500 miles.
Cheers!
It will tell you if one has a slow puncture via detection of asymmetric rotation. It doesn't actually measure pressure.
I *think* it will also tell you if all of them have dropped significantly because it will detect the change in rotation (Vs vehicle speed) from when it was last set, but I'm not sure about that - perhaps someone could confirm.
The intent of the system is really to minimise the risk you drive around unwittingly with a puncture rather than to obviate the need to check your tyres.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I believe the system is designed to detect differences, so if all the tyres change equally (Which I assume they do in use) then I don't think it will pick it up.