Summer Range - How is everyone getting on?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

When I first joined this forum, many were worried about the real world range after disappointing figures over Autumn and Winter.

I thought it would be interesting to see how people are feeling after having acclimatised to the car and also with warmer days (at least here in Devon!).

We did a 170 mile round trip to Bristol the other day, averaging around about 4.2 - 4.5 miles per kWh. From 100% with a predicted range of 240 miles, we had 170 miles left from the outward journey and 97 miles left after we returned home which I thought felt pretty good! Motorway the whole way, mainly with ACC at 65mph with a few bits of manual overtaking for slow lorries.

How are other people finding adapting to the car, any hypermilers out there?

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

I don’t know about hyper milers !
Ours touched the magic 200 for first time last week!

Ours lives on the motorway and exceeds 70 frequently (honest officer not by that much!!)

Significant difference and much happier with range snd if only had a lighter right foot (and not have so much fun) range would no doubt exceed 200 consistently in this weather!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

All good with mine. Recent touring trips left home with 272 mile range at 100%.
And even on motorways was seeing 250 actual.
Short journies at home I see 4.8 4.9 miles/kw.
Long term average risen to 4.2m/kw.
Not yet used AC . We travel witb the windows open out of choice despite additional drag.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Good question so I jumped out into the car for a quick trip.

80% battery, range of 205 miles.

Outside temperature is 25 degrees and aircon is on auto for both zones set to 21.

We’ve been driving the car for 7 months so it should be taking into account my consistent motorway speed of 76.
yummymummy11

Post by yummymummy11 »

So far so good this end, I’m in the northeast of Scotland so it’s hardly been ‘tropical’ up here 🤣

To be fair I’m consistently returning 200/210 miles to 80% charge, very happy so far with mines 😊
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

My wife has been visiting her sister 185 miles away periodically since we had the car last December, and has previously had to recharge en route, as it was marginal whether she'd be able to reach her destination on a full charge without a top up.

Today, for the first time in warm weather, she set off with a predicted range of 252 miles, and arrived with 73 miles to spare, so we're very happy with that. Just a shame that the range is affected so much by low temperatures. At least it means an end to range anxiety for a few months.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
From my last 80% charge I’m on 4.8 mi/kwh 172 miles covered 58 left. I don’t use a/c but use the blowers on low and windows open at low speeds.
Long term 1757 miles at 4.3. This includes the cold weather last month.
I’m only doing my daily commute 21miles each way.
Tomorrow I’m going from westbury to March in Cambridgeshire 180 miles, top up at a BP 150 charger looking forward to the drive
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Great to see so many positive comments! I think the warmer temperatures are what makes this car have an "average" range of over 200 miles for the year.

For us it has been a game changer. Whilst I loved my previous EV, 100 miles range meant every journey out of Devon required a charge stop. Taking the journey in the OP - going to Bristol and back - would have meant a charge stop on the way back (and during the winter sometimes 2).

As we only use ours for longer journeys, the range is definitely important and with the charging infrastructure only getting better, I think a UK road trip is on the horizon in the (post-COVID!) future.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

We drove down to Shropshire last weekend a 130 mile round trip starting with 97% finished on 47% battery, with a range of 100miles remaining. Mostly A roads with a lot of 30 - national and back to 30 sections but an enjoyable drive.
Currently I am doing very short journeys 3 - 15 miles and driving it like a go-kart so my long term after 1900miles is still 3.0 kWh, but enjoying the car and confident that on longer journeys in the warmer weather the range would be better again.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I think the most indicative journey was last week. I drove from Banbury to Central London (77 miles), so mostly motorway then traffic for 15 miles. Then to south east London, back to central London and then home. Didn't exceed 70 with ACC, spent 6 hours in the car and averaged 4.1. Left with 97% battery and arrived home with 18%. That certainly works for me. This is pretty much one of my most heavy work days, so in winter I might struggle to do thay journey.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

240 miles this morning. Chickened out with 40 left and now charging.
MvC

Post by MvC »

Mine indicated 239 last week, but realistically it's 200 miles. First, I like to arrive with 5-10% state of charge, no less. And secondly, I think the ID.3 range indication is slightly optimistic. I was doing 70 miles/hour and range went down a little bit quicker than it should, but no more than 10-15 miles in total. I'd say summer range is 200 miles.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Picked up my ID3 yesterday in Inverness. First drive, 115 miles to home.
Still 127 miles in the 'tank' according to the display.
4 miles/kwh for a range of 242 miles, not bad I thought.
Zappi fitted today; car now soaking up 'free' solar panel sunshine this afternoon!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

MvC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:42 am Mine indicated 239 last week, but realistically it's 200 miles. First, I like to arrive with 5-10% state of charge, no less. And secondly, I think the ID.3 range indication is slightly optimistic. I was doing 70 miles/hour and range went down a little bit quicker than it should, but no more than 10-15 miles in total. I'd say summer range is 200 miles.
Agree that it is definitely not worth arriving somewhere with less that 10% really, and then with a charge to 80%, in warm weather you are probably right with around about 200 miles. Still though, I always aim to push it if I can - anything over 4.2 miles/kWh is what I am happy with :)

R.E range indication - because of Devon hills, ours fluctuates massively. Even on a warm day, heading up to the top of a nearby hill, almost 1000ft, which is 6 miles away can show a drop of 20 miles! But then coming back again, I accrue all the miles back so it evens out. My wife gets annoyed sometimes because I like to build up as many miles as possible. Which makes for tedious driving somtimes :lol:
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Now close to 4k and averaging 4.6. very happy. 1K was while holidaying in North Wales, up and down some big hills on most days. I also potter around locally with regular trips to Portsmouth and Cardiff, average roundtrip 135m. I think it helps with the M27 and M4 having lengthy 50mph limits. I'm hoping winter will still allow me to do the regular trips without stopping bit a quick top up won't bother me.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

My average for the first 300 odd miles is 3.9 miles/kWh. But that's with some 'enthusiastic' driving thrown in!

I have easily been getting over 4, and sometimes close to 5, with steady driving.

I'd say its better than what I was getting in my Leaf, that was generally mid to high 3's.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

4. Quite a lot of motorway in there - usually 70-75. Town/city trips are usually above 5.
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

After 700miles of mostly 50-60mph driving, I’m at 4.3miles/kWh using comfort mode and not restricting A/C use.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

5000 miles in I have an average of 3.3m/kWh. Can't see it getting any higher soon. I did a 60 odd mile round trip on Sunday that was showing 4.1 at the half way mark, but then I had to come back from sea level to where I am and it's a steady climb.. got home and 3.3 again.
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Pretty good. I just drove 200 miles from 100% charge, with 24% remaining, which works out at 263 miles range (nominal 265). Admittedly this was cross country, on A roads not motorways, so never really pushed it. Good, nonetheless.

Interesting news article: Research from Lex Autolease found that electric cars were about half as likely to be involved in an accident as petrol or diesel ones.
Experts believe that this may be because “range anxiety”, the fear that the car will run out of power, makes them drive more cautiously.
“When you drive an EV, compared to an internal combustion vehicle, you start to think about energy conservation and that may lead to more economical and safer styles of driving.”
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.