tyres

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ysobo

Post by ysobo »

i have had my id3 for 4 months now , have done 6000 miles in the car and i now have to replace the rear tires as they are worn out, this is because the car was delivered with to much air in the tyres, i would urge owners to check the tyre pressure which i think should be 36

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Yes, it is 36. Checked mine and they were OK. Depends how good your dealer is.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ysobo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:58 am i have had my id3 for 4 months now , have done 6000 miles in the car and i now have to replace the rear tires as they are worn out, this is because the car was delivered with to much air in the tyres, i would urge owners to check the tyre pressure which i think should be 36
How do you know they were overinflated? What's the wear pattern like? If the central 1/3 of the tyre is worn out but the outer 1/3.either side still have loads of tread left, then I'd agree with overinflation.

Those rear wheels can fire off a lot of torque, even so, I'd be amazed if they're done at 6k miles unless they were overinflated.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I've done nearly 5,000 and driven mine like an absolute hooligan and I'm nowhere near any markers. Over inflation won't do it that badly.
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Without being too harsh, when I worked in a dealer we'd get people coming in saying "my tyres are completely worn - why didn't you tell me in my last service?". It would turn out that there was nothing wrong noted about them in the last service, and the person involved would have done 10 to 20 thousand miles since said service, and had at no point checked the pressures or tyre wear.

The highway code, among other things, states:

"Tyre pressures. Check weekly. Do this before your journey, when tyres are cold. Warm or hot tyres may give a misleading reading."
ysobo

Post by ysobo »

Had a tyre pressure warning on dash, thinking I had a puncture went to get checked, they told me middle markers all gone, when I had pressure checked it was 40 and that is why they tell me that the tyres had been overinflated
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Depending on load the recommended rear tyre pressure is 35 or 41 psi. Assuming the car has always had lower number of occupants and luggage then 40 may be high, but I find that hard to swallow as the only reason for only getting 6000 miles.
How much tread are they reporting left as I have a consistent argument with my main dealer over their reporting of tyre wear and their insistance that tyres are replaced at 3mm.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ysobo wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:00 am Had a tyre pressure warning on dash, thinking I had a puncture went to get checked, they told me middle markers all gone, when I had pressure checked it was 40 and that is why they tell me that the tyres had been overinflated
Middle marker gone because the central 3rd is worn out is indicative of overinflation - noticeably more than 40psi I'd guess.

For WLTP compliance (mpg), VW and many other marques seem to be inflating tyres very high. The recommended pressures for our Polo GTI+ were 41psi front and 38s rear. In reality, 34psi fronts and 32 rears were fine with normal tyre wear, and much comfier. If mpg was affected 5% it will have been worth it.

ysobo

Post by ysobo »

Just as a foot note there was 2.6 left, have just spoken to a friend who took delivery of his id3 a few weeks ago , told him to check his pressure, and his was 44,
I am just putting it out there that tyre pressures need to be checked especially if it is a new car , save a lot of heart ache and pennies
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ysobo wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:21 pm Just as a foot note there was 2.6 left, have just spoken to a friend who took delivery of his id3 a few weeks ago , told him to check his pressure, and his was 44,
I am just putting it out there that tyre pressures need to be checked especially if it is a new car , save a lot of heart ache and pennies
I do hope that was a cold tyre pressure rather than checking them after being out in the car. If that wasn't a cold pressure, then 44psi would be perfectly acceptable.

Depending on what brand was fitted, this might be a blessing in disguise because Bridgestone Turanzas are woeful tyres as most people will find out when the colder weather comes.

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

If there is still over 2mm left leave them. Give it a couple of months while it's still summer. Get some Michelin Primacy 4 on the rears. Much better tyre.
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

My ID.4 was handed over to me with the delivery pressures of 44psi in the tyres. I checked and reduced pressures to recommended value. Something forgotten at the PDI no doubt.
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Ours had 54psi in when I checked them the day after we picked it up last week! I assumed it was standard practice to prevent flat spotting the tyres during the time they stand around between manufacture and sale (ours was made in Feb) and the dealers pdi had missed it 🤷🏻‍♂️
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster