Not taking any new orders?

The place to discuss everything else..
van

Post by van »

Hi all, I picked up something on one of the iD.3 Facebook pages this morning suggesting that VW, along with several other manufacturers, are not taking any new orders due to the shortage of just-about-everything and the long backlog that has built up accordingly. Unfortunately the post didn't link to wherever that news had been gleaned from, though several replies did coroborate it.

I can no longer find the post to ask where the info came from, and the only news I've found on-line was a Reuters report from yesterday about Volvo halting production temporarily due to shortages of parts.

Has anyone else picked this up from recent news?

My order is in, expected Jan/Feb which suits me OK. Just curious as to the veracity of the posting. The impact of Covid continues :(
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.

ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Thats not great news! I placed my order at the end of July so only 2 weeks and a half weeks ago. My dealer said my expected delivery is end of Oct/beginning of Nov but I'm sure you didn't order much later than me, especially not enough to get such a gap in expected deliveries! and this news doesn't bring me much hope either 😅

Same model and colour as you too so I wonder how that's happened
I.D 3 Family Pro - Order placed 26.07.21 - Picked up 20.02.22
van

Post by van »

Whoa! Don't panic. I don't know if it is news or not!! I can't find any info on the net about it which is why I made the post. It may be fake news as I can no longer find the Facebook post (mind you me and Facebook don't get on so it may still be there but I can't see it!) .

As to my timescale, I had confirmation that my order was in this Monday, ordered through the dealer on Thursday before (delay due to finance credit check) but the dealer was managing expectations with Jan/Feb. He hoped mine would get through sooner than that if supply issues etc improved, which - he said - VW hoped would happen. I'm not holding my breath though. We've been living through troubled times, and they continue to trouble us.

For info, elsewhere on one of the Facebook groups a dealer in Stockport said that they had a number of iD.3s on the forecourt. Might be worth a look if you have concerns about the factory order. I don't not what variants they had.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
JonS

Post by JonS »

Mine was ordered in the first week of June and the dealer is still unsure of build week more than two months later. Starting to think about forgetting the whole thing unless they can give me some indication of when it might be built. The dealer initially thought it would be with me by September but that seems increasingly unlikely now.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

It’s not unusual to pause taking new orders for vehicles if there’s a long backlog. I recall that the 150PS petrol Tiguan “launched” a few years ago was unorderable for 6 months at least because VW had a run on the Golf with the same engine and prioritised building Golfs rather than Tiguans.

So if true, I don’t think it’s indicative of anything except component shortages…which isn’t news.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I don't know how much these delays are related to the global shortage of chips, but a recent Economist podcast had an interesting article about it here:

https://econ.st/3yRIoMc

The item starts about 8 minutes in, but unfortunately you'll have to put up with a couple of adverts before you get there.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

There have been multiple posts in the UK Facebook group this week of people placing orders, albeit with a long lead time or no lead time stated.

There are also dealers who have stock, or who have cars coming into stock over the next month or so.