Battery usage on journays

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I find KW and KWh a bit theoretical

I went on my first "long" drive today (well for me as a townie), london - colchester and back (well mersea to be accurate), via a pub sort of on the way ;), around 70% on motorways or A roads

Used AC all the time, Satnav and Radio

Was charged 90% at beginning, went to 21% after 155 miles with the readout saying average of 4 KWh since charge, which is pretty good

69% of a tank effectively at under a £6 charge and still on old rate, waiting to switch to Octopus energy.

This is very comforting in terms of range and I think the tank bests my previous BMW 2 Grand Tourer 218i in town on range, and is slightly less for long distance, which makes sense

Of course its much cheaper, that wasn't the main reason I bought the car, but I must say is satisfying. Don't really have range anxiety on the ID3 now, the opposite of what I originally thought. In fact want to drive more and more ....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

It only takes a couple of longer trips and a public charge to put the range anxiety way behind you.
😊
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

I disagree. Range anxiety is always an issue - or at least “Public charger anxiety”.
Travelling to South Wales from Perthshire yesterday with 3 granddaughters in the back, arrived at Gretna - 4 Ionity rapids - 3 in use and one being fixed. 20 minute wait and then 80% charge.
Second charge at Legh Arms, Knutsford with plans for a picnic (and ale!) in their big beer garden. Landlord said we could only use it if we ate their food so it remained empty! 3 attempts to charge - green light turned to red - was the plug loose?
Arrived at destination with 9% charge. 10 hour journey. ICE car used to take 7-8 hours.
This is the compromise we make to travel electric- I don’t particularly mind it, but don’t blithely claim that long journeys in an EV are anxiety-free. 😵💫
JimG

Post by JimG »

The optimum charge guidance to extend the life of your battery is from 20% drain and up to 80% charge!

But it is OK to charge to 100% for the occasional longer trip. I had a leaf for 3 years and with regular slow home charging and occasional rapid charging to 100% on longer trips I ended up with 93% of my original battery capacity.

It is this deterioration that the manufacturer’s do not tell us about, it is charging to full capacity and dropping to a low level that reduce the overall battery life and therefore capacity.

Hence guidance to drop to 20% or just below and charge to approximately 80% to 90%, keeping top end down.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

KeithR wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:31 am I disagree. Range anxiety is always an issue - or at least “Public charger anxiety”.
Travelling to South Wales from Perthshire yesterday with 3 granddaughters in the back, arrived at Gretna - 4 Ionity rapids - 3 in use and one being fixed. 20 minute wait and then 80% charge.
Second charge at Legh Arms, Knutsford with plans for a picnic (and ale!) in their big beer garden. Landlord said we could only use it if we ate their food so it remained empty! 3 attempts to charge - green light turned to red - was the plug loose?
Arrived at destination with 9% charge. 10 hour journey. ICE car used to take 7-8 hours.
This is the compromise we make to travel electric- I don’t particularly mind it, but don’t blithely claim that long journeys in an EV are anxiety-free. 😵💫
My experiences have all been good so I speak as I find. With planning and a degree of flexibility there is no need to be anxious. Just get on with it.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

KeithR wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:31 am I disagree. Range anxiety is always an issue - or at least “Public charger anxiety”.
I have two questions around this.
I read that Marston's had gone into partnership with Engenie to provide charging points at all it's pubs. I understood that you still paid for the facility via card, Do you have to ask permission in some way to hook up? (There is a Marston's with a 50kw charger near me that I had earmarked as a fall back rather than the BP station should I ever need a local charger)

The other one however is possibly the ex-licensee in me asking whether, as your summary suggests, you turned up at a Marston's pub (primarily a food pubs) with your own food to have a picnic in their beer garden and wanted to use their charger? If so I am not surprised the landlord was less than helpful.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve used an opsrey charger in a Marstons pub car park - it was right at the end away from the pub - and the rapid chargers quite clearly look like they’re somebody else’s parafinalia jetted into a pub car park. I parked up, and went to the KFC over the road for a coffee and the Asda to do some shopping. No one batted an eyelid.

It was a new build pub on the edge of an industrial estate/shopping area for context.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I regularly use a Marsdens pub by me which has an Osprey charger as have another half dozen in the west Midlands without any problems, i just plug in and go off shopping and have never had any problems , i assume rightly or wrongly that the pub gets a commission from each transaction
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

If you’re paying for the charge, you might not need to be a customer of the pub, best to check the signage on site.

A lot of hotel and gym car parks that have chargers, you have to give your reg to the reception or you might get a parking fine.