Tyre wear

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

I am assuming the regen is from the rear wheels and therefore actually the rears are going to take a hammering from both drive and braking assuming you anticipate and attempt to make the most of regen braking?
Good point, missed that. Explains the characteristic perfectly -
'optimising Regen' is one of the new self-taught skills of the EV world!
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It does seem bizarre in an ICE world that the cost of tyres may be more per mile than juice (for an EV). Though it’s easy to redress that balance by fitting cheaper tyres…

(Awaits string of posts saying why not..) 😁
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I’ve always gone for cheaper tyres in the past.
But on my last three cars I didn’t have to change them so it’s been a while.
I was looking at Avons for the ID3 as they are a respected brand made in uk and cheaper than others previously mentioned.
Would welcome opinions
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I went with Avon’s on my previous car (Volvo v40) as the Goodyear seemed to west fast. They seemed fine to me…
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Well, I spoke with a nice man from Bridgestone today who told me that the Turanza Eco tyre has a tread of 5.9mm when new, not the 8mm you would expect. Apparently it's a harder tyre so won't wear as quickly. I'm a lot happier now (and will be even happier when I've given the VW service dealership a bit of a maths lesson). But I'll certainly be watching the tyres carefully.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Good info.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

That would make the tyres far less scary for wear!
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
mez

Post by mez »

Similar issue here. ID3 Life Pro delivered new in February '21. During a mirror repair in August my local VW workshop marked the two rear tyres as red "Immediate Action Required" on their report - the rear tyres need replacing now. After 7500 miles and barely 6 months of school runs!! I followed up with VW by emailing them at weconnect-support describing the weird issue with my rear tyres and asking why - interestingly they spoke to my local workshop rather quickly and then phoned me back. The workshop elaborated that my rear tyres (only) were "cut to the cord" and needed to be replaced, possibly by driving over broken glass!

VW's proactiveness surprised me in this instance. I am suspicious. And I don't buy the broken glass explanation at all - not least because that wouldn't typically affect just 2 tyres, on the same axle.

So now I'm left with a nearly new car that has some kind of fault with the factory-fitted rear tyres. And I am just out of the VW 6 month warranty on consumables (they were keen to point out to me on the phone, somewhat smugly). So I have to pay for the new boots. For your comparison purposes, typical car tyre life ranges from between 3 - 6 years, and between 20,000 to 60,000 miles.

If this tyre wear issue is impacting many owners we should collectively approach VW as it is my belief there is a product quality issue at play here. Any interest out there? Any more folks with catastrophic tyre wear experiences?
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

If they were Bridgestones I'd be glad of the opportunity to ditch them early. Cost notwithstanding, obviously.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:10 pm If they were Bridgestones I'd be glad of the opportunity to ditch them early. Cost notwithstanding, obviously.
Agreed, they are shite! I have ditched Bridgestones on day 1 previously on a few hot VWs because traction, grip, ride and noise have been woeful (rock hard compound).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:04 pm Similar issue here. ID3 Life Pro delivered new in February '21. During a mirror repair in August my local VW workshop marked the two rear tyres as red "Immediate Action Required" on their report - the rear tyres need replacing now. After 7500 miles and barely 6 months of school runs!! I followed up with VW by emailing them at weconnect-support describing the weird issue with my rear tyres and asking why - interestingly they spoke to my local workshop rather quickly and then phoned me back. The workshop elaborated that my rear tyres (only) were "cut to the cord" and needed to be replaced, possibly by driving over broken glass!

VW's proactiveness surprised me in this instance. I am suspicious. And I don't buy the broken glass explanation at all - not least because that wouldn't typically affect just 2 tyres, on the same axle.

So now I'm left with a nearly new car that has some kind of fault with the factory-fitted rear tyres. And I am just out of the VW 6 month warranty on consumables (they were keen to point out to me on the phone, somewhat smugly). So I have to pay for the new boots. For your comparison purposes, typical car tyre life ranges from between 3 - 6 years, and between 20,000 to 60,000 miles.

If this tyre wear issue is impacting many owners we should collectively approach VW as it is my belief there is a product quality issue at play here. Any interest out there? Any more folks with catastrophic tyre wear experiences?
Did you witness the tyre wear or just believe what you're told?

Just interested to know whether it was down to the cords, whether that wear was even or indicative of over/under inflation etc.

How is regen braking rather than proper braking any worse on the tyres? The slowing of the wheels is no more severe one way or the other. What may be happening is that people with 4WD with FWD bias or FWD are expecting the rears to last ages (~40k miles) while the fronts go quite early (~15k miles), where the opposite is likely to be true when the ID3 is driven with the rear wheels and the rears are doing a lot of the braking. Don't forget these cars are a third heavier than the likes of a Golf.

