Charging cable theft

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Is this an issue with the ID3?. Stumbled across this recently:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/electric-c ... ave/n23149

sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Doubt it - even says it's only the really old gen 1 stuff.

Main jist of the article seems to point towards people who don't secure them when they're not using them.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

The cable is locked whilst charging
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

"the number one concern for owners" - erm.... let's just call BS on that.

This probably comes from the same team who write about electricity theft from home chargers.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Actually - it’s the locked to the car whilst charging thing that worries me. I know there’s not a work around - but I suspect with enough force (holding substantial cable in both hands - feet braced next to the plug - wanging it from side to side whilst pulling) would break it off. Either trying or succeeding would result in several grands worth of panel damage I expect. It’s a no win situation - but would cause less damage and cost if it wasn’t locked.

Outside Tesco - low risk. Same for outside your house (depends where you are etc) - but I wouldn’t want to leave mine on some of the street or unattended car parking spots there are around here in Manchester (even if free!). Maybe ok in the day - but not at/overnight.

I’ve had someone stuff through the rear window on my last car to take a plastic bag full of wellies - and there is a regular ‘car opener’ who tries all the car doors and then has a pilfer if it’s unlocked. Out of 12 houses in the road - at least half of us have been dobe like this… that’s general crime etc.. but if a fence will pay someone £10-20 for a £150-200 charging cable - that’s a fix worth - so will happen.

Then there’s the issue of if a robber sees an ev - they know there’s an 80%+ chance they’ll have a charger cable in the boot..
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MotMot wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am Actually - it’s the locked to the car whilst charging thing that worries me. I know there’s not a work around - but I suspect with enough force (holding substantial cable in both hands - feet braced next to the plug - wanging it from side to side whilst pulling) would break it off. Either trying or succeeding would result in several grands worth of panel damage I expect. It’s a no win situation - but would cause less damage and cost if it wasn’t locked.

Outside Tesco - low risk. Same for outside your house (depends where you are etc) - but I wouldn’t want to leave mine on some of the street or unattended car parking spots there are around here in Manchester (even if free!). Maybe ok in the day - but not at/overnight.

I’ve had someone stuff through the rear window on my last car to take a plastic bag full of wellies - and there is a regular ‘car opener’ who tries all the car doors and then has a pilfer if it’s unlocked. Out of 12 houses in the road - at least half of us have been dobe like this… that’s general crime etc.. but if a fence will pay someone £10-20 for a £150-200 charging cable - that’s a fix worth - so will happen.

Then there’s the issue of if a robber sees an ev - they know there’s an 80%+ chance they’ll have a charger cable in the boot..
Maybe I am overthinking the issues of EV ownership, as I am close to deciding whether to join you all or not.
With regard to charging cable security, remember it's an electric car. How about electrifying the cable. (Tongue in cheek comment).
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I think on the list of things I worry about the car, theft of charging cable doesnt make the top 100

Its far below my son spilling his drink in the back seat ....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

@colpurple 😂 true!

Though 4 years ago - were Auris and Prius owners worried about cat theft…? unknown unknowns etc…

Car crime has fast moving trends. Once car stereos, then sat navs, then keyless thefts (with booster etc), cat thefts, with now >500k ev/ph EV’s on the road it’s probably a matter of time before they become a target…

Wonder how much the plastic gubbins where the cable plugs in costs to replace!
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

It only happens once in all those years, some one broke the type 2 plus from the car...
I did fix it and still in use today

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441