Should I Take The Plunge?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

You'd expect that they could easily change the gesture for the hazard button to be a long press or something.

That's the big plus side to this tech - it makes it possible to be far more flexible, and allows the car to be improved via software

yummymummy11

Post by yummymummy11 »

DorsetDC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:48 pm Thank you all for taking the time to reply, still leaning to going down the ID-3 route. I’ve tickets for the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday where there’s an Electric Avenue so it will be interesting to look at some other manufacturers although I still favour VW. Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?
I have the 58kW been a VW driver for the last 30 years having had Polo’s and 3 Golfs still have my GTD which I loved, however I’ve had my ID.3 just over 8 weeks now and I absolutely love it! It’s a completely different way of driving so relaxing! I have a 70 mile commute 3 times per week for work, charged to 80% I get 180-200 miles of realistic range (it’s been summer driving so far) it might be a different story in the winter up here in the north east of Scotland!

It’s a completely different way of driving and it’s normal to have some ‘range anxiety’. Might be an idea to download the zap map app and keep and eye on the public chargers you might want to use and see how busy they are at the times of day you’d be looking to use them? I hardly ever use public chargers now that I have my home one installed, preferring to charge at home two or three times a weeks.

My next challenge is to do the NC500 purely in my EV, just home from a break in the north of Scotland (in my husbands Audi) and there were chargers everywhere 😊
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

I think I am going to Take The Plunge and have been looking at the demo cars available. Have dismissed the Tour as it only has two seats and seatbelts in the back so won’t accommodate school run to pick up grandchildren. Have seen a 2021 Tech Pro Performance which I like but this model doesn’t appear in the VW Configurator, is it a Max? Also does the panorama roof have a roof cover?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Tech isn’t a spec you can order any more, this older guide lists the equipment: https://www.phillipsvolkswagen.co.uk/ne ... 4Nov20.pdf

It was a lower spec than Max, the guide above will give you the details on the difference.

Here’s the current version of the guide: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... t-p11d.pdf

The pano roof does have a cover, I don’t have one so can’t tell you anything specific about it, I just know it has one.
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Thanks for your prompt reply, as it doesn't have heated seats the Tech will be a no no for the wife. I will keep searching.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DorsetDC wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:24 am I think I am going to Take The Plunge and have been looking at the demo cars available. Have dismissed the Tour as it only has two seats and seatbelts in the back so won’t accommodate school run to pick up grandchildren. Have seen a 2021 Tech Pro Performance which I like but this model doesn’t appear in the VW Configurator, is it a Max? Also does the panorama roof have a roof cover?
The panoramic roof has an electrically retractable cloth cover on the inside that recesses into the roof lining.

I thought all ID3s had heated seats and steering wheel.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
jhg

Post by jhg »

I have a 2021 Tech Pro Performance. I chose it for other features, in particular the travel assist and the HUD. I was a bit concerned that the panoramic roof might make the car too hot inside during the summer months. However, it hasn't been a problem during the hot weather of the last few days.

In the latest brochure the panoramic roof is described as sliding/tilting, whereas the 2021 version cannot be opened.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Decision time, I’ve decided to go with a Max 58kWh Pro Performance in Manganese Grey and Andoya wheels as it has the adaptive suspension which I had on my last GTI and I am hoping I will be able to find a demo car as I don’t want to wait for a new one as the delivery time seems too long. It’s now down to the dealers to find me one, but Murphy’s Law says there are hardly any available 🤞
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

DorsetDC wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:25 pm Decision time, I’ve decided to go with a Max 58kWh Pro Performance in Manganese Grey and Andoya wheels as it has the adaptive suspension which I had on my last GTI and I am hoping I will be able to find a demo car as I don’t want to wait for a new one as the delivery time seems too long. It’s now down to the dealers to find me one, but Murphy’s Law says there are hardly any available 🤞
Waiting is very much about money, too. Or not waiting, that is.

