Question for Pod Point home charger owners

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Didn't have an issue with Pod Point, although their after sales is terrible.

Why would you go tethered though? I know type 2 is unlikely yo go away but it kind of ties you in.

smuj

Post by smuj »

Mainly just for convenience. I’m in my mid 70’s and expect to keep the car for 8-10 years hopefully. By then I may well not be driving any more so I think I’ll be OK.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

CarterHounslow wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:07 am Why would you go tethered though?

No need to faff about with cables every time I charge at home for at least the 4 years I will own the car.

As CCS is the de-facto DC standard plug, the Type 2 plug for AC won't be going away any time soon.

I don't even keep my Type 2 cable in the car unless I'm going on a journey where I know I'll need a charge and MIGHT just need.
She’s electric ⚡️

Post by She’s electric ⚡️ »

I took the plunge and paid as requested on Monday, my installation is next Wednesday. It wasn't entirely straightforward, the forms appeared complete, but it's hard to know if you've uploaded/completed everything they need, particularly for the grant which is HM Govt's form rather than Pod Point's. I called straight after submitting them and received very helpful advice about what I'd missed and how to fix it.
The next stage was to upload photos, and my appointment was offered within an hour or so of doing that.
Max Pro Performance in Glacier White purchased July 21
dodge

Post by dodge »

Just wanted to post the positive experience I had with Pod Point.

I found the whole process with Pod Point very easy. They completed all the paperwork to process the Government grant, and contacted me with an appointment quickly with a date 2 weeks from initial application/payment. Close to my date they called to say an earlier appointment was now available if I wanted it, which worked for me so the install actually happened 12 days after the process started. The install itself I'm very happy with, nice and clean, cables clipped to the wall nicely within my garage, and the cable comes out straight into the unit so its very clean install externally. I went with tethered and glad I did - no need to dig out the cable every time, just plug in and done.

They finalise the paperwork while on site, and a week or so later I got the electrical certificate of the works via email.

I have solar panels so I looked at intelligent chargers that can reroute unused solar power to the EV charger, but I already have a Solar iBoost routing excess power to my water heater. As much as I wish I had enough excess solar to do both, I do not.

So overall very happy. In use it works well, giving a kWh and cost overview of usage. Ideal for me.

Dodge
ID3 Life Pro Performance. Andoya 19" wheels. Delivered June 2021.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks to all who replied. I have a three month (or more) wait before I receive the car :cry: so not in any great hurry. I’ll probably wait a week or three before I bite the bullet but I definitely want it installed before the car arrives as there are a dearth of chargers locally. Just in the local Tesco with 4 x 7K. Have to travel quite a few miles for anything bigger.
Smuj

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

smuj wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:16 pm Thanks to all who replied. I have a three month (or more) wait before I receive the car :cry: so not in any great hurry. I’ll probably wait a week or three before I bite the bullet but I definitely want it installed before the car arrives as there are a dearth of chargers locally. Just in the local Tesco with 4 x 7K. Have to travel quite a few miles for anything bigger.
2 Hours in Tesco though doing the weekly shop and a fried breakfast will get you around 25% of battery, for free.
smuj

Post by smuj »

You didn’t mention the heart attack after all the fried breakfasts :lol:
Smuj