Viability of Road Trips in EVs?

The place to discuss everything else..
ID3Owner

Viability of Road Trips in EVs?

Post by ID3Owner » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:52 pm

One of the big reasons that I’ve been hesitant on investing in an EV until now is because my spouse and I like to go on road trips. While I know most EV’s can last around 200 miles, we plan on taking much longer trips in the future. How long do you think it’ll take for EV’s to be a reliable option for road tripping? Would love to hear your thoughts. Or best advice for under taking longer trips.

For example, we live in North East England but drive to Disney Paris, how easy will this journey be?

Camellia

Re: Viability of Road Trips in EVs?

Post by Camellia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 am

Well more and more charging stations are now available and which is improving every year. As more electric cars hit the road, we can expect to see more charging stations available each year. More stations are being added to the list every week, not just in larger towns and cities, but throughout the country.
I'm hoping the sat nav can do something clever and plan longer routes with charge stops in mind.

Rhevian

Post by Rhevian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:24 pm

I had been planning a holiday near Berlin this summer (until, you know...) and in the hope I might have the ID3 in time, I looked into charging options. There’s a really good website (and app) called abetterrouteplanner.com - tell it what car you have, and where you’re going, and it will suggest charging stops along the way, and predict charge levels at each one, and how long you need to stop at each point. Zap-map is another good site, for the UK only.

I expect to mainly use the car’s own built in software once I have it, But this site looks great for planning.

Rhevian

Post by Rhevian » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:36 am

Here’s an example route from a random point in the NW to Disneyland: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... 5bd2f6674d
Stopping for charges in Stoke on Trent, Milton Keynes, just beyond Calais, and near Paris
A little over 9h driving, and around 2.5h charging