If you get new, you tend to be able to get a few thousand knocked off (nearly £6k, in my case), whereas I've not seen pre-reg/demo/used at anything less than list really. If you paid by PCP, you also pay double interest on one, too.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

5/6 weeks ago when I was about to buy one there were 200+ in Autotrader. Mainly new /in stock being advertised and a few nearly new. Yesterday 30.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Picked up our pre-registered Max Pro for 10% off list from Marshall VW Reading. New would have been 6 months, discount and vw pcp contribution came to about about the same but there was a declining value of our trade in car over the 6 months. Wasn’t a difficult decision, especially as we would have ordered exactly the same spec new.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Well I have taken the plunge and will be picking up a 3 week old Max Pro Performance on Sunday. My old Golf R has gone to my wife’s nephew and he is over the moon. Will let you know how I get on, on my first long drive back to Swanage. Am researching a home charger and thinking about a Pod Point, but concerned that their guarantee only applies if installed by their own electricians, my brother-in-law is a qualified electrician and I would want him to do it. Roll on Sunday 🤞
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

DorsetDC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 pm Well I have taken the plunge and will be picking up a 3 week old Max Pro Performance on Sunday. My old Golf R has gone to my wife’s nephew and he is over the moon. Will let you know how I get on, on my first long drive back to Swanage. Am researching a home charger and thinking about a Pod Point, but concerned that their guarantee only applies if installed by their own electricians, my brother-in-law is a qualified electrician and I would want him to do it. Roll on Sunday 🤞

Great! I've pretty much plumped for the Hypervolt charger, which might be worth you looking at if you haven't already.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
smuj

Post by smuj »

I’ve decided on Hypervolt myself. Been in touch with them but too early to order yet. Please post how it all went. They seem to get very good reviews.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

smuj wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:10 pm I’ve decided on Hypervolt myself. Been in touch with them but too early to order yet. Please post how it all went. They seem to get very good reviews.

Will do!
Tesla Model Y Long Range

smuj

Post by smuj »

Ta!
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Have just got back from picking up my Max Pro from Marshall’s at Aylesbury, battled 135 miles through torrential rain and flooded roads and arrived back safely and my first impressions are …..
I am a very happy person and now know I have made the right decision when replacing my Golf R. Marshalls did me an amazing deal and the car had only done 80 miles. Driving back I now realise all the benefits of the driver assist systems, and how good the ride and handling are. Brother-in-law is coming over tomorrow to look at charger installation and thanks to your recommendations I will be looking at the Hypervolt. Plugged into a granny charger overnight and looking forward to my next journey. Just one thing, is it ok to leave the charger socket plugged in and exposed to the elements?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes (assuming you mean car socket not the 3pin!)
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

DorsetDC wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:05 pm Have just got back from picking up my Max Pro from Marshall’s at Aylesbury, battled 135 miles through torrential rain and flooded roads and arrived back safely and my first impressions are …..
I am a very happy person and now know I have made the right decision when replacing my Golf R. Marshalls did me an amazing deal and the car had only done 80 miles. Driving back I now realise all the benefits of the driver assist systems, and how good the ride and handling are. Brother-in-law is coming over tomorrow to look at charger installation and thanks to your recommendations I will be looking at the Hypervolt. Plugged into a granny charger overnight and looking forward to my next journey. Just one thing, is it ok to leave the charger socket plugged in and exposed to the elements?
Yes, however make sure your charger is IP54 or IP65. I bought a charger from Amazon that was highly rated, and also a waterproof extension cable. They have both been out in the recent storms and were fine. Because I am risk averse, I put inverted plastic tubs over the charger and the extension plug socket. I also dont put them on the ground, as a puddle might build up. I just put them both on two garden chairs.

rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

DorsetDC wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:05 pm Have just got back from picking up my Max Pro from Marshall’s at Aylesbury, battled 135 miles through torrential rain and flooded roads and arrived back safely and my first impressions are …..

I’m glad you’re happy with it!

In general you only need to worry about keeping the 3pin end dry on a granny - everything else is nearly always watertight with a good quality charger and there is no risk in leaving the charger plugged into the car end in rainy conditions.
Last edited by Utumno on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla Model Y Long Range