System defaults

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

ChrisCSL wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 am Yeah I think it's 40kmph as the car keeps trying to put me into a ditch on my local twisty country roads. It's bloody dangerous

From the ID.3 manual:

System limits
Use the lane keeping system only on motorways and well-developed country roads.

The system is not ready to intervene on both sides under the following conditions (passive system status):
  • The vehicle speed is under 55 km/h (approximately 30 mph).
  • The lane keeping system has not detected a road lane marking on either side.
  • In tight bends.
  • Temporarily if the driving style is very dynamic.
  • When the turn signal is switched on before changing lane manually.
  • If the driver vigorously oversteers a system intervention.
  • A road lane marking is crossed despite a system intervention.
  • The driver does not react to a driver intervention prompt.

ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Lane assist is a mixed blessing, especially for those of us who do most of our driving on twisty main roads with less-than-clear markings. The manual admits that "undesired intervention" can occur, or as the verbal prompt should say, "Ve haff vays off keeping you in ze lane". (It's ok - I work for a German automotive company, for my sins.)
Unfortunately there's no way of defaulting it to off, although there doesn't seem to be any specific legislation to force a default on state. And there's no way of fine-tuning it. Great if you drive a lot on the autobahn, or certain roads in Lincolnshire, not so good in bendier parts of the UK. This makes me more likely to turn it off manually, and if I get onto decent roads to turn it on again (which is a distracting operation in itself - should have a smart button to toggle it). I don't think it affects the Driver Alert system which should still work properly when Lane Assist is off.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I drive mainly single track roads, and where there are 'normal' A roads they are narrow. I end up turning Lane Assist off most of the time to avoid the warnings. Automatically turns back on once ‘Park’ has been initiated.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:07 pm Unfortunately there's no way of defaulting it to off, although there doesn't seem to be any specific legislation to force a default on state.

Not 'legislation' per se, but Euro NCAP requires ELK (emergency lane-keeping) systems to default to "on" in order to qualify for NCAP points from 2020 onwards. There are 4.00 NCAP points possible to be earned, of which 3.00 are ELK-based. So although it's not a legal requirement, no manufacturer fitting ELK systems would ever default them to "off".

That said regulations only state the following regarding deactivation of ELK, so VW could definitely make it easier to deactivate than they do :-
From 2020 onwards, to be eligible for scoring points in ELK, the ELK part of the LSS system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button.
A long-press on a button would be fine, therefore, or similar control method.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
mez

Post by mez »

Also finding lane assist very annoying living in a rural location. Regardless of who is driving, the car is frequently pinging us (audible and with message on dash) suggesting we're too close to the verge on the left (we are not - the roads are plain just narrow, with no markings anywhere, and soft verges). And it is rather too forceful in trying to correct steering when we're navigating around obstacles. Either scenario is distracting to the driver and therefore a danger. God forbid you do actually come across a painted white line in the road, like around a couple of parking/stopping places! When no vehicles are parked there you coast through the box not around it, but lane assist goes slightly crazy and tries to tear the wheel out of our hands. I wish it could be disabled - its only useful (and has only been thoroughly tested I suspect) for autobahn driving...
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900