I wouldn't be disappointed with 10k miles on the rears and would replace my Flintstone ditch finders with something from Michelin or Goodyear.

van

Post by van »

Somewhere I've read that the cars are delivered inflated to 46psi and not always adjusted during pdi. Could that be a contributory factor?
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:25 pm Flintstone ditch finders

FYI this caused me to spit my tea out onto my keyboard in a genuine lol moment...
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I’m assuming once I take delivery of mine (in March 🤞) that 215’s won’t be as expensive to replace as the 235’s on my current SEAT. I normally run on winter tyres from mid November to the end of March so I’m hoping for at least 2 years without having to replace any. Thanks for the tyre wear feedback posted though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

tomstring wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:27 am I’m assuming once I take delivery of mine (in March 🤞) that 215’s won’t be as expensive to replace as the 235’s on my current SEAT. I normally run on winter tyres from mid November to the end of March so I’m hoping for at least 2 years without having to replace any. Thanks for the tyre wear feedback posted though.
Don't assume a smaller width tyre means a smaller price. If the tyre size used is uncommon, you'll pay a premium on it.

My Polo GTI came on Bridgestone Potenza 215/40 R18s. You'd expect this size to be cheaper than 225/40 R18s?

The 215/40s are a rare size, the 225/40s are incredibly common, being used on so many cars. When I decided to ditch teh Bridgestones for some Michelin PS4s (the Bridgestones were so bad), the 215/40 price was around £160 a tyre fitted, the 225/40 price was around £90 a tyre fitted. Needless to say, after determining the rolling circumference was only 1.2% out and the extra width wouldn't cause any rubbing/snagging on full lock, I bought the 225s!

Costco had some Michelin all-season Alpins in that would fit the 18" wheeled ID3, coming in at around £106 a tyre fully fitted with a Michelin Promo that is on periodically (£80 off 4 x 18" tyres)

tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Many thanks for your informative reply regarding tyre size versus cost.
Chivers

Post by Chivers »

Have you all seen this from DEKRA - an independent German consumer organisation?

https://dgaddcosprod.blob.core.windows. ... 55-r16.pdf
ID.3 Family 150kw, built 11/2020.
v2.4 in Apr. 2023. . .
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

My car was delivered in July 2021, and one front and one rear type had a puncture during the snow and ice conditions in the last few weeks.
Unfortunately I had to get tyres quickly so couldn't wait for the special Eco Bridgestone Enlighten that it came with and put on some normal "B" eco rated tyres (continential 6 upfront and bridgestone turanza rear). Definitively slightly grippier in the rain then the enlighten's but also noticed a loss of fuel efficiency on the motorway. Will probably go back to the enlightens, or maybe some Michelin ECO As, at the next change if I can ....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Royboy

Post by Royboy »

Just completed 6700 miles, unfortunately had side wall puncture, at my garage was advised would soon have to replace my ID3 Bridgestone tyres as front 2.9 and 2,8 mm., rear 2.7 and 2.6 mm., I decided replace straight away as although legal limit 1.5mm., it has I had always changed when tread level 2.5mm., at cost of more than £500 replaced with a make other than Bridgestone and have Emailed Bridgestone and VW to complain.

Actual mileage is 6771, VW Family ID3., my car is generally kept in my garage at home, my pressures are checked two weekly and I am not a boy/girl racer and do not drive my car off road, I expect at least 16000 miles tyre wear (giving allowance for heavier vehicle), is this unreasonable?
3twins

Post by 3twins »

My car has about 9500 miles now and came with Bridgestones. I rotated them at about 5000 miles and have around 3mm all round now so reckon I'll get 12000 miles before they are at 2mm when I will replace them. These tyres have a reputation for fast wear (not helped by starting of at 5.9mm and not the more common 8mm). I've found them ok for grip. My last car a Hyundai Ioniq had michelin Energy Savers 205/55 R16 size and I replaced them at 19,000 miles when they were less than half worn because they were lethal in Winter (that is cold wet and salted conditions) very very little grip appeared as if they would have lasted 40,000 miles though. I'm sure taxi drives love them!!. I replaced these with Goodyear Vector Gen 2's four season tyres which were astonishingly good in winter conditions and particularly when we had a bit of snow. I live at the top of a hill on an untreated road and in the snow and ice the car just drove up the hill no drama with the Goodyears on. In similar conditions with the Michelins I had to park the car and walk 3/4 of a mile! Didn't notice an efficency drop with the Goodyears either. I intend to replace the tyres on the ID3 with Goodyear, Michelin or Continental all season tyres when I replace these.
Id.3 Family Pro Performance East Derry's Heat pump and cycle carrier prep.