Using Tesla Chargers UK

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jay3178

Post by Jay3178 »

Hi All

I'm expecting my ID.3 Ito arrive sometime in November, just been doing a bit of research on charging locations, and one question that I wanted to know is can you use a Tesla charger to charge the ID.3, mainly thinking of points along the motorway service stations, not all the time but say on a trip out, and if the standard EV bays are full. Could I plug into a Tesla unit, do o need an adaptor etc. I did come across this article, but is it happening/happened already or just fake news :D
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistairch ... this-year/

Thanks

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Quick answer is No you can't. (100kW+ chargers that is) They have a different connector, there are some Tesla charging points with a Type2 connector but you'd only get 7.4kW.

The article, is a response to I think a tweet originally where Elon Musk has suggested opening the supercharger network to non Tesla EVs.
When - no date.
Where - when asked if that included other countries (outside U.S.) He said eventually.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Elon makes all sorts of random statements that other board members cringe about. Tesla's supercharger network is one of it's prime selling points if you make that network available to all EVs then it starts to become very difficult to justify the extra cost of a Tesla. (IMHO)
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Not the DC superchargers.

You can use some AC destination chargers, the ones with white signage can be used by any EV and some of those with red signage also apparently work.

Elon tweets, the world goes crazy, some of what he tweets becomes reality - better to consider relying on all the other charging networks.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I think they have announced opening up the network for Norway.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3687 ... ay-sweden/

While the brand-owned exclusive charger network was a great tool to sell cars when nobody else had fast charging (or indeed any charging at all), those days are over and there is now a case, in particular in Europe, to consider opening it up and getting into the energy business, where some juicy (haha) margins can be made. Corporate noises from Tesla (e.g. on LinkedIn) are quite cooperative along the 'the more, the merrier' line.

I expect this to be a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

Thanks. That would be a godsend, especially as ev sales outstrip charger installations in the next few years. Ridiculous to have all those chargers standing empty at service stations while people fight over the 1 high speed non-Tesla one.
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

It would be easy money for Tesla, but a time-limited opportunity. Hard to see them pass it up.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Andreas wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:43 am I think they have announced opening up the network for Norway.

The story I read was that they had to do that to qualify for government funding.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Andreas wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:43 am I think they have announced opening up the network for Norway.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3687 ... ay-sweden/

While the brand-owned exclusive charger network was a great tool to sell cars when nobody else had fast charging (or indeed any charging at all), those days are over and there is now a case, in particular in Europe, to consider opening it up and getting into the energy business, where some juicy (haha) margins can be made. Corporate noises from Tesla (e.g. on LinkedIn) are quite cooperative along the 'the more, the merrier' line.

I expect this to be a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

All the best

Andreas
"Government documents show that a small number, maybe five, of the Superchargers will be open to all EVs by the third quarter of 2022."

Norway probably already has a more advanced network of chargers (per capita) than the rest of Europe and the Superchargers in question article are being funded by Norwegian Government grants so they have forced Tesla to make them compatible with other EVs. 'I don't see that as rolling it out across Europe'.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I guess we will see. Two years or so ago I would have bought a Tesla simply for the charger access. Today, this doesn't figure at all in my buying decision. I think the fundamentals are moving in favor of opening up rather than remaining proprietary.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Tesla’s Superchargers have been Type 2/CCS since about 2018 (the Model 3 is Type 2 / CCS only) so there’s no physical connection issue preventing the ID.3 connecting to the Supercharger network right now. The charging heads are just programmed to mostly not deliver charge if what’s attached is not a Tesla.

When/if Tesla open up billing to non-Tesla owners, and on what basis, who knows. Elon is a space cadet fond of pre-announcing stuff; better to take his recent comments on opening Superchargers to non-Tesla drivers as a statement of intent rather than Tesla policy!

That said I think Tesla entering the public charging arena will likely be positive.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

This is Musk on the earnings call. It sounds a bit more serious than opening a couple of superchargers in Norway.
8 – Superchargers

We’re currently thinking it’s a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, and you go to Supercharger. And you just indicate which stall you’re in. So you plug in your car, even if it’s not Tesla.

And then you just access the app and say, turn on this stall that I’m in for how much electricity. And this should basically work with I think almost any manufacturer’s cars. There will be time constraints. If the charge rate is super slow, then somebody will be charged more because the biggest constraint at the Supercharger is time, how occupied is the stall.

And we’ll also be smarter with how we charge for electricity at the Supercharger. So rush hour charging will be more expensive than off-hours is charging because there are times when the Superchargers are empty and times when they’re jam-packed. And so it makes sense to have some time-based discrimination.
All the best

Andreas
——————
ThinWhiteDuke

Post by ThinWhiteDuke »

Andreas wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 pm This is Musk on the earnings call. It sounds a bit more serious than opening a couple of superchargers in Norway.
8 – Superchargers

We’re currently thinking it’s a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, and you go to Supercharger. And you just indicate which stall you’re in. So you plug in your car, even if it’s not Tesla.

And then you just access the app and say, turn on this stall that I’m in for how much electricity. And this should basically work with I think almost any manufacturer’s cars. There will be time constraints. If the charge rate is super slow, then somebody will be charged more because the biggest constraint at the Supercharger is time, how occupied is the stall.

And we’ll also be smarter with how we charge for electricity at the Supercharger. So rush hour charging will be more expensive than off-hours is charging because there are times when the Superchargers are empty and times when they’re jam-packed. And so it makes sense to have some time-based discrimination.
All the best

Andreas
Thanks Andreas
ID.3 Family Pro Performance 58Kwh; Scale Silver
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Lots of talk but I would be amazed if Tesla open them up any time soon. It is their trump card as the rest of the super fast charging infrastructure is so poor. It is the one thing that is making me wait for a model Y rather than getting an ID4 as I must have reliable super charging available for long journeys that I can 100% rely on. I will need to use super chargers ay least once every week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Well, if you can afford to spend that much!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Salmonfisher wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm Lots of talk but I would be amazed if Tesla open them up any time soon. It is their trump card as the rest of the super fast charging infrastructure is so poor. It is the one thing that is making me wait for a model Y rather than getting an ID4 as I must have reliable super charging available for long journeys that I can 100% rely on. I will need to use super chargers ay least once every week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.
It's an awkward thing to mention on an earnings call (rather than your twitter feed) if you have no intention of doing it.

All the best

Andreas
——————
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Andreas wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am
Salmonfisher wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm Lots of talk but I would be amazed if Tesla open them up any time soon. It is their trump card as the rest of the super fast charging infrastructure is so poor. It is the one thing that is making me wait for a model Y rather than getting an ID4 as I must have reliable super charging available for long journeys that I can 100% rely on. I will need to use super chargers ay least once every week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.
It's an awkward thing to mention on an earnings call (rather than your twitter feed) if you have no intention of doing it.

All the best

Andreas
They (Tesla) certainly acknowledge the ease with which they could do this. They have clearly put some thought into it but there is little indication as to when it is likely, in fact there is a caveat included which was that 'the supercharger network had to be growing at a rate greater than the EV market'. That's quite an ask.

40:46 Onwards if you want to hear it for yourself.
44:30 point about required growth in supercharger network
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks!

All the best

Andreas
——————
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I suspect you might have public supercharging available before the RHD Model Y is orderable….
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Depends how often you're travelling. I've just gone 200 miles to Kent, been an absolute breeze so far. In the last 6 months charging has become a lot easier