Should I Take The Plunge?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

I have been a very happy owner of a Golf R for the last 5 years and before that two GTIs for a similar time and am now looking for a replacement. Another R? as I still love driving but I’ve now reached the grand old age of 70 so the excitement of power is no longer top of the list. Yesterday went to my local VW dealer and test drove a Max ID.3 and I was very surprised with the instant response of the engine, the handling on our less than wide and potholed Dorset roads, and the ride which is much better than the R, the only downside was the silence which meant I could hear every word my wife was saying and had to respond accordingly 😀. I am now pondering what to do, if I go for the ID3 I would go for the Tour as I need the extra range to go to London and back without a charge, as I am still working as a (quite nice) estate agent and we have recently had applicants coming down from London and the Home Counties in their EVs who arrive at the Service Stations only to find the charging stations already occupied. I know this is a rather stupid question to ask on the ID.3 forum but if you were in my position, what would you choose, I must admit I am leaning towards the ID.3 which surprises me.
Last edited by DorsetDC on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

You would be happy, the drive is great, seats are comfy, we take ours all over the place and have enjoyed every minute.

You mention not needing the excitement of power… one of my favourite pastimes is flooring it when being stalked by some Flash car.

I too would go with the larger battery, it’s probably our only regret in our purchase.

Very happy, despite the challenges and niggles we have experienced.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve had mine (near bottom of the range model) since Thursday - and it’s superb. It is simply the easiest and most relaxing car to drive I’ve ever had. Yet it’s great in town too - point and squirt - nip away from junctions into little gaps in traffic no problem.

I think it’s going to be interesting how the range of EV’s settles down. As fast abs super fast chargers become more common place and reliable - I wonder if many people are really going to need more than 200 miles between say 20-80% charge? If you want to have a break after 3-4 hours behind the wheel anyway and most of that range comes back over a 30 min comfort and coffee break - not sure you need much more.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I've had my first since November and it's had its small problems but all in all its a great car to drive and also the easiest car to drive that I've ever had , you just have to get used to the fact that the quoted range is unobtainable especially in the winter , the worst thing about it is the guessometer which tells you the range left, I spent most of my early days watching it go down and worrying but once you get over that it's a great place to be
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

You can never go back to an ICE again

Just remember that the tour is a four seater ....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I drive my SILs Golf R a lot as well as 2 other BMW Z4s. I thought I would miss the engine noise and the feel of an involved engaging drive but I don't. Im also just turned 70 btw.
This will probably sound strange but I cant compare the experience of driving my ID3 with any other car I have ever had. Im engaged in a totally different way. Its difficult to articulate but I feel just as engaged but in a very relaxed way confident in the ability of the car.
Any replacement in the future will be an EV.
I would not saccrifice a seat for the extra range.
My biggest concern was those longer journeys and making it without a charge stop but that's behind me. If you stop for a comfort break and plug into a 50kw or larger charger you are on your way in no time. Pointing out the obvious you dont have to be standing next to your car holding fuel nozzle to fill the tank. You walk away and forget it and check the progress if you want on the app.
Its all such a difference experience.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Daveion wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:45 am I drive my SILs Golf R a lot as well as 2 other BMW Z4s. I thought I would miss the engine noise and the feel of an involved engaging drive but I don't. Im also just turned 70 btw.
This will probably sound strange but I cant compare the experience of driving my ID3 with any other car I have ever had. Im engaged in a totally different way. Its difficult to articulate but I feel just as engaged but in a very relaxed way confident in the ability of the car.
Any replacement in the future will be an EV.
I would not saccrifice a seat for the extra range.
My biggest concern was those longer journeys and making it without a charge stop but that's behind me. If you stop for a comfort break and plug into a 50kw or larger charger you are on your way in no time. Pointing out the obvious you dont have to be standing next to your car holding fuel nozzle to fill the tank. You walk away and forget it and check the progress if you want on the app.
Its all such a difference experience.

Well said, you've clearly embraced owning an EV :)
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, still leaning to going down the ID-3 route. I’ve tickets for the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday where there’s an Electric Avenue so it will be interesting to look at some other manufacturers although I still favour VW. Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Mine is around 200 winter and 270 summer.
That is 3.5 miles/kw and 4.7m/kw respectively.
On a very cold day below zero it drops to maybe 180. I use very little cabin heating or cooling.
Im still using a granny but maybe will go for the Octopus tethered Wallbox shortly.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 314

Similar numbers to Dave from us, we have solar panels so generally granny charge to 80% for free.

We have the Elli charger, overpriced and it’s pretty stupid considering it’s fully internet connected.

One thing you learn quickly is the location of reliable chargers and their speeds, but you will also find folk here are amazingly helpful, really helped me the first couple of weeks.

I have a battalion of apps installed for Spain.. I don’t know how many of these work in the UK

4EF4A52A-4749-4F26-A182-92D93941B16A.jpeg

And

1AA52311-C9B9-4D17-9C5A-8C5718554866.jpeg

Deleted User 192

DorsetDC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:48 pm Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?

Depends on factors such as lots of short journeys or a smaller number of of longer ones, you should get no less than 160 miles in winter and 220 miles in summer - hopefully plenty more.

I have my own point at home - it's just so convenient to top up whenever you need to. Mine is a Pod Point Solo, it's probably the most common - it works well with the car and has it's own scheduling so you don't have to set anything up on the car.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

DorsetDC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:48 pm Thank you all for taking the time to reply, still leaning to going down the ID-3 route. I’ve tickets for the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday where there’s an Electric Avenue so it will be interesting to look at some other manufacturers although I still favour VW. Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?

