UK Test drive question

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Hi all,
has anyone been asked to provide their national insurance number in order to test drive an ID3 (or any car I guess)?

Neil

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

no, normally just send photo of driving license.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I was asked for drivers licence and passport.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

They wanted my NI number and photo driving licence for my courtesy car recently.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

As per the above, they'll use it for https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

It’s sadly perfectly normal, and depends on the insurance/insurer of your dealership for test drives.

With your driving license and NI number the dealership can go to DVLA to check the status of your license (points, disqualifications etc) as if they were you. It’s easier for them to do this than ask you to generate a check code for them to check your license.

Many trade insurers won’t insure anyone for courtesy/test drives if the license details can’t be validated with DVLA.

If you are concerned about this then tell the dealership that you will provide a check code instead which you can generate and allows them to check your driving license once and once only.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Utumno wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:10 am It’s sadly perfectly normal, and depends on the insurance/insurer of your dealership for test drives.

With your driving license and NI number the dealership can go to DVLA to check the status of your license (points, disqualifications etc) as if they were you. It’s easier for them to do this than ask you to generate a check code for them to check your license.

Many trade insurers won’t insure anyone for courtesy/test drives if the license details can’t be validated with DVLA.

If you are concerned about this then tell the dealership that you will provide a check code instead which you can generate and allows them to check your driving license once and once only.
OK. Thanks for the info. Not happy about it. If the tax authorities ever write to you and quote your national insurance number, they only show the last 4 numbers for security reasons. Don't "naughty" people sell this sort of information for corrupt purposes?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:17 am
Utumno wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:10 am It’s sadly perfectly normal, and depends on the insurance/insurer of your dealership for test drives.

OK. Thanks for the info. Not happy about it. If the tax authorities ever write to you and quote your national insurance number, they only show the last 4 numbers for security reasons. Don't "naughty" people sell this sort of information for corrupt purposes?

I guess they were just trying to save you from having to create a check code. Logon and create one, send it to them. No need to share anything else with them.
TimF

Post by TimF »

Renault wanted driving licence, something to confirm driving licence address, National Insurance number (note this isn't the same as the National Health number shown on the Vaccine Pass). The NI number was used for a once-only check as Utumno states.

VW: driving licence and passport.

Peugeot: driving licence.

I was a bit concerned about the security implications, but everything seemed above board and - in principle, at least - GDPR-compliant.

Years ago, I remember I had to hand over my driving licence for the showroom to hold while I was out on a test drive.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

All my dealer wanted was to see my driving licence and take a copy of it on the day of the test
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 am All my dealer wanted was to see my driving licence and take a copy of it on the day of the test
Same here....
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I think mine wanted to see the NI number, and then didn't allow me to drive because, EU license. C'est la vie.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Exactly the same for me - driving licence only which they photo copied and then let me off with car for 45 minutes alone.
daveevans8

Post by daveevans8 »

Driving licence only - they were bit flabbergasted when I could not sign their declaration stating I was over 25 and under 70...... apparently I do not look my age (71)

Discussion with senior manger decided that the upper limit was 85......