Using Tesla Chargers UK

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

This is Musk on the earnings call. It sounds a bit more serious than opening a couple of superchargers in Norway.
8 – Superchargers

We’re currently thinking it’s a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, and you go to Supercharger. And you just indicate which stall you’re in. So you plug in your car, even if it’s not Tesla.

And then you just access the app and say, turn on this stall that I’m in for how much electricity. And this should basically work with I think almost any manufacturer’s cars. There will be time constraints. If the charge rate is super slow, then somebody will be charged more because the biggest constraint at the Supercharger is time, how occupied is the stall.

And we’ll also be smarter with how we charge for electricity at the Supercharger. So rush hour charging will be more expensive than off-hours is charging because there are times when the Superchargers are empty and times when they’re jam-packed. And so it makes sense to have some time-based discrimination.
All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

ThinWhiteDuke

Post by ThinWhiteDuke »

Andreas wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 pm This is Musk on the earnings call. It sounds a bit more serious than opening a couple of superchargers in Norway.
8 – Superchargers

We’re currently thinking it’s a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, and you go to Supercharger. And you just indicate which stall you’re in. So you plug in your car, even if it’s not Tesla.

And then you just access the app and say, turn on this stall that I’m in for how much electricity. And this should basically work with I think almost any manufacturer’s cars. There will be time constraints. If the charge rate is super slow, then somebody will be charged more because the biggest constraint at the Supercharger is time, how occupied is the stall.

And we’ll also be smarter with how we charge for electricity at the Supercharger. So rush hour charging will be more expensive than off-hours is charging because there are times when the Superchargers are empty and times when they’re jam-packed. And so it makes sense to have some time-based discrimination.
All the best

Andreas
Thanks Andreas
ID.3 Family Pro Performance 58Kwh; Scale Silver
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Lots of talk but I would be amazed if Tesla open them up any time soon. It is their trump card as the rest of the super fast charging infrastructure is so poor. It is the one thing that is making me wait for a model Y rather than getting an ID4 as I must have reliable super charging available for long journeys that I can 100% rely on. I will need to use super chargers ay least once every week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Well, if you can afford to spend that much!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Salmonfisher wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm Lots of talk but I would be amazed if Tesla open them up any time soon. It is their trump card as the rest of the super fast charging infrastructure is so poor. It is the one thing that is making me wait for a model Y rather than getting an ID4 as I must have reliable super charging available for long journeys that I can 100% rely on. I will need to use super chargers ay least once every week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.
It's an awkward thing to mention on an earnings call (rather than your twitter feed) if you have no intention of doing it.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Andreas wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am
Salmonfisher wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm Lots of talk but I would be amazed if Tesla open them up any time soon. It is their trump card as the rest of the super fast charging infrastructure is so poor. It is the one thing that is making me wait for a model Y rather than getting an ID4 as I must have reliable super charging available for long journeys that I can 100% rely on. I will need to use super chargers ay least once every week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.
It's an awkward thing to mention on an earnings call (rather than your twitter feed) if you have no intention of doing it.

All the best

Andreas
They (Tesla) certainly acknowledge the ease with which they could do this. They have clearly put some thought into it but there is little indication as to when it is likely, in fact there is a caveat included which was that 'the supercharger network had to be growing at a rate greater than the EV market'. That's quite an ask.

40:46 Onwards if you want to hear it for yourself.
44:30 point about required growth in supercharger network
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks!

All the best

Andreas
——————
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I suspect you might have public supercharging available before the RHD Model Y is orderable….
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Depends how often you're travelling. I've just gone 200 miles to Kent, been an absolute breeze so far. In the last 6 months charging has become a lot easier