Question for Pod Point home charger owners

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smuj

Post by smuj »

Have my order in for ID3 Family and looking into getting a Pod Point home charger. I’ve decided on the tethered charger and so started the process of ordering one. Filled in the necessary. I’m expecting a standard installation. Hitting continue it takes me to payment. Wasn’t really expecting that at this stage as there is no way that the work involved can be determined until some kind of survey has been carried out. So backed out for now. Thought I’d ask the knowledgeable.

I’m presuming that the upfront payment is would be for a standard installation and if additional work needed then additional payment required. Thought I’d check first.

Also, what actually happens between ordering and installation?

Many thanks.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

All I can say is that I had to call to get them to move the case on and am still waiting for a quote, and thats 2 weeks
They must be busy

In the meantime I have called another installer that my neighbour recommended to do a quote. I am happy to cancel pod-point if I get the other quote and its reasonable

Also going to get a quote from a few others

good luck!
Last edited by colonelpurple on Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks for the reply. Did you go through their website? Got as far as the payment part before I backed out. Wondered if you have made any payment yet and if so was it just a deposit or do they expect full payment up front?
Smuj

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

they want full payment upfront for the basic install, which was £599. which i paid. The quote i am waiting for is the extra cost to the garage, which is not connected to the house.

they require you to take pictures of everything and send them over so they can see your electrical, gas and water supply and also the route to where you want the charger installed.

I think they are a reputable organisation as VW recommends them (although VW is going to recommend its own charger install from next year) and many other manufacturers, like Jaguar do as well. So I will just ask them for the money back if I get another good quote.

there are so many its quite confusing. wepoweryourcar looks good as they give a fixed price for the whole job and also an install date, but require the whole thing upfront (£1,639 in my case)

I have also contacted the ohme intelligent charger company as they recommended local installers, and also the olevgrant site

i am expecting a flood of phone calls tomorrow :)

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

There's lot here about poor service from Pod Point.
As it happens I went for Zappi as I also have solar panels.
I didn't have to pay a penny until after it was installed.
The whole thing was ordered and installed with three weeks.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

there is a whole thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=823&hilit=pod+point

JonS

Post by JonS »

I recently had a PodPoint installed.

The initial order process was fine although I too was also surprised at the efficiency of their wallet extraction.

I was less impressed by their scheduling team, who were impossible to get hold of on the phone and didn’t respond to emails. I ended up posting on their Facebook page to try and get a response.

But once the installation happened, all was good; the installers did a great job, the cabling is neat and tidy, and it works! Tested with a friend’s Zoe as I’m still awaiting delivery of my car!

So the customer experience was not great but I’m happy with the end result.
smuj

Post by smuj »

I’ve just read that and as expected, some good and some bad. Little over 900 forum members so even if only 10% of members have a Pod Point that’s about 100. In the thread there were two bad and three good. Hmmmmmm. That’s the downside of forums. Often no right answer. Just look at all the faults posted here and it could really put people off the car.

Don’t think I could get a Zappi as don’t have a smart meter and no solar panels so can’t take advantage of that. Shame, but that’s life.
Smuj

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I had my Pod Point supplied and installed by a 3rd party, a total of 8 days from first contact to installation, they handled all the grant paperwork from the info I supplied to them.

https://mrcharger.co.uk
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks for the link. Checked their website and seems they cover the south east. Shame as I don’t think they’ll install out here in the boonies of Herefordshire.
Smuj

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Didn't have an issue with Pod Point, although their after sales is terrible.

Why would you go tethered though? I know type 2 is unlikely yo go away but it kind of ties you in.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Mainly just for convenience. I’m in my mid 70’s and expect to keep the car for 8-10 years hopefully. By then I may well not be driving any more so I think I’ll be OK.
Smuj

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

CarterHounslow wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:07 am Why would you go tethered though?

No need to faff about with cables every time I charge at home for at least the 4 years I will own the car.

As CCS is the de-facto DC standard plug, the Type 2 plug for AC won't be going away any time soon.

I don't even keep my Type 2 cable in the car unless I'm going on a journey where I know I'll need a charge and MIGHT just need.
She’s electric ⚡️

Post by She’s electric ⚡️ »

I took the plunge and paid as requested on Monday, my installation is next Wednesday. It wasn't entirely straightforward, the forms appeared complete, but it's hard to know if you've uploaded/completed everything they need, particularly for the grant which is HM Govt's form rather than Pod Point's. I called straight after submitting them and received very helpful advice about what I'd missed and how to fix it.
The next stage was to upload photos, and my appointment was offered within an hour or so of doing that.
Max Pro Performance in Glacier White purchased July 21
dodge

Post by dodge »

Just wanted to post the positive experience I had with Pod Point.

I found the whole process with Pod Point very easy. They completed all the paperwork to process the Government grant, and contacted me with an appointment quickly with a date 2 weeks from initial application/payment. Close to my date they called to say an earlier appointment was now available if I wanted it, which worked for me so the install actually happened 12 days after the process started. The install itself I'm very happy with, nice and clean, cables clipped to the wall nicely within my garage, and the cable comes out straight into the unit so its very clean install externally. I went with tethered and glad I did - no need to dig out the cable every time, just plug in and done.

They finalise the paperwork while on site, and a week or so later I got the electrical certificate of the works via email.

I have solar panels so I looked at intelligent chargers that can reroute unused solar power to the EV charger, but I already have a Solar iBoost routing excess power to my water heater. As much as I wish I had enough excess solar to do both, I do not.

So overall very happy. In use it works well, giving a kWh and cost overview of usage. Ideal for me.

Dodge
ID3 Life Pro Performance. Andoya 19" wheels. Delivered June 2021.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks to all who replied. I have a three month (or more) wait before I receive the car :cry: so not in any great hurry. I’ll probably wait a week or three before I bite the bullet but I definitely want it installed before the car arrives as there are a dearth of chargers locally. Just in the local Tesco with 4 x 7K. Have to travel quite a few miles for anything bigger.
Smuj

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

smuj wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:16 pm Thanks to all who replied. I have a three month (or more) wait before I receive the car :cry: so not in any great hurry. I’ll probably wait a week or three before I bite the bullet but I definitely want it installed before the car arrives as there are a dearth of chargers locally. Just in the local Tesco with 4 x 7K. Have to travel quite a few miles for anything bigger.
2 Hours in Tesco though doing the weekly shop and a fried breakfast will get you around 25% of battery, for free.
smuj

Post by smuj »

You didn’t mention the heart attack after all the fried breakfasts :lol:
Smuj