Three-pin / granny charger recommendations

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Scratch wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:45 am I was just wondering, how many ID3 owners rely on using the Granny Charger? Wall chargers aren't that easy to source at the moment, so may have to rely on our granny charger.
I am still using a granny supplied with the car some 8 months ago. I have a delay in my Wallbox installation and use the granny for the 4 hours of Octopus 5p/kw and a tad outside if that time frame to keep the car topped up.
Im not a high miler so I currently charge 2 or 3 times a week getting about 50 miles range in 4-5 hours for less than a pound.
I will be on the granny for a while longer into the Winter months as the changes to my electrical intake have to be sorted out.
I think even dropping to 3 miles/kw in cold weather the granny will cope 👍
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

BeesKnees wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:41 pm I was half tempted to get a commando socket and buy a three pin to commando adaptor for £5-6.

Later on I can then run some swa cable out with a commando outlet and find an electrician to do the internals. That way I get a 7kW smart charger at home. Using the original granny charger.

I'm sure there is probably a catch I haven't considered
I have contacted ohmi, they don't recommend it but they are willing to help me do it

"A2) We advise against using adaptors due to varying build quality and waterproofing. Adaptors may also prevent the Ohme charger from communicating with the car correctly. IF you do decide to purchase an adaptor we may need to de-rate the charger to 10A to prevent any issues using it with a domestic plug socket. This we can do with a written request and we can set the charger to out put 32A when you need."
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

BeesKnees wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:11 pm If you're an Octopus electricity customer, you'll be able to get Ohme's app-enabled granny charger for £199, if that helps.
Just spotted this,

I was going for the VW charger with the car but this seems like a much better option. Will be ringing the dealer tomorrow to cancel the VW one
https://ohme-ev.com/octopus-offer
I got the OHME 3pin granny charger with the Octopus offer.
It works well and is Smart 8f you want it to be. Highly recommended.
VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I wasn't going to buy a Granny charger but after a trip to East Yorkshire to see relatives I think it might be useful, so thanks, I have ordered via the link provided.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

BeesKnees wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:29 pm
BeesKnees wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:41 pm I was half tempted to get a commando socket and buy a three pin to commando adaptor for £5-6.

Later on I can then run some swa cable out with a commando outlet and find an electrician to do the internals. That way I get a 7kW smart charger at home. Using the original granny charger.

I'm sure there is probably a catch I haven't considered
I have contacted ohmi, they don't recommend it but they are willing to help me do it

"A2) We advise against using adaptors due to varying build quality and waterproofing. Adaptors may also prevent the Ohme charger from communicating with the car correctly. IF you do decide to purchase an adaptor we may need to de-rate the charger to 10A to prevent any issues using it with a domestic plug socket. This we can do with a written request and we can set the charger to out put 32A when you need."
Additionally they can set it to many other amperages too, so if you find yourself somewhere with only a 16A connection (caravan parks, for instance) then you can ask them to change it to speed up your charge a little. It’s a shame they can’t make it self-service in the app really, or on the device.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Tom Dickan-Harry

Post by Tom Dickan-Harry »

I bought a Masterplug granny charger from Screwfix for £140 for use at work. It does a great job and just covers my 76 mile round trip commute.
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

Anyone know if the 5 metres on the ohmi cable is total length or 5 metres from the control box?
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Raxacorico wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:26 am
ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:06 am I currently use the VW granny charger but added a Toughleads extension unit.
Hi, can you tell me which variety you went for please? I went to their website, but there are a variety of options.
Sorry, didn't see this question...
https://toughleads.co.uk/collections/ev ... 4035929176
I chose 10m, no RCD. This is the longest I would recommend, and together with the granny charger it's long enough to cope with most situations.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:45 am
Raxacorico wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:26 am
ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:06 am I currently use the VW granny charger but added a Toughleads extension unit.
Hi, can you tell me which variety you went for please? I went to their website, but there are a variety of options.
Sorry, didn't see this question...
https://toughleads.co.uk/collections/ev ... 4035929176
I chose 10m, no RCD. This is the longest I would recommend, and together with the granny charger it's long enough to cope with most situations.
Many thanks!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
TimF

Post by TimF »

Interesting collection of experiences and comments so far. The Ohme granny cable seems to be "intelligent", controllable using the Ohme app (happy to be corrected if I've got that wrong). Is the VW one intelligent / controllable, or - as seems to be implied by NewId3 a month back - is it "dumb" with control of charging set by / in the car? If they are different, does it matter very much?
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

The VW granny charger which came with mine is not timeable- I must use the cars location setting to set up timed charge - works fine for me.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
TimF

Post by TimF »

NewId3 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:46 pm The VW granny charger which came with mine is not timeable- I must use the cars location setting to set up timed charge - works fine for me.
Thanks.
EV-South

Post by EV-South »

Hello all - another quick question on 3-Pin to Type 2 granny chargers....

Are they effectively all the same between EV vehicle manufactures, could I plug my ID.3 into a friends Volvo or Audi 3-Pin to Type 2 granny charger?
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

We have a as new genuine VW 3 pin cable for sale at the moment on the bay.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

EV-South wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am Hello all - another quick question on 3-Pin to Type 2 granny chargers....

Are they effectively all the same between EV vehicle manufactures, could I plug my ID.3 into a friends Volvo or Audi 3-Pin to Type 2 granny charger?

Yes.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I bought the genuine VW one, which does feel like a decent bit of kit.

The ones Screwfix sell seem to be much cheaper there than anywhere else selling the same models, I could well have bought one of those, but they were out of stock when our ID3 arrived.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515