I find EV Database hugely useful for these kinds of questions and you might too. If you look at the details of each battery/motor type you're interested in, you'll find they've calculated a "more real" range estimate for a range of driving styles and temperatures, saving you from doing all the Watt/Hour calculations yourself.

I found this hugely helpful in informing my "worst case" range requirements in the depths of winter. I'm not affiliated in any way with them, just a regular user of that website!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

The only niggle for me is the sheer unreliability of public chargers. You have to plan ahead with 3 options for a recharge in my experience because there is every chance your option 1 will be broken (even if zapmap suggests otherwise) and option 2 will be in use. Motorway services usually have 2 battered ecotricity chargers only, so chances a working one will have a CCS and not be in use are not great. Hoping to get a home charger soon!
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DorsetDC wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:21 pm I have been a very happy owner of a Golf R for the last 5 years and before that two GTIs for a similar time and am now looking for a replacement. Another R? as I still love driving but I’ve now reached the grand old age of 70 so the excitement of power is no longer top of the list. Yesterday went to my local VW dealer and test drove a Max ID.3 and I was very surprised with the instant response of the engine, the handling on our less than wide and potholed Dorset roads, and the ride which is much better than the R, the only downside was the silence which meant I could hear every word my wife was saying and had to respond accordingly 😀. I am now pondering what to do, if I go for the ID3 I would go for the Tour as I need the extra range to go to London and back without a charge, as I am still working as a (quite nice) estate agent and we have recently had applicants coming down from London and the Home Counties in their EVs who arrive at the Service Stations only to find the charging stations already occupied. I know this is a rather stupid question to ask on the ID.3 forum but if you were in my position, what would you choose, I must admit I am leaning towards the ID.3 which surprises me.
As someone who's had a strong of performance VWs, including a 2015 Manual Golf R.in Lapiz Blue, with Pretoria wheels, I don't really miss petrol.power. I loved my Golf.R, but unless.you were wringing its neck above 5k revs, it didn't feel particularly quick (except off the line) - the price you pay for refinement and comfort on a modern car. Although it definitely is, the 204ps ID3 doesn't feel much slower with that immediate pickup of torque that an EV has, and like the R - no tramping (unlike my string of VW performance diesels and 2 Polo GTIs).

The press and any of the YouTube amateur reviewers have given it a rushed overview, claiming its been built on the cheap vs the likes of the Golf. I had the opportunity to do a good comparison last week when I had a courtesy e-Golf for a week. When you look closely,only the top 4" of the Golf's door card is the soft, rubbery plastic, therest of itis quite hard. The ID3's door card is marginally harder for the top half, and a little less gard for the bottom half. That doesn't really matter unless you like stroking plastic anyway. Other small details like door seals etc are better on the ID3. The reviewers seem to equate a lack of buttons to cost cutting, but everyone's going that way, the MK8 Golf has the same treatment. Minimalist doesn't necessarily scream cost cutting. The Golf GTD/GTI/R sports seats look better for sure, but theID3 isn't declaring itself a hot hatch, even though it's quicker than a GTD.

The ID3 handles very well as an 1800kg lump, with its very low centre of gravity, it handles much better than the e-Golf.

I liked the ID3 so much, we chopped in our 2019 Polo GTI and bought a second one. When you're charging at home it's costing about 1.5p a mile on Octopus GO tariff. It will be more like 10p a mile on most 50kWh chargers out and about though.

Realistically in the Summer, 100-5% charge will get you about 210 motorway miles or about 240 miles around the doors (30-50mph).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Had a longer test drive on Friday and drove up the country roads from Dorchester to Sherborne and back. The car is perfect , the ride is so comfortable compared to the R, the acceleration and handling on a par with a GTI, and the overall driving experience with the lack of sound exceptional BUT and this is the deciding factor, I don’t think I can come to terms with the infotainment system. I was constantly looking away from the road to adjust the temperature and the radio, tried to do it with the microphone but it didn’t understand my commands, and most infuriating I kept inadvertently touching the buttons on the steering wheel which implemented commands I didn’t want. This has now led me to thinking I will stick with my R and wait hopefully for a Mk 2 ID.3 to come out with a better dash🤞
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Having changed from a vehicle with NO electronic aids or features, I just love the ID3 experience. Yes, I suffered from the attraction of the screen for a while, but once the music is going I pretty well ignore it now. Keep your thumbs inside the steering wheel and you’ll be OK.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yeah - the Haptic buttons are different - I really like the volume slider - mute is a simple slide to the left. Havigg by the hazards as a touch button is a bit daft though!
Deleted User 314

It was the hardest thing for me to adapt to, but after a week or so it’s really slick.

The hazard button is my only annoyance but one you get the voice control sussed when internet connected then it’s great.
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

After a week of contemplation I have still not ruled out purchasing an ID.3, is it too early to ask if anyone been able to download the new software update for the Infotainment system and has it made any difference?
Deleted User 192

DorsetDC wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:37 pm After a week of contemplation I have still not ruled out purchasing an ID.3, is it too early to ask if anyone been able to download the new software update for the Infotainment system and has it made any difference?

Yes, it's too early - I've not yet heard or read of anyone who has it.

There are a small group of customers (invitation only) who will get the 2 upcoming updates first, that was due to start this week but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.