Navigation Map Update 21.5

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Hi all

I understand the latest navigation software is version 21.5. I also believe that after system software version 2.1 the map updates should be automatically downloaded via an over the air update direct to the car. I have 2.1 software update in my car but my map version is stuck on 20.7, even though 21.5 has been out for two months.
  • Has anyone had map version 21.5 downloaded to their car?
  • If it did download, did you need to do anything to make it happen?
  • Has anyone had any OTA updates yet?
Last edited by luckypants on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

21.5 is the latest I believe, my car is in the workshop today so I can't check mine to confirm what it has.

As far as I'm aware you can't do anything to initiate an OTA update if it's not offered to you by the car.

(I use Apple Maps via CarPlay rather than the in-car nav in any case)
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Latest version is 21.5 was on the car when delivered three weeks ago
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Sorry folks, I did not double check my notes. It is 21.5 version of the map that has not arrived via OTA. Opening post is now edited to show correct version. Sorry for the confusion.

So fire away please, anyone had map version 21.5 downloaded by OTA?
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Yes. I have had 21.5 for at least a week.

For me, I am unable to identify any improvement in data accuracy.

I did nothing, hence me saying “at least a week” :D
BEN44R

Post by BEN44R »

My Family Pro Performance, (3 weeks old) arrived with 2.1 software (2092) installed & 20.7 map version, now on 21.5 map version with out any input by me or any communication from the car informing me of the change, happened about 7 days ago
I assume.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance, Moonstone Grey, Wheels 18" East Derry
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Anyone got the issue that Apple maps is permanently in dark mode on CarPlay?
Deric

Post by Deric »

SimonMaskell, yes we have the same issue and have tried every way we know to change it but with no luck ☹️
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Thinks it is a Apple issue I’m on 14.7 beta, I think it was fine a couple of weeks ago. Just have to wait for them to fix it
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Just work out if you switch interior lighting settings from dark to bright apple maps go to daylight. Haven’t tried yet what happens after dark though
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Can I ask a question to those whose map database is now upgraded OTA. Do you have an active data plan with cubic telecom?
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

I do but I’m not sure it’s required for map updates
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

luckypants wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am Can I ask a question to those whose map database is now upgraded OTA. Do you have an active data plan with cubic telecom?

No, I've never had a Cubic plan.

I believe you only need one if you want to use the car as a hotspot for wifi-only devices which don't have their own independent data connections (such as my iPad).
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Thanks both, was wondering if it was needed. The fact mine is not updating has me grasping at straws. It's dealer time when we get back from holiday.
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Does need to be switched on for uodates in the settings screen in the connect ID app though, you might want to check that it’s in settings under mobile services
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes that is set to on and always has been AFAIK. (checked it a few times)
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

There is a 1gb option with cubic telecom that is free for three minthsand you can sign up with no commitment. Might be worth trying that see if that forces it to work
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Has anyone downloaded a map update from VW website? https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/car/

How did the update go if you did?
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I’ve downloaded it and keep meaning to install it. Will attempt to find time tonight.
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Ohh can you tell me how big it it unpacked? It's already 26gb compressed! I'll need a new USB stick to transfer to the car.
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow