iD3 driving position and back pain

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Some context - very close to signing up to an ID3 but have a history of lower back pain - last associated with a mk6 golf I owned from 2011-15 (100k miles in this period). This was solved almost overnight when I bought a Volvo v40 (that I still have).

So I’m suspicious of VW ergonomics/driving positions after this..

Just had a second (longer - 40 min) test drive of a Life - and the seats are basic, but it felt a bit like the old golf back aches were creeping in again a little. But very hard to say for sure - and of course it could be the seats weren’t correctly positioned etc…

Anyway - wondering if anyone here has found the driving seat/position uncomfortable for the lower back on longer journeys? It’s a bit of a deal breaker for my potential purchase…

Thanks in advance - and fully appreciate I may just have a non VW body!

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Interesting, the first couple of long trips I found my neck and shoulders were incredibly fatigued and uncomfortably painful for a few minutes until I got out.

I found I had to fiddle with seat adjustment until I found the right spot, involving tilting the seat back and having my legs supported “better”.

Also adjusted the back recline and the steering wheel position.

The massage does help too.

Now the car is is comfortable and a 2/3 hour drive is a breeze.

Not sure how much I helped here, perhaps mention to the dealer and ask for an extended test drive. We negotiated a free weekend test drive before we signed ours.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I had good adjustable lumbar support in my previous car, and I don’t miss that at all in the ID.3 - it’s very comfortable for me.

There are a couple of specs that have electric seats, they have a massage function and may also have lumbar support.
Deleted User 314

Yes, ours has adjustable lumbar support
Probus5002

Post by Probus5002 »

I would say the seats are "firm". I have back issues which have not been aggravated by a couple of hours in the ID-3. I have electric seats with the massage function which I have used a couple of times to see what it's like rather than necessity. What I don't understand is the lack of a memory function.
Deleted User 314

Due to the example I provided above, I too very much would like to see a memory function being implemented. It's a major faff for both my wife and I swapping driving. I'm significantly taller than her.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Thanks - I've generally found no correlation between seat firmness or lumbar support and back pain - its mainly down to the driving position. BMW's, Volvo's fine. Korean (Kia, Hyundai) fine too, as most recent fords (after they borrowed Volvo's ergonomics dept..)
Deleted User 314

Yes, I found that the solution was the "tilt" of the seat.