System defaults

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Tony1059

Post by Tony1059 »

Hi,

Is there a way the apparent defaults can be changed. I find lane assist very annoying on tight roads as the car tries to force you into the nearside gutter, so I turn it off. The next drive it's back on again. I cannot find a way to force it to behave and stay off until I choose to use it on say a motorway.

wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

I’m almost 100% certain that you can’t change lane assist to default to “off”, so the way you’re working around that is the only way to do it. I also turn it off on smaller roads.
Tony1059

Post by Tony1059 »

Many thanks for the reply. Its a pity really as this is somewhat inconvenient.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Lane Assist being on by default is part of why the ID.3 has a 5* rating with the latest NCAP test, if you want to disable it you'll have to keep doing that.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

A bit preachy here but I was a passenger in a friend’s iD3 last week and lane assist literally prevented a collision with a motorbike that was almost over the middle of the road.

The driver was glancing at CarPlay exactly wrong time.

I’ve sworn to never turn it off from now on.
DerekK

Post by DerekK »

It is the one and only annoying feature I’ve found so far. Doesn’t work well on rural roads where I live and actually tries to force me to the wrong side of the road before a bend near my house. If I forget to switch it off before leaving home it’s actually more of a danger feature than a safety feature. Makes no sense for this to be on by default.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Lane assist frequently nudges me towards parked cars on residential roads of the many Victorian terraced houses around with no off-street parking. You're marginally over the central line to get past them and the lane assist twitches you back towards them.

If anyone actually relies on kane assist to avoid unintentionally drifting, they should hand in their license immediately or get off their phone while driving. I get the convenience of ACC (not that I use it much), but lane assist is a safeguard against idiocy and lack of attention while driving.

Unfortunately it's not bright enough to take things like parked cars into account to determine a safe gap and recognise intentional breaching of the LHS of the road due to those static obstacles.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 314

This is curious, we don’t have any of these issues but are a LHD, I wonder if this is a factor.
Deleted User 192

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:27 am Lane assist frequently nudges me towards parked cars on residential roads of the many Victorian terraced houses around with no off-street parking. You're marginally over the central line to get past them and the lane assist twitches you back towards them.

If anyone actually relies on kane assist to avoid unintentionally drifting, they should hand in their license immediately or get off their phone while driving. I get the convenience of ACC (not that I use it much), but lane assist is a safeguard against idiocy and lack of attention while driving.

Unfortunately it's not bright enough to take things like parked cars into account to determine a safe gap and recognise intentional breaching of the LHS of the road due to those static obstacles.

Flick the indicator when you know you're going to cross the centre line - problem solved.

Agree that nobody should rely on this feature though, it's an assist system, not a driver substitute.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

Could it be that our right hand drive cars are still calibrated to a left hand drive setting which is why many people are finding this an issue? Do we know if our friends in mainland Europe also highlight this as an issue.
Deleted User 192

ChrisCSL wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:58 am Could it be that our right hand drive cars are still calibrated to a left hand drive setting which is why many people are finding this an issue? Do we know if our friends in mainland Europe also highlight this as an issue.

Surely a lane is a lane is a lane - whether you're moving to the left of it or to the right of it?

From my experience (ie. looking at the screen) it distinguishes between a kerb, a verge, a dashed line, and a solid line to the left or to the right.

I don't see it as an issue, just something you either learn to live with, learn to adapt to, or turn off each time.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 314

ChrisCSL wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:58 am Could it be that our right hand drive cars are still calibrated to a left hand drive setting which is why many people are finding this an issue? Do we know if our friends in mainland Europe also highlight this as an issue.
I'm in an LHD and am not experiencing the issues, maybe calibration, maybe road markings. A couple of times it has annoyed me, but usually on a tight curve.

In fact, I bet it's road markings, because they are pretty rubbish where I live and I wonder if they are not being detected at all.

I've learned to adapt to it, I get more annoyed being told by the console to drive in the middle of the lane when I am in the middle of the lane...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am

Surely a lane is a lane is a lane - whether you're moving to the left of it or to the right of it?

From my experience (ie. looking at the screen) it distinguishes between a kerb, a verge, a dashed line, and a solid line to the left or to the right.

I don't see it as an issue, just something you either learn to live with, learn to adapt to, or turn off each time.
It doesn't just recognise bona-fide white lane markings as lanes though. On occasion it has picked up black tar seam lines on a large patch of tarmac in the road, those lines being significantly darker than the road itself.

Those nudges towards a car parked kerbside are really unnerving.

Does anyone know whether switching on wheel vibrate makes the steering wheel vibrate on addition to, or instead of the nudge? Haven't had chance to experiment as one of our ID3s has been in the dealership 8 days getting its 2.0>2.1 upgrade and I'm in an e-golf courtesy car right now.

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

As you can turn off the steering vibrate permanently if you want to i presume it's an additional feature
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Deleted User 192

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:22 am It doesn't just recognise bona-fide white lane markings as lanes though. On occasion it has picked up black tar seam lines on a large patch of tarmac in the road, those lines being significantly darker than the road itself.

I know you get "false positives", there's a stretch of roadworks with narrow lanes on the M4 where I switched it off as it saw the original width lane markings as the lane over the narrower white line markings currently in place.

But that's the only time I've felt the need to switch it off.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's a stretch of road on the A19 near Billingham where the road is narrowed by a neat row of traffic cones on the RHS of the outside lane (while some major roadworks are going on). The lane assist seems to ignore the cones you're trying to avoid and tries to put you between the lines rather than between the LHS lane and the LHS of the row of cones.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I was starting to think it wasn't working on mine as I get minimal interaction from it but I didn't realise it doesn't actually become active until you're travelling at over 40mph. Most of my journeys are on rural roads where travelling at over 40 isn't really sensible, likely to end up with a wandering sheep attached to the bonnet.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:20 am I was starting to think it wasn't working on mine as I get minimal interaction from it but I didn't realise it doesn't actually become active until you're travelling at over 40mph. Most of my journeys are on rural roads where travelling at over 40 isn't really sensible, likely to end up with a wandering sheep attached to the bonnet.
I'm sure my lane assist is coming in much slower than that, maybe at 26mph/40kmph.

ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

Yeah I think it's 40kmph as the car keeps trying to put me into a ditch on my local twisty country roads. It's bloody dangerous
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Possibly something else needs to be amended in the code then.. https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology ... ty-sensing

"How it works

When the system is switched on, Lane Assist automatically becomes active from 40 mph upwards. A camera built into the driver's rear view mirror detects the lane markings and works out the position of the vehicle. If the car starts to drift off lane, Lane Assist takes corrective action. If the maximum action it can take is not enough to stay in lane, or the speed falls below 40 mph Lane Assist warns you with a vibration of the steering wheel. Then it's up to you to take corrective action."