Anyone else had a puncture?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

Had a puncture today, and couldn't for the life of me work out how to use the sealant kit provided. I called out the breakdown service, whose mechanic had no idea how to use it either. Phew, not just me.

As it happened the sidewall was torn and not repairable anyway, so it needed a new tyre.

Has anyone actually used the sealant successfully? If so, an idiots guide would be appreciated.

Disintegrator

Post by Disintegrator »

Sealant will not work against sidewall torn anyway. Instead of this foamy chemical stuff i did buy repair kit (10 dollars at Aliexpress) with cleaning stick and greased wisp (however, again, it will work against nail puncture or so)
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

As a pointer I had to have a new tyre last week, roofing nail in the centre of the tread, but fitter said it needed replacing.
What he told me was that the tyre fitted to EV's including the ID.3 are very, very light compared to a normal tyre and the side wall are very thin, he warned me not to go up curbs etc.
Just thought I would mention it.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've used one of those bottles of gunk successfully on an Audi A1 in 2018. Xan't remember for sure how I did it, but remember the instructions were easy to follow.

Roofing nail in the treads but unrepairable? Some places are funny like that. I buy most of my tyres from Costco, as they look after the wheels well. I once took a punctured wheel to them with a bail in the middle of the tread. They do puncture repairs but said they wouldn't repair it. They did say almost any other tyre place would though (typical American company arse covering policies), so off it went to Kwikfit.

Seems odd that the tyres are reportedly light with a thin sidewall, considering their high load rating and the heaviness of the car in general. Those tyre sizes are pretty much equivalent to a narrow SUV tyre. They're quite niche sizes currently and so a premium is being paid for them until they become more mainstream (sxales of economy).

Case in point is that 225/40 R18 fitted to the performance Golfs and many other cars are extremely cheap (almost half the price) compared to the 215/40 R18 that were fitted to my old Polo GTI+.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
BreslauID

Post by BreslauID »

Hi. Hmm I think I disagree. I don’t know what tires you have fitted but on my ID.3 I have regular continental ecocontact6 - there’s really nothing special about them, just regular high mileage eco tires. I don’t believe they are lighter or thinner. For sure have tread and compound tailored for low resistance and longevity.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

DSB18 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:28 pm As a pointer I had to have a new tyre last week, roofing nail in the centre of the tread, but fitter said it needed replacing.
What he told me was that the tyre fitted to EV's including the ID.3 are very, very light compared to a normal tyre and the side wall are very thin, he warned me not to go up curbs etc.
Just thought I would mention it.
Can I just say, thats the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. They're standard tyre sizes. You'll find them on loads of non-evs. Whoever told you that is talking out of their rear.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Something I thought was interesting when looking at my wife's ID3 tyres was that they had the words Electric Drive on them in a little logo.

These are the tyres here:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/good ... oblems-ev/
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104