Wall charger install costs?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I had been waiting for Bulb's solution having taken part in cutomer research. I switched to Octopus as Bulb are taking forever.
Im about to place my order for a Wallbox Pulse Plus installed for £575. Its tethered 5m and does not need an earth rod or separate PEN fault detection device...say Octopus? Its also totally compatible with Octopus Go in my area at 5p/kw at the limited overnight window. I thought this reasonable for a tethered unit with installation that is a mixture of twin and earth inside and buried armoured cable outside. Total run around 15 metres.
Any knowledge out there on the Wallbox unit before I place the order?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

MattP

Post by MattP »

How long would you need for this process. If you were expecting your car in January would I be fine to leave it until around November time?
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
The Ohme has it's own SIM to connect, no WiFi worries.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am
mish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
Does that require a seperate mobile phone contract?
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

The Ohme SIM is included in the price for a number of years, I think it is 2 or 3 but not sure.

Note that the Zappi has communication with something called the Hub and the Harvi which are connected at the electricity point. They communicate with the Zappi over a custom radio signal, not Wifi, and the quoted range is 30m, so superior to most wifi.

This was one of the reasons I chose the Zappi, as my garage is the other side of my garden from the house

rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

MattP wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 am How long would you need for this process. If you were expecting your car in January would I be fine to leave it until around November time?
I was advised 4-6 weeks from payment in my area.
Essex RM15.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
mish

Post by mish »

Scratch wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
Have you actually had this charger installed? To get the government allowance for the charger install, I thought you had to actually have an EV car or at least an order number for one?
Yes, got the order number. Will be a while before I can try out the charger with the actual car.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:34 am
Does that require a seperate mobile phone contract?
Not currently, and no plans to do so after 3 years. I think there'd be hell on if they did and they'd lose a lot of future sales. 3 guaranteed years, but most likely for the long foreseeable beyond that.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

colonelpurple wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:36 am
The Ohme SIM is included in the price for a number of years, I think it is 2 or 3 but not sure.

Note that the Zappi has communication with something called the Hub and the Harvi which are connected at the electricity point. They communicate with the Zappi over a custom radio signal, not Wifi, and the quoted range is 30m, so superior to most wifi.

This was one of the reasons I chose the Zappi, as my garage is the other side of my garden from the house

rgds
The Harvi is only required if you can't run a CT clamp cable (ethernet) back directly to the Zappi. If your Zappi and meter are conveniently close the Harvi isn't necessarily required, although it's a neat little solution. I didn't have one initially but once my PV install was done we connected a Harvi to view the PV production as the optimiser is in the garage at the opposite end of the house.
Pepet2

Post by Pepet2 »

Daveion, I had a Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed 6 weeks ago and very pleased with it. There was a hitch though. It has bluetooth and wifi connectivity but you need to be connected via bluetooth first before being able to set up the wifi connectivity. Unfortunately I could not get the charger to talk to my phone via bluetooth at the outset, so I rang Wallbox ( patched through to Barcelona) and they were excellent. Had the charger working in no time. Basically I had to do a reset on the box after running through a checklist with them. I see you're located in Essex, if you fancy a trip out to CM3 area then you're welcome to drop by and I can show you the unit and app working. Regards Pete
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Pepet2 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm Daveion, I had a Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed 6 weeks ago and very pleased with it. There was a hitch though. It has bluetooth and wifi connectivity but you need to be connected via bluetooth first before being able to set up the wifi connectivity. Unfortunately I could not get the charger to talk to my phone via bluetooth at the outset, so I rang Wallbox ( patched through to Barcelona) and they were excellent. Had the charger working in no time. Basically I had to do a reset on the box after running through a checklist with them. I see you're located in Essex, if you fancy a trip out to CM3 area then you're welcome to drop by and I can show you the unit and app working. Regards Pete
Thank Pete
Octopus say they dont leave site until the function of the unit and app is fully proved to the Customer but the bluetooth tip is good to know. Thanks for the offer as well. Im happy with what I have seen on youtube but should that change for any reason I will contact you.
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Pepet2

Post by Pepet2 »

Dave, that's good to hear Octopus say that. Hmmm.... perhaps I should have used them particularly as they supply my electricity ! Just another thing I thought about regarding the charger, it has a permanently lit halo that glows green and then changes to blue when charging. I'm fine with that as mine is installed inside my garage but if that's not the case for you and you want the charger to be inconspicuous at night, then that could be a problem. Good luck with the install.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Im not bothered by the visibility. Its a way back from the road and I cant conceal the pulsing green light from the car.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
AndyMorgan

Post by AndyMorgan »

VW Arnold Clark in Glasgow pointed me towards Scottish Power. They subcontract Everwarm to fit a domestic charger. Total cost £899.
The OLEV grant of £350 reduces it to £549.
In Scotland we get an additional grant from the Energy Savings Trust - have to jump through a few hoops, but worth it for another £250 off (£300 in rural areas).
Total cost to me will be £299 for a 7kw charger.
S'alright

Had to prove I've got an EV for the OLEV grant.
And for the EST grant, installation couldn't start until they'd approved the grant application.
Cabling/fuse work starts next week.
150kw Life Pro Performance, standard kit, Manganese Grey, July 2021.
Airdrie, Scotland